Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 2:48:24 PM EDT
My attempt at a genuine tech question despite being a newbie to assembling AR's.

I have purchased 2 slightly used Bushmaster uppers that I will be assembling in one config or another.

My question is: if I decide to assemble an accurate varmit rifle, what influence does the upper have on accuracy, or is it all in the barrel and bolt/ lockup/ headspace? Strictly referring to the rifle, not ammo.

Since I have access to tool room equipment and tools, CMM, etc., is there anything I should measure on the uppers, e.g. the bore for the bolt?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about upper receivers with NO barrel? The upper receivers themselves have no bearing on accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#2]
With no barrel, I would be throwing it rather than shooting from it. But that would defeat the intention I have for the upper.

Once assembled as a complete rifle. I do not know what influence an may have on accuracy once a round is chambered.

If you were referring to my inquiry on inspection, I meant without a barrel, inspecting the upper prior to assembly. This is a used upper.

Quoted:
Are you talking about upper receivers with NO barrel? The upper receivers themselves have no bearing on accuracy.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The accuracy is going to come from the barrel. Headspace is set at the factory via the barrel extension, so the upper plays no part whatsoever in the equation (other than attaching the barrel to the rifle.)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
the upper reciever has close to no effect on the accuracy unless it is damaged or warped but then it wouldnt even function then.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top