Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:00:28 PM EDT
http://www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/palefrei/2006219165010_MyAR-01.jpg

How screwed am I? Is is something I can remedy with a new lower receiver replacement?

What's the known issues, what can I look for, fix or replace?

I've got $675 in it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:02:44 PM EDT
Does it run? If so, then what's the problem?

P.S. Damn, how old is that Surefire handing off of the front?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:04:51 PM EDT
Sell it to someone and get a real weapon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:04:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Palefrei:
www.gunboards.com/forums/uploaded/palefrei/2006219165010_MyAR-01.jpg

How screwed am I? Is is something I can remedy with a new lower receiver replacement?

I've got $675 in it.

dont worry till it breaks. might be fine and youre worried over nothing
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:11:12 PM EDT
the lower is just a lower and only houses the parts the rest of the rifle is the problem.

but since you bought a hesse/vulcan you are in the good, they make one of the best
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:25:55 PM EDT
It would probably make the most sense to shoot it until something breaks, then replace the broken part, and repeat as necessary. The build it yourself forum is your friend. If you're concerned for your safety take it to a gunsmith to make sure it is structurally sound. Did you buy the rifle new or used?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:01:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gopeterson:

That about says it all IMHO.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:17:04 PM EDT
Well,
I haven't had a chance to go to the range. Just got it today.

But after Googling HESSE and searching a few forums, I began to get a nasty, sinking feeling deep in the pit of my belly....

I guess I'm looking for comforting words from ya'll, since my wife seems to be all outta sympathy today. 0)

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:22:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:26:19 PM EDT
Internet is internet. Don't believe everything you read. As a matter of fact, don't read most of what you read here. I call it the ARFCOM lemming effect.

If you stay here long enough, you will only have 1:7, 4150, M4 feedramp, chrome lined, mid gas system because everything else is garbage.

Form your own impression after you use it.

Until then, look for someone to sell it to.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:32:10 PM EDT
You told your wife?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:23:01 PM EDT
I had a HEXXE upper that looked like ass when it finally arrived. They lost my order and cashed my check. Took months to finally get it. It was during the ban so the ass monkees used a dremel tool on the bayonet lug and didn't even clean it up. Finish was worse than krylon paint and I had to virtually re-build the bolt to make it work worth a damn.

Friends don't let friends buy Hexxe.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:38:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SelectFire:
You told your wife?

+1

There are just some things that you don't discuss with the Mrs. Anytime mine asks me if that is a new gun, I answer her the same way she answers me when I question her about clothes, shoes, purses, jewelry, etc. by saying: "This old thing? I had this years before we even met. Why do you ask?". Lucky for me I have a good paying job AND I do odd jobs for cash. I just don't tell her how much I make on the odd jobs!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:41:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 3:42:23 PM EDT by JosephR]
who built that upper and what on God's green earth are you doing with that Ebay Surefire foregrip light setup? damn...

My advice is just to abuse it all until something breaks. Replace it and keep on going.

ETA: I think you need to reindex your A2.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:44:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:45:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:04:53 PM EDT
Is it a carbon fiber or aluminum Hesse lower? My eyes are bad...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:49:23 PM EDT
Its' aluminum, not carbon fibre.

AFAICT, it's a complete Hesse factory gun (Excepting the buttstock.)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:04:49 PM EDT
It might be a great rifle, are you happy with it is the question. Myself personaly, I would not buy one for certain personal reasons.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:23:08 PM EDT
It's probably fine, cant be any worse than one of those Oly plinkers Ive seen for sale. Mke sure you post after shooting it and let everybody know how great it is.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/19/2006 6:48:34 PM EDT by Knife_Sniper]
Dont worry about it.

It looks to me like it is forged if it is aluminum. I think your whole lower assembly is good to go. You also have a decent stock in place. If the lower is precise, even, and has a decent finish, than it looks pretty good so far.

Fire the weapon so you can tell us of any problems. If it runs fine then I think the only thing I would do to it would be to replace the bolt and carrier with colt or LMT products. Why? Hesses bolt and carrier are most likely going to be your weakspots. Budget bolts in particular just dont seem to stand up to the stress of firing the gun. After that slap in a nice lower parts kit with some KNS anti rotation pins just to be on the safe side. Oh and get a 9mm buffer to smooth out the recoil, but the buffer isn't really necessary.

If you dont feel cconfident in its internals, take the above steps. Otherwise, shoot it untill it breaks and then replace the broken components with higher quality parts.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:39:43 PM EDT
Just shoot it!
Plan on getting changing the brake for a flash hider, but otherwise shoot it!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:58:56 PM EDT
Sorry, I'm not up to date on surefires.

Why are y'all ragging on the Surefire?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:11:03 PM EDT
Just shoot the gun and have fun....Thats what you bought it for, right?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:42:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:

It's not a Surefire, that's why... Looks like an Ebay special which is a surefire looking grip and a 1" flashlight mount. If that really is just really old Surefire, excuse my ignorance but I don't think it is...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:02:05 PM EDT
Poor guy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:08:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:20:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 5:14:11 PM EDT by 1IV]
I have a hesse reciever G3, and it has a problem, they welded the rear sight base alittle off. No biggie, I adjust the rear sight, and bang on target. It is a workmanship issue with hesse. Your lower is not as refined as others, but I bet it works well. Shoot it I will bet the gun runs well, and is accurate. You got it cheap, and it looks good. If you want to sell that aluminum hesse lower stripped for $50shipped , and get another lower, I will buy it from you.

Gary
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:51:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Teknic:
Internet is internet. Don't believe everything you read. As a matter of fact, don't read most of what you read here. I call it the ARFCOM lemming effect.

If you stay here long enough, you will only have 1:7, 4150, M4 feedramp, chrome lined, mid gas system because everything else is garbage.

Awwww, crap. Now I'm not HSLD.
Actually, that's a refreshing view from a vendor.

Palefrei,
Go put a bunch of rounds through it and see what it does for you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:42:07 AM EDT
$675, you could almost get a Bushamster. Even closer to a RRA of DPMS.

Why??
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:01:34 AM EDT
Welcome aboard!!!

If the rifle works and YOU are pleased with it, then you did ok.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:05:58 AM EDT
Can we get a good pic of the lower reciever markings? I have always wondered what they looked like.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:34:17 AM EDT
just shoot it. Like they have said before if it fires fine then what's the problem. The lower just houses the lower parts. As far as i know they are built to milspec. Usually what i've read people complain about is the complete rifle because of the poor quality control when they put it together.

If i were you i'd shoot it see what it does and go from there. If it shoots fine and provides you a lot of joy then it's a steal for $675.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:08:03 AM EDT

Its' aluminum, not carbon fibre.

AFAICT, it's a complete Hesse factory gun (Excepting the buttstock.)

I wouldn't worry then. If it was a carbon fiber lower, I would give you a whole litany of what not to do with it/ on it/ to it. But aluminum will treat you right.

Just try to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:18:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JosephR:

Originally Posted By Justa_TXguy:

It's not a Surefire, that's why... Looks like an Ebay special which is a surefire looking grip and a 1" flashlight mount. If that really is just really old Surefire, excuse my ignorance but I don't think it is...

Looks like an Airsoft Surefire copy...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:50:11 AM EDT
Just shoot it and give us a range report!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:57:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By snacks:
As far as i know they are built to milspec.

Why don't you enlighten us as to the meaning of the term mil-spec?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:05:42 AM EDT
friend had a brand new hesse, damn thing would never eject a shell. turned into a poor excuse for a bolt action. the damn bolt was so tight inside the upper is what caused this i think. if it works keep it tell it takes a dive then go buy a bushmaster. also make sure you listen to combat_jack hes a true expert in his own mind.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:12:35 PM EDT
Uhoh...

Looking much closer at it, I see that it isn't an aluminium receiver. I can see the flash line from the mold (I think).

So it does look like its a carbon fibre receiver.

What that that portend?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:35:07 PM EDT
If it shoots shot it !

Never buy a rifle un seen!!

Unless a good dealer that is and is recomended by theAR 15 FORUM

Somtimes Id rather do without! and save save save!

WHen I bought my second rifle /AR15 in 2000 I wanted another Colt but all the guys said get bushmaster and I did and was lucky!

I would try and sell it or trade it in on a better brand name!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:30:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 9:32:10 AM EDT by SP10]

Originally Posted By Aimless:

Originally Posted By Teknic:

So can you post video of you shooting one of those Hesse .50 caliber thingies? We could probably work out a pay for view deal....

Where is the earth-shattering KABOOM??? There was SUPPOSED to be an earth shattering KABOOM!

<playing Hesse-sian roulette>
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:54:20 AM EDT
You say shoot it till it breaks...well what if when it breaks is when you need it? Buy a new ar15.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:25:48 AM EDT
I think I'm going to have mud-butt.

Take the Magpul and other small parts and run for the hills...build yourself a new AR whilst hiding from the Hesse Monster. *shuddering*

gunbroker.com that shit...get a BM or RRA. for about 100 bones more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:48:30 AM EDT
Im not usualy a brand snob, BUT when I hear Hesse it sounds like finger nails on a blackboard. EWwwww Iv seen some ugly FAL ones.

I would not buy cast AR receivers anyway. Someone liked it enough to buy it. Then spiff it up. I duno bro. Like others said if it works Shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:52:18 AM EDT

I've got $675 in it.

You know... If its Crap, nobody needs to know or care but you. If it's good to go, stick your chest out and tell everyone (crow like a rooster!). You won't know however, until you take it out and try it.

A couple of years ago, I bought a Century Arms M1 Garand. Everyone told me it was garbage. Turns out, it was a hell of a nice rifle. It even handled my funky handloads (or at least the 3000 or so I put through it). Never failed to feed, and accurate as the day is long. I recently sold it to a buddy so I could put together an ar15 a1 for my son.

I miss the hell out of it.

A deal is exactly what you make of it.

Mark
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:26:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 11:28:24 AM EDT by Homeinvader]
So it is carbon fiber. How about the upper? Carbon fiber too?

The best advice is to leave it alone in every respect. Shoot it normally, but be very careful when disassembling it. Remove the front pivot pin entirely, do not actually pivot the upper on the lower when you want to take it apart or you'll eventually break the front of the lower off. Do not unscrew the barrel (if the upper is carbon fiber) or the buffer tube unless it's to replace a broken part. The threads are of course carbon fiber and they will not last more than a few disassemblies before they round out and cease to hold anything.

In general, the less you remove or disturb anything the longer it will last. I don't mean to make it sound like it's made of porcelain, but if you treat it like it was, it will last longer. Just remember, it's not a combat gun. If you drop it, it will break.

Carbon fiber is great at reducing weight while maintaining strength against flex, but it is NOT a material that can withstand torque very well nor was it ever intended to be used as a fastener (threaded). AR lowers (and uppers) do not flex under normal use and it has never really made sense to me why someone thought carbon fiber was a good material to use. When you see carbon fiber used correctly in this manner, it has embedded metal inserts when a fastener is needed and uses embedded metal to strengthen areas where torque is applied (the area where the buffer tube attaches). You would NEVER thread carbon fiber to attach metal, unless of course if you're an engineer at Hesse or Vulcan, in which case you're genius.

Next time you are at a high-end bike store, check out any carbon fiber frames they may have. Look at the brake bosses, the wheel drop outs, the bottom bracket, etc. They're all metal inserts bonded to the carbon fiber, NOT carbon fiber themselves. This is how you would properly use carbon fiber.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:28:05 AM EDT

I've got $675 in it.

Your bbl. is very shiny.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:40:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 20iner:

I've got $675 in it.

Your bbl. is very shiny.

Looks like an anodized aluminum barrel
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:53:20 AM EDT
it's not carbon fiber like you are thinking. it's carbon injected polymer or something like that.

It's plastic with fibers in it.

think: fiberglass
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:29:31 PM EDT

quote]
+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:30:58 PM EDT

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top