Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 11:23:03 PM EDT
I have an M4 style carbine, if I remove the front site entirely, could I install a full length picatinny rail system? To make it into a dissipator style rifle? Would I need anything else to do this? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:57:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Your barrel is 16" right? And the full length rail you want to put on is 12" (or so). Long as you install a gas block that fits under the rail system, should be ok. Now, I'm a noob and I don't have a  carbine (yet, still building it though) but from what I understand, should be no problem.

Make sure you post pics..

Gene
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct, it is a 16" M4 profile barrel. A Gas block huh? Alright I'll start shopping!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
you could always cut the fsb down to make your own low pro gas block
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You can do that too. I cut mine down with no problem but, I would like to give you a small piece of advice: go on the EE and buy another fsb to cut down. I've seen them for as low as $10.00.

Why should you do that? In the future if you ever want to change the set-up on your rifle and decide to go back to a standardFSB you may end up having a hard time getting one that lines up perfectly with your barrels taper pin holes. Since most FSB's are drilled (and thus "matched" to each barrel), save the one that goes with that barrel and buy another one to cut down.

Ok, that's my 2 cents.

Good luck with your build.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can do that too. I cut mine down with no problem but, I would like to give you a small piece of advice: go on the EE and buy another fsb to cut down. I've seen them for as low as $10.00.

Why should you do that? In the future if you ever want to change the set-up on your rifle and decide to go back to a standardFSB you may end up having a hard time getting one that lines up perfectly with your barrels taper pin holes. Since most FSB's are drilled (and thus "matched" to each barrel), save the one that goes with that barrel and buy another one to cut down.

Ok, that's my 2 cents.

Good luck with your build.

Gene

Nice idea.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top