Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2006 6:13:15 PM EDT
Hey, I was wondering if the RAS handguards used on the M4 carbines in Iraq are free-float or not.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
they are not free float.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
they are not free float.

Indeed. They are pretty nice though.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope. But yes, they are very nice.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
oops, double post
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#5]
As stated above not free float.  As i remember it from when I was at 1st Group they went from the regular profile M4 barrel to the "socom" (the cool new catch phrase) heavy barrel for two reasons.
1) as Operators would pull the forward grip back towards them for stability it would put just enough stress and bend in the barrel to cause some of the bolt lugs to shear off, this was because the RAS was not a free float system.
2) at sustained rates of automatic fire the thin profile under the handguards would fail and rupture the barrel once it heated up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#6]
torquing on a vfg can cas bolt lugs to shear?  WTF over?  Anyone have first hand experience b/c I'm not using free float and I hope this never becomes an issue...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

torquing on a vfg can cas bolt lugs to shear? WTF over? Anyone have first hand experience b/c I'm not using free float and I hope this never becomes an issue...

Relax.... he talking real deal guys with mega high round counts doing mega mag dumps on high round count weapons. And these guys got arms like Popeye......

This is not a widespread problem if at all....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Relax.... he talking real deal guys with mega high round counts doing mega mag dumps on high round count weapons. And these guys got arms like Popeye......

TRANSLATION

Relax, he's talking about SF soldiers that shoot a lot of rounds through fully automatic weapons...

This is not a widespread problem if at all...

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Nope. But yes, they are very nice.

WOW, you've actually seen and touched a REAL KAC RAS???
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRANSLATION

Relax, he's talking about SF soldiers that shoot a lot of rounds through fully automatic weapons...

This is not a widespread problem if at all...

I find it hard to believe that somone could put enough pressure on the barrel by pulling back on a VFG to bend not only the barrel, but the upper as well. Since the upper would have to give inorder for the barrel to pivot that much at the extension when the barrel nut it properly torqued.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
 First I've ever heard of this.  Seems a bit far fetched, even at sustained full-auto.  

I should add that I have never run through more than three 30 round mags at F/A, so maybe I don't know.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't say it happened in every gun, but it did happen.  Bolts got sheared and barrels got ruptured. And as stated above we shot a bit more than you guys do, several thousand rounds a week.  Hell, one rehearsal of a break out from encirclement drill will run you through about 300-400 rounds in about 5 minutes or less.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top