Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 12:10:14 PM EDT
What disadvantages would dedicated muzzle brakes such as the JP, Miculek, or Cooley have on a tactical rifle?  Certainly noise is confined spaces comes to mind.  What about flash?  It seems like for full-auto, these would improve control.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like u answered your own question
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Proper technique will control the recoil and muzzle rise, all a muzzle brake does is piss off everyone in the same zipcode as the shooter.  For a competition rifle, maybe.  For a tactical/serious/social/combat rifle?  Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
..., I think it would speed up follow up shots.

I think Pete would hate you though....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I would think a muzzle brake would be a bad thing since it would possibly impact your ability to bumpfire the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
you could try the troy muzzle break / flash suppressor
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
First of all, in a real world mission, who the hell cares about muzzle flash AND controlling recoil.  If I'm a sniper or laying down fire from an ambush on someone's flank, then I'll worry about being spotted.  But we don't fight that kind of battle any more.  We're inside buildings, houses, huts and everything else.  I can tell you that it doesn't matter what you have on your rifle, indoors it's gonna be loud!  And flash hiders/suppressors don't work anyways.  You're so full of adrenaline when you're kicking in a door that it doesn't matter how much noise is in the room.  My ears don't ring when we're done and I hear perfectly during our engagements and well after (just took a hearing test and had nothing higher than a 10....that's awesome!).  

So in the end....go with what feels right to you.  BTW...full auto sucks in the real world and remember 99% of folks here have never been shot at.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree, in the real world you wont even notice the noise. I also dont think there is enough recoil out of a 5.56 for the needs of a muzzle break. I dont even feel mine when I shoot, I just hear that god awful twainging from the buffer spring.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top