Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:09:02 AM EDT
I installed a YHM flip-up front-sight base/gas block on one of my rifles, and am wondering if it would be a good idea to put some blue loctite on it, just to be sure.

One the one hand, I wonder if the screws might loosen over time - but since the gas block area probably gets really HOT, I also wonder if blue loctite would do any good, as I believe it loosens when heated anyway.

What have you guys done in the past - or is the YHM type of "clamp-on" front sight base just a bad idea from the get go?  

ETA:  The installation instructions from YHM do not mention loctite, just say to tighten the screws.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Those things have been popping up all over. I'm going to put one on a rifle because it looks cooler than the one I have and we all know that looking cool is the main thing.

I'm gonna use red loctite.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Those things have been popping up all over. I'm going to put one on a rifle because it looks cooler than the one I have and we all know that looking cool is the main thing.

I actually don't particularly like things like that (just seem more flimsy and prone to breakage that a regular FSB), but I really wanted to get it out of the way for my EOThingy - for all my other rifles, I'm perfectly happy with the standard (and solid) base.

I'm gonna use red loctite.

Because the blue one will loosen because of heat?  Or jsut because red is stronger in general?

Sorry, I'm a complete loctite newbie
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:29:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Red is stronger. I dunno about the heat. I think there is some purple stuff that is even stronger. I wish they'd just make one we could have pinned.

I want to mount my 3.5X10X40mm scope as low as possible. I'm going to use flip sights front and rear. I want to mount my scope forward of the rear flip site, which has nothing to do with the conversation, actually.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:24:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't found blue loctite useful on gas block/FSB screws. I am assuming because of the heat. I do use it everywhere else though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:40:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Loctite that puppy!

Red or blue?

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Red
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]
23,531 posts on ARFCOM and you do not know if locktite is a good idea or not?  

Personally, I think low profile gas blocks should be pinned. Red should be considered the bare minimum.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Also, replace the supplied screws with torx head cap screws for much greater clamping force.  If you can search the archives, I started a thread discussing that topic several months ago.  I made the swap and the amount of torque you can apply is significantly greater than when using the standard hex heads.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I was just surprised that YHM didn't recommend it on their own webpage, in their installation instructions.  (Perhaps to protect themselves against complaints from idiots who install it upside down or something, and then cant get it off because of the loctite )

Personally, I think low profile gas blocks should be pinned. Red should be considered the bare minimum.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was just surprised that YHM didn't recommend it on their own webpage, in their installation instructions.  (Perhaps to protect themselves against complaints from idiots who install it upside down or something, and then cant get it off because of the loctite )

Thanks!!

YHM doesn't tell you to use loc-tite because its operational teperature range is too low for the application. Unless you go with green loc-tite you will melt the strongest red at 400 degrees. That seams like a lot but that is not, 3 semi-auto mag dumps with get you to 400 degrees.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!!

YHM doesn't tell you to use loc-tite because its operational teperature range is too low for the application. Unless you go with green loc-tite you will melt the strongest red at 400 degrees. That seams like a lot but that is not, 3 semi-auto mag dumps with get you to 400 degrees.

Ah ha - so I'm definitely going to go to Home Depot and look for those torx screws that LarryLover was talking about above.

Maybe I'll throw on some red loctite anyway, just for giggles - can't hurt.  Although this is on my 10.5" SBR, and I like the rapid-fire, so it defnitely gets hot fast.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
in one of my ar-15 books it talks about locktighting the FSP on for DCM shooting.  once it was adjusted for zero windage on the rear sight they put in green 190.  which is a wicking compound applied to parts already put together.  

just looked on loctites site and its 290 not 190.  

heres the link to it.

tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/290-EN.pdf
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#16]
tagged
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
in one of my ar-15 books it talks about locktighting the FSP on for DCM shooting.  once it was adjusted for zero windage on the rear sight they put in green 190.  which is a wicking compound applied to parts already put together.  

DING! We have a winner.
The penetrating green Loctite will do the trick. It will get down in the space between barrel and FSB.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Just remember green is more or less permanent.  We use it on some assemblies at work that we do not ever want to come apart.  I have heard 600 degrees or so to break it down.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top