Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:08:06 PM EDT
I was wondering if any one had any tricks to painting the FIRE / SAFE roll marks on a lower.  I have never been any good at coloring inside the lines, so I hope there is someting other than a steady hand that will make this easy   Also, what kind of paint works best?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Look in the FAQ on the build forum. Third page IIRC
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I never paid much attention to the roll marks on my first Molycoat job, and I noticed that I can see some black through the OD green.  I would recommend maybe a few very light coats at multiple angels to get into the roll marks before coating the whole lower.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was wondering if any one had any tricks to painting the FIRE / SAFE roll marks on a lower.  I have never been any good at coloring inside the lines, so I hope there is someting other than a steady hand that will make this easy   Also, what kind of paint works best?

I didn't even use paint, I Just used Crayolas... All I did was move the crayon so it would catch on the lines and fill in. Use alittle bit of CLP to clean up the edges and it hasn't gone anywhere.

Nathan
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Opps, I guess I got it backwards.  I thought you wanted to make sure you got paint in the roll marks when you were painting the whole lower.

I just used a white and red china marker and rubbed it in real good then wiped clear with CLP.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my first attempt at filling in the roll marks

I refinished & baked the entire lower in tan first.  Once it cooled, I dropped as little moly resin as possible onto the roll marks (it basically made big circles of black) and allowed it to air dry.  I then went back over it lightly with paper towels soaked in MEK to remove the excess.  Once I had it cleaned up how I liked it, I baked it once more to cure the roll marks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top