Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2006 9:20:41 PM EDT
A former Marine (0311, 1969 Vietnam, northern I Corps, Kilo 3/9, 2 purple hearts thanks to Khe Sanh area and Chi-Coms) I handled the M-16 quite a bit and always wanted a civilian AR-15.

It took 35 years, but today I finally bought a Bushmaster M4A3 Type carbine, the XHM15-ES2 (14.5 barrell and welded Izzy). It looks enough like my old M16 to satisfy my nostalgia, but damn has it ever changed. Wish I'd had one like this in the Nam. Will probably have to learn how to shoot all over again -- was pretty damn good in the Nam with it, especially at night on auto (ha).

Vision is not what it used to be, and will consider a red dot site down the line.

But for now, can you guys give me your first, best tips on using this beauty.

S/F to fellow grunts out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The best advice is  just to start reading. After 2 weeks(thats how long it took me at 12 hours a day), you can get through most of the posts. If you have any questions then, we will show you to a post you missed.

Welcome to the board-bring a thick skin.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:46:32 AM EDT
[#2]
welcome to the site, G-been!

The Bushmaster you chose is a very popular choice lately. it is a very successful model.

Best bets are to check out these forums (AR Discussions, Build it Yourself, as well as the Optics, and accessories boards) to see what folks are talking about and what the feedback is on various elements of the gun.

What you likely find is very insightful product reviews, opinions on everything from zero-ing your rifle, to ammo choices, to which new optics or rail set ups are best

The best part being it involves a bunch of like-minded enthusiasts talking something they are quite passionate about. (guns, shooting things, and blowin stuff up! ! )
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Echo all of the above.
I got off to rocky start(spoke first) as a new poster and took the lumps. Learned to read/listen before talking and now settling into getting great advice from helpful people, when I ask the right question in the right way.

Best "new to AR" starting advice taken away by me:

Ask yourself what purpose (plinker, defense, long range, close quarters, etc,,) do you want your AR for and build/buy from there.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITH OUT A PICTURE!!

But welcome to the site.  Glad to have you here.

Gene
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the site/sickness!

First off, I want to thank you for your service.

Second, read up on everything here as much as you can without popping blood vessels in your eyes.  There is a lot of great info and this is a wonderful community.  

As for what has changed:  Your rifle is just an evolution of the one you used to carry.  There are a few new twists, but overall, I would imagine that the same kind of basic mmaintainence you used to perform will still be aplicable.  You could even use an old GI cleaning kit, although the Otis kits are pretty slick.  

Now that you have the rifle, I would just suggest stocking up on as many 30rd mags as you can.  They are cheap and plentiful, but who knows how long this will last.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:21:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome, ...... And congrads on your new rifle. WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
a Vietnam vet, eh?

Shoulda done got ya one of these:

or one of these:

Welcome to the site! Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:19:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome to the board.

You might not be the FNG, but your still a Noobie (no disrespect).....you need to post a picture so everyone can see your new Bushy!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:08:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I did a stint in Lima 3/9 after returning from Guam.  But that was in 87.  The Dead Live!

The sickness you will get now (1 AR is never enough-you will want more, no known cure) is kinda like being addicted to stuff with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on it.  No matter how many times I tell the wife I have enough Marine Corps T-Shirts, damned if I dont find another one that is the shit and I gotta have it.  

To make matters worse, (or better, it does feed both addictions) there is a lower with the emblem on it.  Workin on the wife now for that beauty.  

Welcome Aboard "Old Corps"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:24:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Welcome aboard !

+1
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Will do. In fact I have a good photo of me with my M-16 back in '70. It'll go good with a photo of my new baby now. Thanks to all for welcoming me aboard.

This is one active board.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, thought about it real hard but they're awfully expensive and hard to find. Plus, I had one like that and it jammed on me in the middle of firefight in June '69. Didn't get it cleared until the smoke did. Lucky I'm here to tell the tale. The old forker was swapped for a new model when I got back to the base and looked just like your other classic piece. How do they still work? Fine, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Will do. In fact I have a good photo of me with my M-16 back in '70. It'll go good with a photo of my new baby now. Thanks to all for welcoming me aboard.

This is one OVERactive board.

fixed it for you

Gene
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
a Vietnam vet, eh?

i1.tinypic.com/nvpsow.jpg

How many guys lost their lives when that POS locked up? I think he's better off with the modern bushy. He'd probably tell you the same. Most Nam vets I met have nothing nice to say about the M16A1.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:
a Vietnam vet, eh?

i1.tinypic.com/nvpsow.jpg

How many guys lost their lives when that POS locked up? I think he's better off with the modern bushy. He'd probably tell you the same. Most Nam vets I met have nothing nice to say about the M16A1.

The forward assist was one of the (not necessarily necessary) things done to the M16 to make it combat reliable.  Chroming the chambers and issuing cleaning kits were the others.  Ask these vets how often they cleaned their weapons.

That said, an Aimpoint and a sling and a bunch of loaded mags will get you off to a good start.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:54:01 AM EDT
[#18]
As somebody who joined up in ’75, I have this to say:

Get into Class III (machine guns) as soon as you can.  Your wallet (and your wife) will never forgive you.  But it will bring back the Bad Old Days very quickly.

I ought to know, I own an M16A1 myself.

Welcome to the Black Rifle Disease!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:01:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome jarhead!

read here and re-learn everything...............
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks Bulldog fan, you and us Tigers are just about even now on the football turf.

About my new Bushy M4A3 type, would have given left nut to have one of these in the Nam.

Cleaning the M16 forked version?! They first told us we didn't need to, then said we had better start cleaning them real good. Gave us a tube of sperm to spread all over the parts but no equipment.

First and second firefights after that all went well. But on the third night, it double-fed on me and took the entire remainder of the firefight (about 20 minutes) to clear it. We never had a tool to clean or swab the bores and we just swished a tooth brush around in the chamber. At least the bristles came out black, no, wait, that might have been after we brushed our teeth.

If I'd ever buy an SP1 or A1 again it would just be for nostalgia.

BTW, should have seen my wife eyes when I pulled that XM15-ES2 out of the case.

"I thought you were buying one of those long hunting rifles things. That's a killing thing!"

"Yeah, ain't it thought," I replied with a grin. No bad intentions, it's just a Marine thing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#21]
One thing nice about ARs is the wife can't tell them apart so you can get more than one!!!

P.S. What part of LA?? B.R.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome aboard pard.  Hang out and you'll get a feel for the board and the various personalities here.  Lots of old hands with plenty of good poop.  Lots of assclowns and trollers too, but you'll figure out who's who.
Just don't ask "Can ye smell it?"
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Edwin

yes, BR, in Wedgewood just off O'Neal Lane.

Know anything about Red Dot optics available here in BR. Can't afford an Aimpoint after just paying for the Bushmaster, a bunch of rounds, mags, etc. But will definitely need one. Gotta keep it around $100 for now. Maybe an Aimpoint or EO down the line.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
...Gotta keep it around $100 for now.

S.P.O.T.  and it comes with a mount.  Fairly tough, and the controls are placed well.  Unit costs $150 from GandRTactical.com and IIRC CSgunworks carries it as well (both are board vendors).

BTW you might want to check out Photoman's excellent review of the SPOT.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top