Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2006 9:18:17 PM EDT
Well i just got my first AR today, bushy patrolmans carbine, and i have a question about it.  With blot carrier forward, when an empty mag is inserted, the mag seats properly.  But when a 30rnd mag, loaded, will not seat/ lock into place.  Is it my rifle or is it common?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Its common with everything new..give it a good wack it will seat.If you dont like hitting it that hard down load the mag 1 or 2 rounds for smoother seating.In any event you would only seat the mag with the bolt closed when you first load..after that the bolt stays locked back and you would be droping it on a fresh mag.As the mags and rifle break in it will get a bit easier with 30 rounds loaded.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#2]
When you have 30 rounds loaded, the magazine spring is very compressed, so it takes some force to push the rounds down a bit to seat a mag.  Just give it a good whack on the bottom of the mag and it will seat.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Welp you guys did it, lower reciever cracked in half, thanx alot a holes
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]
just kiddin, it work, dont know what id do with out this site.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, well ... don't load the mag with 30 rounds, the mag spring is fully compressed and there's very little room for more compression.

If you whack the mag, eventually you'll end up with a ... whacked magazine.

It's best to only load 28 rounds, so you'll have the room for mag spring travel.

That way the mag inserts easier.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah, well ... don't load the mag with 30 rounds, the mag spring is fully compressed and there's very little room for more compression.

It's best to only load 28 rounds, so you'll have the room for mag spring travel.

I am sorry, but whacking the bottom of the mag a bit ain't gonna hurt a thing.  I do it all the time, other people do it all of the time, and nothing gets hurt.  It doesn't take that much of a whack.  Load a 30 rounder with 30, it's not called a 28.  If it really bothers you that much that you have to whack the mag, I guess you can do what you want.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]
...or if it really bothers you so much, lock the bolt back before loading your mag.  That way you never have to load a full mag into the rifle with bcg fwd.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:14:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

you won't damage your mags, but if it makes you feel better only load them with 28. or if you must be sure not to damage the mag only load 5 rounds at a time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:50:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh Jesus. The 28 vs. 30 round load argument again. ALL UNITS....IRENE. I SAY AGAIN, IRENE.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:52:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Oh Jesus. The 28 vs. 30 round load argument again. ALL UNITS....IRENE. I SAY AGAIN, IRENE.

Holy S**T thats funny!!

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:25:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Amen Brother! Let's PLEASE don't get that train wreck going again!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I find mine work best with 27.5 rounds loaded.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:58:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Always give the mag a good whack to seat it properly wether you have 28 or 30 rounds.  You don't have to hit it with 2000 ft/lbs, but a solid tap will do it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#15]
 I also had problems getting full mags to seat, until I started carrying around a large pipe wrench whenever I shoot.  Simply turn it sideways and smack away at the bottom of the mag, works every time.

Oh well, not that funny I guess, and I dont want to try to make someone feel stupid for asking.      30 rounds is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Load 30 rounds, insert mag partially till it meets resistance, take off running as fast as you can, dive head first into the flying prone position (superman) and land on the mag instead of the butt stock.

If this doesnt seat the mag, then.....

Load 29 rounds.....repeat.

Enjoy,
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top