Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:46:16 PM EDT
I have relatively new RRA AR15 (less then a month old). The first time I took it out shooting my friend and I noticed smoke coming out of the handgaurds... at the time I figured it was something left on the barrel cooking off (it had a lot of oil on it). This morning I took off the handgaurds for the first time and noticed what appears to be a gas leak coming from where the gas tube enters the FSB.

Is this normal with a new gun? We did not see the 'smoke' coming out of it after that first time, is this something that should be checked out?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:52:02 PM EDT
Well... new shouldn't be judged by age.
How many rounds through it? was it fully cycling?

It might be some junk burning off, that's normal.
The FSB/port alignment usually isn't perfect - after a few mags, I'll
bet the smoking stops for good, the gas port will self-seal with carbon,
and your rifle will continue to function fine.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:28:29 PM EDT
New as in, ~600 rounds through it.

I havent noticed any smoking since the first 100 rounds or so, and it hasnt appeared to affect performance at all.

The reason I asked is that I have some other issues with my hammer that I am going to have RRA deal with anyways, was wondering if I should send them the whole thing or just deal with the hammer seperately (if this is something that will correct itself I would rather not go through the hassle of shipping the whole rifle).

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:29:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GhostRing:
Well... new shouldn't be judged by age.
How many rounds through it? was it fully cycling?

It might be some junk burning off, that's normal.
The FSB/port alignment usually isn't perfect - after a few mags, I'll
bet the smoking stops for good, the gas port will self-seal with carbon,
and your rifle will continue to function fine.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:48:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 11:19:22 PM EDT by eye_spy]
How to test for leaks:

Remove upper from lower. Take out bolt and CH. Plug the barrel with something (feed ramp end). Light a cigarette. Blow smoke through the business end of the barrel. Smoke should only go out on the other end of the gas tube.

ETA: leaking gas is NOT normal.
Top Top