Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2006 8:24:58 PM EDT
Will it affect accuracy since the rifle isn't free floated and it bolts directly to the standard handguards?

Versa-Pod® Model 1 BipodStandard Prone Bipod / Ridged Metal Feet
Model(150-001)
Same as Model 2 in all respects, except ridge metal feet work better in sand or on wet ground. Ideal for tactical rifles used
in non-urban environments. All-steel model (160-001) is recommended on rifles chambered for .300 Winchester Magnum
and larger. Adjusts from 9 inches to 12 inches in six increments. Includes one Universal Mounting Adapter (150-100).

Elevates centerline of bore from 15 1/2 inches fully retracted to 23 3/4 inches fully extended.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:34:02 PM EDT
[#1]
yes

depends on how tight those HGs are attached--mine have slight play

then there is the fact that if you even put your hand on the HGs, vibrations will (to a certain extent) will affect--every little factor affects accuracy

overall, i would not use em for bench/accuracy tests

if you want max bipod stability/accuracy, FF it

the bipod on the stadard HGs will work as a stand, but dont expect the best accuracy potential
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
yes

then there is the fact that if you even put your hand on the HGs, vibrations will (to a certain extent) will affect--every little factor affects accuracy

the bipod on the stadard HGs will work as a stand, but dont expect the best accuracy potential

I was gonna use it for zeroing in the sights @ 25 yds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

just for zeroing?

you are better off sitting down on a stable chair and using a stable table w/ your AR resting on a sandbag/rucksack/bench vise--since you will have to (hopefully) only zero in once

you can of course keep the bipod on for any other times/.uses

in general, imo, bipods are not the best for stable zeroing--i tried it w/ my rem 700P--it moved too much for me
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

just for zeroing?

you are better off sitting down on a stable chair and using a stable table w/ your AR resting on a sandbag/rucksack/bench vise--since you will have to (hopefully) only zero in once

in general, imo, bipods are not the best for stable zeroing--i tried it w/ my rem 700P--it moved too much for me

The range I go to though probably doesn't have a very good rest or any kind of bags for zeroeing.  It's down for hurricane damage and will be up soon
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yes

just for zeroing?

The range I go to though probably doesn't have a very good rest or any kind of bags for zeroeing.  It's down for hurricane damage and will be up soon

prone shooting is fine--i presume thats how you will have to do it w/ the bipod as sitting is out and standing is pretty useless w/ a bipod....

all i can suggest is that you bring your own sandbag(s) or a rucksack/backoack (filled w/ something--like maybe towels or something)

i use my ALICE rucksack (holds all of my stuff too) and i sight my rifles in either sitting or prone--its just there to properly rest my rifle on

what i hate about the bipods (expecially on concrete) is that the first shot makes the gun  'bounce' a  little, jarring my next shot
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Alphaghost. It would be a waste of money. Get a cheap towel, roll it up and tie it off with rope or twine. I bought bipods for a couple of my long barrel rifles. Sfter using them for a little while, I've found they're not much help and, in some cases, they a hinderance.

BTW, you really shouldn't zero at 25 yds. You're better of using the IBZ, or Improved Battle Zero, which is done at 50 yds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:29:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I really dont think you'll need a bipod to zero at 25 yards, nor 50. Just get a good solid bag. Hell, take a thick pillow case and fill it with sand or gravel if you have to.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I agree with Alphaghost. It would be a waste of money. Get a cheap towel, roll it up and tie it off with rope or twine. I bought bipods for a couple of my long barrel rifles. Sfter using them for a little while, I've found they're not much help and, in some cases, they a hinderance.

BTW, you really shouldn't zero at 25 yds. You're better of using the IBZ, or Improved Battle Zero, which is done at 50 yds.

The only range local to me is 25 yards.   The instructions on the site here mention 25 meters which is like 27 yards
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Add another vote saying that you don't need it.

I already ordered it so I guess I won't use it to sight in, but to play around with, or use as a stand.

Only $50
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#11]
FWIW, your rifle iron sights should be zeroed at 50 yards.

And ditto on the overkill bipod.

Mike

ETA - most of us use the IBZ method here: groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw, and find yourself a real range while your at it.....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:44 AM EDT
[#12]
This zeroing thing for iron sights looks like a pain in the ass. :p

I might need to meet one of you guys at the range hahahahha
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#13]

The only range local to me is 25 yards.   The instructions on the site here mention 25 meters which is like 27 yards

Where are you located in Fl?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Where are you located in Fl?

Southeast.

West Palm Beach.  33415
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top