Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 9:05:33 PM EDT
I've got several questions.

#1. Will the spring and buffer that comes in an A1 stock affect the function of my carbine? (I've got a 16", if that matters, with carbine gas length system.)
#2. Is it possible, I have an RRA lower.
#3. Where do I get one?
#4 if any of you have an A1 stock on a Carbine, could you post a pic?

If you really want to know why it's because I'm going to use this one for hunting / matches. While hunting it will wear a leupold 2 x 7 and matches will obviously be shot with Irons. If I can find a buis with enough adjustment, I'll get those and ixnay the A2 handle. It is a HD weapon but I like the feel of a solid stock and a sully stock is too short for my needs. Although I think it's cool. Plus I like the looks of a solid stock better, although the A2 stocks are usually way too long looking for a carbine in my opinion. But that 16" barrel sort of evens that out too, from what I've seen.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:15:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JJREA:

#1. Will the spring and buffer that comes in an A1 stock affect the function of my carbine? (I've got a 16", if that matters, with carbine gas length system.)Yes
#2. Is it possible, I have an RRA lower.Yes
#3. Where do I get one?The EE would be a great/easy/cheap place
#4 if any of you have an A1 stock on a Carbine, could you post a pic?Sorry, don't have a pic.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:17:36 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gimme_A_Carbine:

#1. Will the spring and buffer that comes in an A1 stock affect the function of my carbine? (I've got a 16", if that matters, with carbine gas length system.)Yes
#2. Is it possible, I have an RRA lower.Yes
#3. Where do I get one?The EE would be a great/easy/cheap place
#4 if any of you have an A1 stock on a Carbine, could you post a pic?Sorry, don't have a pic.

I guess I should've clarified #1, will it affect it "negatively"?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:24:24 PM EDT
what stock/buffer do you have on it now?

with the lighter buffer compared to an a2 it will have an increase in felt recoil along with recoil impulse.

yes, majority of ar parts are "universal"

calvary arms or the ee
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:29:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
what stock/buffer do you have on it now?

with the lighter buffer compared to an a2 it will have an increase in felt recoil along with recoil impulse.

yes, majority of ar parts are "universal"

calvary arms or the ee

6 position telestock RRA. Can I use the buffer and spring and tube on it now? I didn't think you could. I've never put one on so, I'm not sure how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:32:37 PM EDT
the a1 stock uses rifle buffer and spring.

slighty heavier buffer will decrease felt recoil, muzzle rise and cyclic rate.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:35:40 PM EDT

So can I just stick the buffer that's in there now in a new A1 tube / stock?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:04:59 PM EDT
Sorry, I wasn't really paying enough attention. I meant that "YES, it will function fine." Sorry for talking out of my ass and not paying enough attention to the question.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:08:09 PM EDT

So can I just stick the buffer that's in there now in a new A1 tube / stock?

no, the carbine buffer is much shorter than the rifle length buffer and what it will do is allow the carrier to travel further into the buffer tube and at the same time possibly damging the lower and its components.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:38:58 AM EDT
You must use a rifle lower receiver extension and buffer. If you want light weight and a solid cheek weld a fixed stock is hard to beat. Here's my retro wearing an original M16 stock.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:03:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gimme_A_Carbine:
Sorry, I wasn't really paying enough attention. I meant that "YES, it will function fine." Sorry for talking out of my ass and not paying enough attention to the question.

Well I didn't think you were talking out of your butt. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:07:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lancelot:
You must use a rifle lower receiver extension and buffer. If you want light weight and a solid cheek weld a fixed stock is hard to beat. Here's my retro wearing an original M16 stock.

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/CMT_CAR_025.sized.jpg

Lancelot, I think that looks pretty cool. Doesn't look goofy.

As far as what you're saying about the parts though, if I just use everything that the A1 stock comes with, I should be fine. Correct? Fulton Armory has them for $ 80.00 with the buffer and tube and all that. Thanks for your help and very nice pic.

Anybody else got some pics of A1 stocked carbines?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:10:26 AM EDT
I have an A1 stock on my RRA Entry ... I don't have means to post pic though. It fits me perfect. So good I don't care for the colaspable stock. I bought my stock from CDNN. It was older surplus but brandnew. It came with tube and buffer . $49 It has a light hair line crack in the butt plate at the torque screw from being under pressure for many many years. You can't see it unless you know what your looking for. Nearly all of them have it. No biggie. I got two of them..... Good luck WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:21:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I have an A1 stock on my RRA Entry ... I don't have means to post pic though. It fits me perfect. So good I don't care for the colaspable stock. I bought my stock from CDNN. It was older surplus but brandnew. It came with tube and buffer . $49 It has a light hair line crack in the butt plate at the torque screw from being under pressure for many many years. You can't see it unless you know what your looking for. Nearly all of them have it. No biggie. I got two of them..... Good luck WarDawg

Thanks man, I don't think they have any anymore. They don't list them. I might have to go with the fulton. Unless someone else has them. Thanks for the info though. Too bad no pics!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:24:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/13/2006 4:25:36 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:26:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:47:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
Tapco sells Cavarms A-1 length buttstocks for $ 15-just the stock, no tube, buffer or spring, but that's still very cheap. I have a box full of them. They are same stock that other dealers sell for $ 65.

Last time I checked CDNN did not have the a-1 colt stocks anymore, too bad they were $ 30 when I bought them are were niw!

So I could maybe get the stock there and teh tube, spring and buffer from fulton. Are the cav arms ones good??? And is that rifle lower extenstion piece something I have to order also???
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:39:02 AM EDT

coloradoshooting.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/bbadmin-Album-1/CMT_CAR_025.sized.jpg

Nice! That's an awesome setup

Thanks.

I hate to admit it publically, because I'd be seen as uncool, but I really like it. It points better and feels better then the CAR stock. I really like this setup. Its the lightest AR I own and it continues to grow on me.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:48:16 AM EDT

Nice! That's an awesome setup

Thanks.

I hate to admit it publically, because I'd be seen as uncool, but I really like it. It points better and feels better then the CAR stock. I really like this setup. Its the lightest AR I own and it continues to grow on me.

+1

I shouldered someone's A1 stocked carbean and was a little shocked at how it felt.

I bought a Vltor A1 for a project I have going on now with a 16" bbl.

Oh, +20 on the uncool perception thing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:11:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 5:13:58 AM EDT by pathfinder74]

I'm thinking of putting an A1 stock on my carbean, need help.

+

Sorry... couldn't resist.

What are your reasons for wanting to put an A1 stock on a carbine. IMHO it defeats the purpose of having a shorter barrel. Put some sort of collapsible stock on it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:16:51 AM EDT
Heck I thought I was the only one who loves a fixed A1, Im running a Cavarms A1 on my 14.5" rifle. I used a 9mm spacer and Carbine length Wolff spring with an "H" buffer

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:50:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:20:03 AM EDT

#1. Will the spring and buffer that comes in an A1 stock affect the function of my carbine? (I've got a 16", if that matters, with carbine gas length system.)

It will soften the recoil a bit. But it will not harm reliability if that is your concern.

#2. Is it possible, I have an RRA lower.

Of course - RRA does make AR-15 lower ya know..

#3. Where do I get one?

EE,
SAWSALES,
Gunshows,
O­r any of the Cav-Arms dealers (they sell new production ones as the 'C1'.

#4 if any of you have an A1 stock on a Carbine, could you post a pic?

Sorry I didn't take any photos back then. So no photos.

If I can find a buis with enough adjustment, I'll get those and ixnay the A2 handle.

Why would you need elevation adjustment for matches or hunting? You won't have time to use it.

But if you really need range adjustment there are 3 on the market. The KAC 600M, the Matech, and the Wilson Combat. Of the 3 the KAC is the best.

It is a HD weapon

In that case you DEFINATELY don't want an elevation adjustable BUIS as the aperture will be too small for fast and/or low light use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:35:24 AM EDT
I decided to leave the A1 stock on my SP1 RR after shooting it with a carbine upper on it. I find it to be just about perfect!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:56:40 PM EDT
Pathfinder: What does having a short barrel have to do with having a short stock? It's still shorter.

Forest, thank you for the BUIS recommendations, those are the ones I was thinking too. But it is nice to have the two apertures.

Gus that is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I saw it in the M4gery thread!!!

It seems everyone that uses it, likes it.

What is this about having and extension? Will that not be with a tube / buffer / spring part?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:02:36 PM EDT
You just need a regular Fixed buffer tube, fixed length recoil spring and rifle length buffer.
I liked the recoil impluse of my 14.5" with the "H" carbine buffer, Wolff Spring and Vltor stock, So i kept the same spring and buffer and used an A2 fixed tube and 9mm spring spacer with a Cavarms A1............Udog
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:09:45 PM EDT

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 5:35:21 AM EDT by MOMIL]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:45:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MOMIL:
I have the early solid buttstocks (no trap door) in EXC take off condition for $15 and have sent quite a few out to board members recently. I also have the early straight pistol grip (no finger groove) for $5. www.mooremilitaria.com and go to the Quartermaster section then the Weapons Accesories Page for details.

Bad form my good chap, take it to IM.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:33:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:30:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wrhk33:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/wrhk33/AR15008Small.jpg

Very, very nice. This is probably a dumb question but do you have a problem getting your face close enough to the acog with that stock and perhaps a jacket on or something? I know their eye relief is on the shorter side of things. But wow, that looks nice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:30:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By wrhk33:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v368/wrhk33/AR15008Small.jpg

Very, very nice. This is probably a dumb question but do you have a problem getting your face close enough to the acog with that stock and perhaps a jacket on or something? I know their eye relief is on the shorter side of things. But wow, that looks nice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:27:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 9:00:20 AM EDT by MOMIL]
I deleted my post as I saw in one of the rules that you cannot "sell" anything in the forums or point a link to yourself. I apologize. I saw someone asking for a stock that I have and was not aware at the time that it would violate any rules to post it. I am sorry that I broke a site rule and was not intending to, hence I have deleted the post.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
The Colt model 655 had a 14.5 bbl, A1 FH and the early M16 or A1 stock. Hard to tell which from the pic I just saw in Small Arms of the World

rj
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:37:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MOMIL:
I deleted my post as I saw in one of the rules that you cannot "sell" anything in the forums or point a link to yourself. I apologize. I saw someone asking for a stock that I have and was not aware at the time that it would violate any rules to post it. I am sorry that I broke a site rule and was not intending to, hence I have deleted the post.

No problem, just send the guy an Instant Message
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:34:55 PM EDT

Seems to be OK but I have not tried it with thick jackets. If it's below 50F I'm staying inside :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:49:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:54:24 AM EDT

Exactly what I did to mine. I like it better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:16:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:33:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:39:20 PM EDT
Does anybody else have some pics or is this it??? I'm still thinking about doing it. Call me crazy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:57:19 AM EDT
All my recent "airsoft" builds have used the oldest style M16 buttstock without the trapdoor. After many years using Colt's execrable 2 position stock, the lack of a storage area to me means less crap stored on the weapon...less weight! And the rubber buttplate really sticks in my shoulder pocket well. The bottom rifle is my Colt 655 "clone". I'll bet there is not one person alive who shoots better with a folder of any kind compared to a fixed stock...

Paladin

from top to bottom:
SPR Lite based on a Colt 1/7 HBAR
R6500 "clone" of the early AR15A2 w/ Colt 1/7 .gov barrel
MT6700 "Zombie Rifle" reprofiled 18 inch 1/9
655 "clone" w/ original 1/12 "standard weight" barrel
Top Top