Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/12/2006 7:43:42 PM EDT
Is one better then the other or what? I tried a Google search but that didn't help much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:46:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:50:13 PM EDT
So I take it that a chrome moly barrel is going to rust allot faster then a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:52:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HunterGren:
So I take it that a chrome moly barrel is going to rust allot faster then a chrome lined barrel?

In short, yes. Dependent on many factors. Unless you are going to do match shooting (paper punching), go with chrome...

TS
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:55:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TigerStripe:

Originally Posted By HunterGren:

In short, yes. Dependent on many factors. Unless you are going to do match shooting (paper punching), go with chrome...

TS

I should have asked before I ordered the upper. I have a seriously hard time keeping rust off my guns in the summer. Thanks for the quick answers
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:26:41 PM EDT
overall, Chrome Lined is better than regular chrome moly (most bbls are made of chrome moly, its just that the lining is added on at the factory)

C-L will have incresed bbl life, more rust resistance, easier cleaning, and perhaps increased reliablity

regular chrome moly will be more accurate though--to a certain extent

just keep it clean--dont forget to CLP and clean it after use and it should be fine
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:45:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 8:46:35 PM EDT by theshootersden]
Chrome-moly barrels have the ability to be highly accurate when broken in properly and are the least expensive of barrel choices... Unlined chrome-moly barrels normally have the shortest life of any material because they experience erosion from bullet friction at a faster rate compared to chrome lined barrels... If used as semi-auto only, this life can still be thousands and thousands of rounds... Plain chrome-moly isnt resistant to corrosion or fouling and is the most difficult to clean... With all of this said, a quality unlined chrome-moly barrel will more than suffice for the average AR15 owner...

Chrome Lined is basically a chrome-moly barrel where the barrel and chamber are internally lined with a thin layer of chrome through an electro-plating process... Chrome lining offers resistance to rust, corrosion, fouling and is easier to clean... Barrel life is also extended when chrome lined...

Lining a chrome-moly barrel with chrome also has the possibility of reducing accuracy... Therefore, a chrome lined barrels is often used more as a work/CQB/SHTF barrel, not as a match/target/competition barrel... Although I have seen some truly excellent accuracy from various chrome lined barrels and MOA can easily be obtained from a quality barrel that is properly chrome line...
Top Top