Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/12/2006 7:43:42 PM EDT
Is one better then the other or what? I tried a Google search but that didn't help much.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]
So I take it that a chrome moly barrel is going to rust allot faster then a chrome lined barrel?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So I take it that a chrome moly barrel is going to rust allot faster then a chrome lined barrel?

In short, yes.  Dependent on many factors.  Unless you are going to do match shooting (paper punching), go with chrome...

TS
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In short, yes.  Dependent on many factors.  Unless you are going to do match shooting (paper punching), go with chrome...

TS

I should have asked before I ordered the upper. I have a seriously hard time keeping rust off my guns in the summer. Thanks for the quick answers
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#5]
overall, Chrome Lined is better than regular chrome moly (most bbls are made of chrome moly, its just that the lining is added on at the factory)

C-L will have incresed bbl life, more rust resistance, easier cleaning, and perhaps increased reliablity

regular chrome moly will be more accurate though--to a certain extent

just keep it clean--dont forget to CLP and clean it after use and it should be fine
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Chrome-moly barrels have the ability to be highly accurate when broken in properly and are the least expensive of barrel choices... Unlined chrome-moly barrels normally have the shortest life of any material because they experience erosion from bullet friction at a faster rate compared to chrome lined barrels... If used as semi-auto only, this life can still be thousands and thousands of rounds... Plain chrome-moly isnt resistant to corrosion or fouling and is the most difficult to clean... With all of this said, a quality unlined chrome-moly barrel will more than suffice for the average AR15 owner...

Chrome Lined is basically a chrome-moly barrel where the barrel and chamber are internally lined with a thin layer of chrome through an electro-plating process... Chrome lining offers resistance to rust, corrosion, fouling and is easier to clean... Barrel life is also extended when chrome lined...

Lining a chrome-moly barrel with chrome also has the possibility of reducing accuracy... Therefore, a chrome lined barrels is often used more as a work/CQB/SHTF barrel, not as a match/target/competition barrel... Although I have seen some truly excellent accuracy from various chrome lined barrels and MOA can easily be obtained from a quality barrel that is properly chrome line...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top