Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 11:20:23 AM EDT
I looked at the tacked threads, the NRA, Packing_org, and BATF web sites to try and understand this myself but was not satisfied.    Sheesh, based on what I read it seems any AR is illegal for a civi.

Please be gentle, we all have to start somewhere. I will understand all this one day. I would like to get into building a few and want to insure that I avoid any obvious illegal configurations.

Not taking into account state laws (TX in this case), are the only restrictions for civi. ownership of a non-NFA restricted AR-15: 16" or > barrel length and > 26" OAL? Assuming one is allowed to own a firearm to begin with.

I am referring to mounted attachments, and any combination of them: e.g. bi-pod, threaded barrel (I only mention this because threaded barrel was mentiond on the sites above), forearm handle, bayonet, telescoping stock, etc. The basic do-dads/ bling sold for AR's.

Is there a such a thing as a preban/ post ban AR configuration now that the AWB expired? From a legal ownership standpoint.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You can configure your AR any way you want it. Flash suppresor, bayonet lug, collapsing stock, the works. If your barrel is under 16" (without the flash suppressor or muzzle brake) then you need to pay the $200 and do the paperwork. But anything over 16", you're good to go.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as it has at least a 16" barrel and 26" OAL, you are good to go for a non-NFA rifle. All the banned features are now legal as well, except in a few states that still have state-level assault weapons bans.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
One question:

Where have you been posting on this forum to have 600+ post and don't know the answer to that question???  Not trying to ruffle feathers, just kinda wondering.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
All those posts and you don't even know if you can own an AR-15 where you live?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew I would get my balls busted for the questions, but I had to ask.  

I purchased my first AR last week, which I know in factory form is legal, I just started wondering after doing some research on what is available, seeing several pictures posted here, and some of the comments I read.

Now that I have ordered the tools described in the "Build it yourself" thread, and am seeking components for a custom build, I just wondered.

By the way, DPMS has a multi tool $13 off the original price FWIW.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top