Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2006 8:22:31 AM EDT
Is there any way to legally own a Colt, marked M16 or M16A1, Property of US Gov't.? Supposedly the sear hole was pinned/welded and the fire control group is all semi. Someone I spoke with recently said he saw one about five years ago that was up for sale and the owner said it was perfectly legal and that he also had documentation.

I never saw one of these before, but it doesn't sound right.
Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:
Is there any way to legally own a Colt, marked M16 or M16A1, Property of US Gov't.? Supposedly the sear hole was pinned/welded and the fire control group is all semi. Someone I spoke with recently said he saw one about five years ago that was up for sale and the owner said it was perfectly legal and that he also had documentation.

Any thoughts?

Better get a ruling from the BATF because they generally say "Once a machine gun, ALWAYS a machine gun".
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:56:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:35:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 9:38:56 AM EDT by Repete]

Originally Posted By oneshot1kill:

Any thoughts?

I think there has been an M16 marked Colt AR15 for sale on Sturmgewehr. IIRC, it is a laminate build with the left side sliced from an M16 and welded onto a matching cut AR15 receiver. I think this is advertised as built by Norrel, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:44:34 AM EDT
There are transferrable US government-marked M16s that were remanufactured from cut up surplus M16 receiver pieces. I guess someone could have taken similar receiver pieces, welded the autosear hole in the rear piece shut, then welded all the receiver pieces together to make a semi-auto receiver that still had the M16 markings.

I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but that's the only legal way to do it that I can think of.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:48:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 11:49:13 AM EDT by Ekie]

Originally Posted By bigbore:

Originally Posted By gunz4me:
"Once a machine gun, ALWAYS a machine gun".

Once destroyed a machine gun in no longer a machine gun.

Originally Posted By CleverNickname:
There are transferrable US government-marked M16s that were remanufactured from cut up surplus M16 receiver pieces. I guess someone could have taken similar receiver pieces, welded the autosear hole in the rear piece shut, then welded all the receiver pieces together to make a semi-auto receiver that still had the M16 markings.

I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but that's the only legal way to do it that I can think of.

Correct, the same way Hahn Machine welded up destroyed M14 and AR-10 receivers into semiauto, John Norrell did up some semiauto M16A1 receivers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:58:49 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies, I find this very interesting. So -in theory- this could have been a legitimate weapon.

In the case of the rewelded M14 receivers, would there be any documentation/paperwork required? What about the M16 panels?
Top Top