Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 3:36:04 AM EDT
My 2 cents-I do not know why anyone would do business there-at laest at our branch in Canton, Ohio. Don't give a damn attitude,teenagers working there with no knowledge  of the products, half of their displayed ammo with no pricing despite multiple suggestions to manager to do so, would not honor a price match against Dick's as the written store policy states, over priced everything (Go to our EE), ammo is especially expensive compared to Ammunition Store et al. On multiple occasions when they are out of stock they will make no effort to tell the customer when new stock is coming, nor will they order items. The Matra is go online and order yourself ang that is the best advice I ever received. E-bay and EE have been great. Up-Yours-GM!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
At the Gander Mtn. here in Fredericksburg VA. I can say they are usually pretty helpful. They tend to put people in the right places by letting the younger kids stock shelves and straighten the store and leave the knowledgeable folks behind the counters. Prices seem to be better than most catalogs. I have spent alot of mone in their archery dept and purchased a Kimber at the gun counter. All in All I would say I'm pretty satisfied  with them but you are the coustomer and they should try to the things to keep you a customer and It sounds to me like they might need a managerial change. Maybe you should apply.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Here in Indy they have lost most all competition (Dicks - but that is not really comp).  The workers are snobish and their prices SUCK!  $5.49 for Q3131 and $6.49 for AE223.  Their gunsmith is a good guy and I get my 22lr there - it is decent price.  

When I brought up if they would match Bass Pros pricing (1.5hrs south of here) - the guy said no "you are not going to drive down there to get the ammo" so why should he?  I go near there on business once per week so I told him I do and he said "oh - still not going to match".

They do have good stuff - bought my last pair of boots there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Gander Mountain will never seen another firearms-related dollar out of me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Take you shit/junk guns there to sell.  They pay straight out of the Bluebook.

Oh, and I did manage to pick up a Libery 50 cubic foot / 43gun safe for ~$1200 last month from there.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a great deal on a used Berretta AL 390 shotgun there last fall.  $319 out the door.   Their sales on shotgun shells help keep my sporting clay habit under control.  

Only real problem I had with them was once the checkout clerk would not sell me 9mm ammo for my Hi-Point carbine bacause I did not have a pistol permit.  So I told him the .223 could be used in a pistol too and the shirt I was buying could be worn when shooting a pistol so I just left them all on the counter and walked out.   Now I buy my ammo at the pistol counter where I know some people who work there.  

Like all big stores, they have a variety of people rules and regulations.  Since Dicks too over Galyans, there is no oter real competition so I selectively shop there when the need arises.  Like it or not we are a minority of shooters out there.  

Not many people keeps fully stocked armories and powder magazines in their houses.   Just from the members on this site, how long do you think we could stock the soldiers in Irag and Afghanistan if we turned all our milspec ammo over the military?  The average hunter has 20 to 100 rounds of ammo in their house.  We tend to stock a little more than that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I called them once, shortly after Michigan got CCW and asked if they had any Keltec P32's in stock.  The guy on the phone had no idea what it was so I described it to him and he tells me in a snotty tone "we don't sell pistols with barrels shorter than 4 inches".  

I had to put off my killing spree for a couple weeks untill I found one at the next gun show.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
They aren't black rifle friendly. I asked about six months ago if they could do FFL transfers. They said sure and were quite helpful it'll the guy asked what kind of weapon I wanted to transfer. "Oh... we don't deal with that type of gun" and got down right unfriendly. Anti-second amendment, anti-AR, and just plain rude. They won't see another penny from me. I would think that that alone would be enough reason for anyone here to never give them your hard earned money again. Too bad too, I really like they way they have all their long guns out so the public can fondle and play with them. In fact, I may continue to go back just to do that. And when they attempt to sell me something I'm going to tell um "Thank you but I only spend my money at pro-second amendment companies" Hope that chaps their ass!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I really like they way they have all their long guns out so the public can fondle and play with them. In fact, I may continue to go back just to do that. And when they attempt to sell me something I'm going to tell um "Thank you but I only spend my money at pro-second amendment companies" Hope that chaps their ass!

Hey, think about this.  You can finger fuck every one of their guns, and when you find one that you like, have your local dealer order one for you.  And be sure to eat lots of salty snacks and forget to wash your hands when you go to fondle all of GM's guns.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup, I know that store and their attitude sucks. The one in NIles had slightly better attitude but about the same level of competentcy.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:29:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been to ONE Gander Mountain store, the one in/near Sugarland, TX.  I'm certainly not going back.  As the OP noted, their ammo is way overpriced.  So are their firearms.  Their selection in most things, from reloading tools and components to optics to GPS and 2-way radios was pathetic.  The store was unorganized and not even particularly clean.  They waited until there were about 20 (yes, TWENTY) people in line to even start finding a second cashier, and that was the last straw.  I left without looking back.  Considering that I'd had to get there from Katy, I went through a LOT of traffic and gas for absolutely nothing.  Not going back EVAR.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I called them once, shortly after Michigan got CCW and asked if they had any Keltec P32's in stock.  The guy on the phone had no idea what it was so I described it to him and he tells me in a snotty tone "we don't sell pistols with barrels shorter than 4 inches".  

Must be a MI thing... I just bought a new Berette 9000s and it has a 3 1/2" barrel...

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#13]
The one here (Huber Heights - [north Dayton]) is getting kinda messy back in the firearms dept.

The reloading area is falling apart already, misc ammo, placed in cardboard bins, on a multi shelf cart is just sitting out in the aisle,  no prices posted.   They had Meister Hardcast bullets, sold, never re-stocked, had to drive to Cincinnati to get some cheap lead.

As to the AW end of  things,  why do the have a pallet of Century Arms 7.62x51 in old ammo cans ?  Where's  the "sporting"  in old surplus foreign govt  ammo ?

I've been looking for a larger tube  red dot for my M11-9 SMG, thought maybe to take it and see how the dot fits and  field of view, see if it is what I want, how do you think they would take that, same for my SBR's.. they have a 50mm BSA I think it is.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top