Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 9:53:59 PM EDT
So i want to buy an AR for coyote hunting and some reflex firing in off season. i was thinkin 18" bull barrel and hogue FF tube. i am concerned this may be too heavy for toting around the woods. i also like the look of the M16A4 flat-top platform but with M-4 buttstock. i will be using 4-12x scope for the huntin and eotech for reflex firing. my question is what does it take to use the M-4 buttstock on the longer gas system of the 20"? which would be better for my needs? or should i just go with the ACE stock? sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
my question is what does it take to use the M-4 buttstock on the longer gas system of the 20"?

No problems with this.Installation directions at the bottom of this page;
ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#2]
The only problem you will run into is that someone will probably say it looks funny.

If you are coyote hunting in the cold, the adjustable stocks really help you fit the gun around your clothes.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The only problem you will run into is that someone will probably say it looks funny.

That's only a problem is you actually care about what others say.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#4]
it will work fine.

its your rifle, set it up as you please
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:22:00 PM EDT
[#5]
No matter what length barrel I'll get next, it will have a 6 position stock.  I like having my stock solightly shorter than the A2 or even A1 length, and, as mentioned, can be adjusted for clothing (or armor).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#6]
so it doesnt require a different buffer or spring? i have been to rra's website and they have all kinds of options but they don't list 6 position stocks as one for their 20" models. also does everyone agree the standard barrel will be better than the bull for my stated purposes? unicorn you are right. the 6 position is a must when usin body armor and winter clothing. thanks for the responses fellas.

SSG Roger Groves
2/506th INF, 101st ABN DIV
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
so it doesnt require a different buffer or spring? i have been to rra's website and they have all kinds of options but they don't list 6 position stocks as one for their 20" models. also does everyone agree the standard barrel will be better than the bull for my stated purposes? unicorn you are right. the 6 position is a must when usin body armor and winter clothing. thanks for the responses fellas.

SSG Roger Groves
Operation Iraqi Freedom

You'll need to use a carbine buffer and spring if you add a collapsible stock. I don't know of a manufacturer that puts a collapsible stock on a rifle with the full length barrel.

Yesterday I added a MagPul M93B to my 20" HBAR rifle. I rather like the feel of it now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#8]
You can put the collapsible on any barrel length, but make sure you get all the components needed.

Carbine buffer tube, castle nut, lock ring, carbine buffer, and carbine buffer spring.  And of course, the actual stock portion itself.  

Fairly simple to swap out.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#9]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

SSG Roger Groves
Operation Iraqi Freedom

You'll need to use a carbine buffer and spring if you add a collapsible stock. I don't know of a manufacturer that puts a collapsible stock on a rifle with the full length barrel.

Yesterday I added a MagPul M93B to my 20" HBAR rifle. I rather like the feel of it now.

Probably will have too....   Buuuuuut........
You might just want too try the original buffer/spring in it before going out getting another...  

My 16 has never had a problem any way i've set it up....       A1, 4 pos stock, Light Buffer, Heavy Buffer,  Light spring, Heavy spring....         Shorty.. or fullsize A1 uppers....  
I dunno.. guess dave lucky...  oohh oohh oohh....

Have fun..........
and just GET SOME!!!!!!!    

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Did just that myself...

and with the surefire rails...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd recommend a 16" barrel.
That said, heres a 22" with collapsable stock.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#12]
specop_007 how heavy is that 22" with the bull? i haven't ruled out the 16" just thought 18 0r 20" would be better for 200-300 yard shots at coyotes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:46:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
specop_007 how heavy is that 22" with the bull? i haven't ruled out the 16" just thought 18 0r 20" would be better for 200-300 yard shots at coyotes.

I havent weighed it, but it aint light. Its a DAMN sight heavier then my 16" M4. I'm guessing....13 pounds.

My next build is going to be a precision lightweight rifle. I like the weight advantage of lighter firearms, and I like the precision of a good barrel. Granted, you have to work to see it (hand loads and practice) but.....
I'm planning to do a 16" Krieger from Compass Lake. Essentially it'll be an M4 with a helluva barrel.

If your going 2-300 I dont think I'd do a 20 bull barrel *if* your carrying it. My 22" is heavier'n hell but its a dedicated range/varminter gun. I dont walk around with it beyond from the car to the bench so weight isnt an issue.

Considering your shooting coyotes, if I were you I'd buy some Black Hills and see what your current config can do.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You might just want too try the original buffer/spring in it before going out getting another.

A rifle buffer is longer than a carbine, significantly longer, hence a rifle buffer will not work. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if the weapon would even cycle because a carbine receiver extension is shorter than a rifle receiver extension. Check this site for pictures of buffers though there is no side-by-side comparison to judge the length of each buffer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I would check out some of ADCO or MTSN's SPR/Recce/precision uppers. Lighter weight than a Bull barrel upper and super accurate. Lost of people have been putting  them on collapsible stocks lowers. Thanks for your service and stay safe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would check out some of ADCO or MTSN's SPR/Recce/precision uppers. Lighter weight than a Bull barrel upper and super accurate. Lost of people have been putting  them on collapsible stocks lowers. Thanks for your service and stay safe.

Thats exactly what you want. Lightweight, standard barrel length with good accuracy. The long bull barrels are fun......If there on a bench. After that, they get a bit heavy and unweildy. For coyote hunting between 2-400 yards you'd be fine with a good 16-18" barrel.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top