Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/7/2006 10:23:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 12:08:18 PM EDT by SamColt]
probably a dumb question - certainly not my first.

We talk about the proper twist rate eg. 1/7 1/8 1/9 1/12 etc etc but we never include barrel length in that discussion and I have always wondered why.

When somebody asks what rate of twist for a particular bullet is reccomended the topic of barrel length never comes up - maybe it doesn't matter in the equation...

Will a 16" barrel with a 1/9 twist have a better chance of stabilizing a 77gr. bullet than a 11.5" barrel with a 1/9 twist? Could a longer barrel potentially reduce the need for a faster twist rate due to increased velocity, faster rate of spin due to the longer barrel etc?

thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:09 AM EDT
I think there have been some people that have shot the 75/77gr loads out of 20" rifles that had better stabilization than in their 16" rifles. That might just be a variance in the actual twist rates, but I really don't know. It might have to do with the velocity and time under the influence of the rifling being longer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:56:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By m24shooter:
It might have to do with the velocity and time under the influence of the rifling being longer.

Exactly - that's my thinking right there. But my idea is only based on common sense and nothing more. I would think the longer a bullet stays in the barrel the more stable it's attitude will be as it travels down range. So - I'm buying a 14.5" Barrel that's 1/9 - will it handle a 75gr slug or would a 16" or 18" be better. I honestly don't know...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:16:08 PM EDT
Increased velocity means faster rpm of the bullet means better stablization. Yes a longer barrel stablizes better than shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SamColt:
...So - I'm buying a 14.5" Barrel that's 1/9 - will it handle a 75gr slug or would a 16" or 18" be better. I honestly don't know...

Buy a 1/7 and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:38:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SamColt:
So - I'm buying a 14.5" Barrel that's 1/9 - will it handle a 75gr slug or would a 16" or 18" be better. I honestly don't know...

1:7 for a heavy bullet like that.

Length won't make that much difference--once it's rotating, it's stable, and there's also a factor of rotation relative to velocity. It might actually be MORE stable with the same spin in a shorter barrel. quite a few bullets lose oscillation (Gain stability) as they fly (of course, any deviation has already happened) and then lose it as they go transonic/subsonic.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:44:29 PM EDT
"Why?"

IMO, Too many variables. Harmonic weight of the barrel in question, bullet weight, bullet shape, uniformity of bullet shape (within a given manufacurer), powder choice, burn rate.

I'm sure a comparison could be made using only the mil-spec 5.56 ammo but when you widen the choices to commercially available ammo and then the reload possibilities the range of variables becomes huge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:47:45 PM EDT
MY 14.5 IS A 1/7 it works fine
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/7/2006 9:58:12 PM EDT by ian187]
In the case of the AR15/M16 you should be asking how the length of the barrel and location of the gas port effect velocity and what velocity is needed to stabalize a given weight projectile for a given twist rate.

Top Top