Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/5/2006 7:24:05 PM EDT
Has anyone here used a RRA fake flash hider upper? Im thinking about buying one soon. Does it hide the flash well like a A2 flash hider? Does it shoot different from a CAR upper with a real A2 flash hider? Im buying a whole brand new upper that has a fake flash hider for $200, is that a good deal?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:00:58 PM EDT
Sounds like a good deal.

The fake hider is simply a fancy crown job as far as function goes (if it's the one I'm thinking about). It shouldn't hide flash any more than a standard bare muzzle.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:15:36 PM EDT
the fake flash hider i know of on the rra's are the pressed on ones which does not change or effect flash in any way.

what is done is the portion of the bbl at the muzzle is turned down and the fake flash hider is pressed on over the barrel and the crown sits at the tip of the ffh.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:19:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By plinkereye:
Has anyone here used a RRA fake flash hider upper? Im thinking about buying one soon. Does it hide the flash well like a A2 flash hider? Does it shoot different from a CAR upper with a real A2 flash hider? Im buying a whole brand new upper that has a fake flash hider for $200, is that a good deal?

It does a pretty good of reducing the fake flash.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:27:36 PM EDT
Is it tightly pressed on so it doesnt move/wiggle off the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:35:20 PM EDT
I bought a RRA 16" upper with one during the ban. It was a very nice, accurate upper. The fake FS doesn't do anything but it does make the barrel look shorter.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:54:57 PM EDT
If you put that deal infront of me I would buy it.

200 is cheap, get that thing milled off and put a real one on that upper, its cheap to do and definatly cost effective.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:21:54 PM EDT
you know anyone that does cheap crowning and threading of ar15 barrels?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:11:04 AM EDT
adcofirearms.com
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:49:14 AM EDT
any other places besides adco? they charge too much.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:54:52 AM EDT

As the "crown" will make or break the accuracy of a barrel, I'd suggest you'll get what your willing to pay for............

Mike

ps - compared to what my gunsmith friend would charge me, ADCO's price is cheap, so chew on that.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:04:05 AM EDT
I agree. I have never had any work done by adcofirearms.com but have only heard praise for their work. A gunsmith might work on an Ar every two or three months, if that. Adcofirearms does is every day and twice on Sunday.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:04:47 AM EDT

Contact ADCO directly. It might be a little less money to remove a fake flash suppressor than a real one that is pinned and welded on. The later would probably require substantially more work than you need.

ADCO does top notch work and they have a stellar reputation on this board. You'll be hard pressed to find a dealer who delivers quality work so quickly as they do though it's easy to find someone who calls themselves a "gunsmith" to do a half-assed job for a cut rate price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:42:29 AM EDT
adco either cuts and perm attatches or thread and installs a collar to cover up the splines on the bbl. which are there to hold the ffh on.

if it is too expensive for you and obviously quality is no issue to you just get a hacksaw and cut it off yourself and get shadetree willy from down the street to thread the bbl. with a die and then have him weld you something on there.
Top Top