Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2006 11:34:12 AM EDT
some suggestions welcome. Also, why did you decide on what you purchased. Thanks good people.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to have knights but once I tried the tango down covers I was very pleased with the results. Much better quality, better grip, no sliding, or extra play.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#2]
magpul covers.

You can cut them as needed, look similiar to the Knights (with a few less ribs) and easy to install
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell us how you plan on using them.

For use with a vert grip, where you won't be holding the handguards, I like the ladder panels.  If you are using a traditional hold, I like the TangoDown panels.  I use both on my longer 13.2 rail.

--Josh
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the magpul covers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Magpul XT

Texture and feel is superb.  THey are also easier to move around since they don't have to slide up and down the rail.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mud and sand on my MRP with TD rail covers, they were damn hard to slide off if they're dirty, had to resort to a hammer  After I clean the inside of the rail covers and MRP itself, they're easier to slide on and off again, they appear to be tighter than KAC's covers, which are still my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Magpul XT raikl covers on my POF.  I use them like a handguard, easy to put on, remove and the texture is the best I've seen...

TS
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Magpul XTs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I like and use TangoDown and Magpul ladder rail protectors on my KAC, Samson and LaRue rails.

The TD fits tight on all my rails but seems a little bulky to me, just my .02 cents opinion, YMMV.

It could be cut down to the required size or there are two medium length sizes (2 7/8" and 3 3/4" long) available now directly from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#10]
TD rail covers are slightly thicker but I use their wider profile to create a rounder shape for my DD handguards, I use a rail cover on the bottom, and TD covers at 3 and 9 o'clock,  I never got used to its oval shape.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:30:15 AM EDT
[#11]
How are the Daniel Defense covers and ladders?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I prefer the Magpul XTs.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the Magpul XT's
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
KAC everywhere my hand touches and ladder type elesewhere.

I recently went through the same dilemma, more rail space than rail covers, and that was the cheapest way I could get the feel I was looking for and protect the unused rails.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
magpul covers.

You can cut them as needed, look similiar to the Knights (with a few less ribs) and easy to install

+1 magpul XT's on the sides and bottom and "ladders" on the top
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer the Knights Armament Co. Rail covers the best.

Solid retention, excellent heat absorbtion and they overly-cover the rail which gives maximum protection.

They hold paint well also!

HS1
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#18]
magpul xt
tango down
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#19]
TD are too thick.  They can also be a pain to remove.  I prefer KAC.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I liked magpuls...but they had a tendency to get caught on brush and never be seen again. I lost parts equaling 2 whole raile before I switched. Now I use the TD. Very tight! but good.

Magpul reformulated the rails to make them stiffer to eliminate this problem.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:18:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Is there any web site where I can see all these rail covers?
I would like to be able to see them all side by side for comparison.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#23]
KAC is still my favorite, even though they cost $22 each new and $10-15 on the secondary market. I have come full circle on rails--I used to cover everything, but now I just need to cover what my hand might touch. I can do that with three panels.

My magpuls came loose. They started out too stiff to use without working them for an hour by hand, and now I am not sure they will stay on by themselves. I'm glad to hear they reformulated it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I really like the Falcon Industries "steel textured" rail covers

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm personally opting for the Magpul covers, I can cut them to fit and unlike the KAC covers, they don't cost an arm and a leg to get and since my carbine has CB furniture, the CB ones will match perfecty.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I've used KAC, Tango Down and the generic ladder style rail covers.

The KAC are light, thin and durable. If you ever want to use your rail system as a regular handguard, the KAC panels keep the overall profile as small as possible while protecting your hands from hot aluminum. The one thing to be aware is that your rail system must have cuts (on the first and last slots) so the KAC panels will lock in place.

The Tango Down panels are some of the thickest ones out there but they are also very durable and only slightly heavier than the KAC. Regarding weight, it's only a consideration if you're trying to make the lightest AR possible. The TD panels have a rougher surface and feel better (to me) when holding your rail system like a traditional handguard. The TD panels will lock into any rail slot (not just the first and last slots like the KAC) which, in some cases, is nice when you want to securely attach a panel at some other spot. This is really only an issue on mid-lenth or rifle length rail systems. TD rail panels are also available with an integral tape switch pocket which works much better than any adhesive or velcro arrangement.

If you're using a vertical foregrip, the ladder panels may be your best option. They are inexpensive, can easily be cut (with scissors) to fit any rail and allow maximum heat dissapation compared to the other solid panels. A lot of folks use at least 1 ladder panel on the top rail (12 o'clock) since this rail is rarely touched (when holding the rail system like a handguard). It's also more difficult, if not impossible, to be able to slide a solid rail panel on to the top rail and, since we all know heat rises, keeping at least the top rail partially uncovered allows better heat dissapation than a solid panel.

If you need to cut any of the rail panels to fit, either use a small hobby saw and mitre box, a Dremel w/a cutting wheel or some type of mounted electric saw. Don't both buying anything but full length (7") rail panels because as you will find out (if you have not already), the shorter panels cost just as much as the full lenth ones.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm personally opting for the Magpul covers, I can cut them to fit and unlike the KAC covers, they don't cost an arm and a leg to get and since my carbine has CB furniture, the CB ones will match perfecty.

Yeah but have you actually used these yet? IIRC, you haven't got your upper yet so how do you know if you'll like the Magpul panels? Besides, matching colors don't count for anything in regards to performance. Including "matching colors" in your decision making process is...well, read my sig line.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#28]
These from Bravo Co. look interesting. Looks like the Kac and locks on like the Tango Down.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:17:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Magpul XTs or the Ergo ladder covers
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Magpul XT's
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#31]
thanking all of you. I ordered from magpul.......two ladders and two full. I figured I would have plenty of both once cut to fit,  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Where are you guys getting the KAC covers, and are you finding them cheaper that 20$ ea for the 11 rib?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top