Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 4:48:56 AM EDT
I fired some ammo through one of my rifles that turned out to be corrosive ( I had no idea), I forgot to clean it and I let the rifle sit for a month during the summer.  When I went to use it again I noticed that there was rust on the muzzle, I put my bore light inside to see that the barrel was full of rust and corrosion.  Is there any way to save this barrel?  Or is it junk now?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't consign the barrel to the junk heap until you try to rescue it.  Personally, I'd clean as usual, then use some JB bore paste, then clean again. I'd do this until there was no evident rust then try the barrel at the range.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I seem to have removed the rust but it left lots of small pits in the bore.  It looks like it has been sandblasted sort of, inside,  It left lots of small pits and roughness.  I think it's still shootable but I'm sure the accuracy will go to hell now?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]
i have done the shoot/ clean method to bring it back even better on some C&R guns i have had.  shoot 1-5 rds to get the barrel warm, them clean immediately.  do this 5-10 times, it should be better/shiny.  if not don't worry about it, and keep shooting it til worn out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like a plan for now (shoot & clean).

I'll keep watching the EE and other sources for a possible replacement for future use.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top