Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 4:32:46 PM EDT
I bought a Colt AR15A2 carbine #6520 and it is obvious that it is a real Colt lower. But how can I tell if it is a real Colt upper and barrel? And how do you tell if it is a real Colt telescoping stock?

The barrel has markings but the upper other than the barrel has nothing obvious that I can see. And the stock has nothing obvious that I can see either.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The most obvious marking would be the lower, which looks like this:
(Photos Courtesy of _DR @ Chameleon Weaponry.)

Colt Lower Model 6520.

More than likely, your upper is an A1 Upper, which I can guess is an Alcoa forging, which should look like this (Photo shows an M4 Upper):

Markings should be just below the carry handle.

And finally, the barrel should have the following markings on top of the barrel, just forward of the front sight assy.; it should say C (Colt) MP (pressure tested) 5.56mm (caliber) 1/7 (rifling). Kind of like this:

If you have any further questions, consult the following thread:

Lower Receiver & Mag Floorplate Rollmarks, Logos and Markings.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

but why do people ask after they bought it already? why not do your homework to begin with so that they dont end up getting taken or ripped off
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
+1

I think I speak for the majority in saying, we are glad you agree.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's a factory carbine the telestock should be staked on and painted.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought a Colt AR15A2 carbine #6520 and it is obvious that it is a real Colt lower. But how can I tell if it is a real Colt upper and barrel? And how do you tell if it is a real Colt telescoping stock?

The barrel has markings but the upper other than the barrel has nothing obvious that I can see. And the stock has nothing obvious that I can see either.

M4 stock or the older style stock?

the older style stock should have a "N" and a "1" under the adjusting lever on one side, you'll have to pull the lever down pretty hard to see them

The M4 stock will have NO markings on it but will have a 90 degree angle of the web forward of the adjusting latch, the Non milspec M4 stocks have a rounded edge

6520 markings look like this

if yours looks like the picture posted earlier (Colt Carbine) you'd better hang on to it it's fairly rare

Upper reciever should have some forging codes on it just under the front sight on the right side, (ejection port side)

There might be some proof stamps just in front of the ejection port, they might look like either a square or a triangle or both

The barrel will be stamped "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7"
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:39:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Black-Tiger,
My lower has the Colt markings so I am sure about that. It was the barrel, upper and stock that I was not sure about. The barrel does have the C & MP markings that you show in your photo so they are real Colt I guess. The upper has no "C" or "AF" forge markings. Is that bad? I will take a look at the thread you referenced now.

eklikwhoa,
I bought it because I was in a bit of a rush at a gun show and looking at it and the rep of the dealer made me feel it was probably OK. Also I did not know about this forum at that time. Now that I own it I and I am here I just wanted to make sure.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
..snip....
if yours looks like the picture posted earlier (Colt Carbine) you'd better hang on to it it's fairly rare

Upper reciever should have some forging codes on it just under the front sight on the right side, (ejection port side)

There might be some proof stamps just in front of the ejection port, they might look like either a square or a triangle or both

OK, some more info. My lower looks exactly like the one in the picture you posted. It has the Colt horse and name as above and says...
AR-15 A2
Gov't Carbine
Cal. 223
SER. XXXXXX

On the other side it has the restricted military/LE only mark. Is that good? Do I have the rare one?

On the barrel it has as you stated "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" with no HBAR as referenced in the other thread.

On the upper it has a keyhole looking mark right in front of the rear sight on the right side which looks like it is a Cerro forging if I read the other thread correctly BUT it has no "C" with it. Does that mean that it is not a Colt Cerro forging but another brand? I will try to take and post some pics right now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I am certain about the barrel and the lower, but the stock and the upper have me confused. According to that other thread referenced at the top of this one, it shows a Colt upper bearing the Cerro keyhole mark but it also has a "C" next to it. Does that mean that all Colt uppers made by Cerro have the "C" and if it doesn't then it is made by someone else?

And the stock has no markings what so ever.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OK, here are some pics.
photobucket.com/albums/y18/edgepics/1.jpg
photobucket.com/albums/y18/edgepics/2.jpg
photobucket.com/albums/y18/edgepics/3.jpg

The stock is a Colt but I dont see the Staking of the plate, they are staked in two places, look at the other two slots on the buffer tube castle nut to see if they are staked to the plate,

Upper reciever could or could not be Colt, they used Keyhole forge but usually have a "C" code also, look at the front of the reciever where the gas tube comes out and there should be a "M4" or just "4" stamped above it
Look for ramps like these in the reciever going up to the bore, they're the M4 feed ramps, the Govt. Carbine had them

If I had to guess by what you have described and the pictures that it is a complete colt and willing to bet that the stock is staked on in the other two places, there have been some instances where Colt has stamped a "C" inside the reciever where the charging handle slides

those 6520's are nice and light are'nt they
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#12]
stock:
I'm not sure what "staked" is but if it is what I think it is then yes, it is staked in 2 places.

upper:
I just opened it up and mine does have the feed ramps shown in your pic above and it has a little "4" on the right side of the chamber just like yours does. I don't see any other 4 or M4 where the gas tube comes into the receiver though.

Yes, it is very light and nice.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..snip....

OK, some more info. My lower looks exactly like the one in the picture you posted. It has the Colt horse and name as above and says...
AR-15 A2
Gov't Carbine
Cal. 223
SER. XXXXXX

On the other side it has the restricted military/LE only mark. Is that good? Do I have the rare one?

On the barrel it has as you stated "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7" with no HBAR as referenced in the other thread.

On the upper it has a keyhole looking mark right in front of the rear sight on the right side which looks like it is a Cerro forging if I read the other thread correctly BUT it has no "C" with it. Does that mean that it is not a Colt Cerro forging but another brand? I will try to take and post some pics right now.

Your Colt model number is AR6520, which is not rare, since it is still in production.  Preban Gov't Carbine versions are R6520, which are out of production.  

Note: The first photo caption in this thread is incorrect.  The photo is of a Colt Carbine (R6521), which is not the same as a Gov't Carbine.  The Colt Carbine (R6521) is also out of production.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Ah, OK. Thanks. So you can still get it and it looks exactly the same as what I have except that it does not have the Military/LE only marking on the right side?

Does anyone know what price range I am looking at for this? In other words what price range should I have paid for this? Assuming of course that it was brand new and all Colt.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ah, OK. Thanks. So you can still get it and it looks exactly the same as what I have except that it does not have the Military/LE only marking on the right side?

Does anyone know what price range I am looking at for this? In other words what price range should I have paid for this? Assuming of course that it was brand new and all Colt.

You lost me.  Is your serial number prefix GC or LGC?  The GC ceased production in 1994.  Colt is still making the LGC, which has a current MSRP around $1200 new.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine has an LGC series serial number.
But I think I am confused. I thought what you meant was that the ones like mine that have the LE/Military restriction stampings on the right side were no longer being made because the ban is over so the stamp is no longer necessary? I mean they still make the same gun just without the restriction stamp. Am I right or did I miss it again?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:41:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
But I think I am confused. I thought what you meant was that the ones like mine that have the LE/Military restriction stampings on the right side were no longer being made because the ban is over so the stamp is no longer necessary? I mean they still make the same gun just without the restriction stamp. Am I right or did I miss it again?

They all have the restricted stamp, even though the ban is over.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:45:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Ah OK. Got it. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:49:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

While, the lower receiver LE mark is no longer required, Colt has chosen to continue its use anyway.
I don't know why, but it might have something to do with certain states that have their own bans, which did not expire.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a pre-ban 6520. It has an A2 upper with a CM on it.

Bill
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top