Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 3:29:54 AM EDT
anyoe know if there is a cover made for the shell deflector on an AR? if so who has them? thanks...J
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:46:39 AM EDT
I've never heard of or seen one. Why do you want one?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:48:58 AM EDT
duck tape
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:50:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By js600:
anyoe know if there is a cover made for the shell deflector on an AR? if so who has them? thanks...J

Afraid of a few scratches?

I've seen pics of someone using a small piece of skate tape there, but I think that'd be more of a pain in the ass than anything.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:51:16 AM EDT
That's like wearing a condum while masturbating.

Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:01:33 AM EDT

Yes, use a piece of electrical tape if brass marks offend thee.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
somebody suggested the loop part of velcro. wont ding up your brass.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:46:21 PM EDT
what the hell is the point of a shell deflector if you aint gonna let it do it's job?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:55:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/4/2006 7:58:42 PM EDT by theshootersden]

Originally Posted By Stickman:

Yes, use a piece of electrical tape if brass marks offend thee.

I agree with you Stickman... Electrical tape is the ticket, He wont have to deal with that nasty residue that duct tape leaves behind plus the color will match his pretty finish...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:57:08 PM EDT
Egads!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:05:50 PM EDT

Would a brass catcher be useful - or does the shell bounce off the deflector into the bag?

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:44:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By luckypunk:
Egads!!

i1.tinypic.com/n5ssoi.jpg

That's hot.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:56:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
duck duct tape

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:03:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Nic4433:

duck duct tape

You are both right.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:29:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:

duck duct tape

You are both right.

popofghosts.commotion.jp/shop/komono/photo/CAMO_DUCK_TAPE.JPG

actually, black tape might be a tad better--blends in and not as sticky w/ the residue
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:04:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:

Originally Posted By Bushwacker85:

duck duct tape

You are both right.

popofghosts.commotion.jp/shop/komono/photo/CAMO_DUCK_TAPE.JPG

actually, black tape might be a tad better--blends in and not as sticky w/ the residue

no residue gaffers tape.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:54:07 AM EDT
A small piece of black electrical tape works the best and leaves no residue behind once removed. Duct tape I wouldn't recommend because it is thinner and can leave bad residue behind.

Either way, you shouldn't need to use anything on your brass deflector since a rag and some CLP or Hoppes #9 will rub the brass marks off in 2 seconds and everything will look like new again.

- rem
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:13:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bblake00:

Just shoot it.

I gotta try that sometime, my wedding ring leaves brass marks on my dick...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:16:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
what the hell is the point of a shell deflector if you aint gonna let it do it's job?

Test firing a gun that you want to sell as new but test fired for function
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:33:47 AM EDT
then it is not new.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:40:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
then it is not new.

A firearm should absolutely be test fired before it is shipped out to the buyer or dealer. Every new firearm I have ever purchased had at least one round down the pipe before I bought it and I'm glad it did. Murphy is omnipresent.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:43:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 9:44:16 AM EDT by theshootersden]
I believe test firing 'complete builds' is standard procedure for all gun manufacturers...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:49:00 AM EDT
+1 on a peice of electrical tape
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:53:03 AM EDT

x2
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:06:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/5/2006 10:08:02 AM EDT by theshootersden]

Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

x2

I don't think js600 is wanting to eliminate the function of the deflector... He's wanting to avoid brass scuff marks and finish chipping...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:50:46 AM EDT
Vagisil...or maybe a ShopVac for all the sand in ones snapper.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:52:10 AM EDT
I can't believe this guy isn't getting completely flamed.

Hey buddy if you're afraid of your rifle getting marked up, DON'T SHOOT IT.

God forbid it gets a mark on it. Then the thing is completely useless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:59:40 PM EDT
why would i get flamed? all i did was ask a question. i didn't tell you why i asked. it's possible i want the finish to remain good or maybe i am denting cases that i want to reload, or just maybe i'm curious. not all of us want battle scars on our weapons. i guess that's how others knew that duct(duck)tape leaves residue. i guess they should be flamed too. but thanks for your wisdom and advise.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:07:33 PM EDT
get a piece of that stick on velcro and cut it to size
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:12:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matt_B:

Originally Posted By Gregory_K:
then it is not new.

A firearm should absolutely be test fired before it is shipped out to the buyer or dealer. Every new firearm I have ever purchased had at least one round down the pipe before I bought it and I'm glad it did. Murphy is omnipresent.

Yes and they should have a brass mark on them to show it. Seen enough of "never fired" guns for sale with enough carbon build up to cook a hamburgh.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:17:21 PM EDT

why would i get flamed? all i did was ask a question. i didn't tell you why i asked. it's possible i want the finish to remain good or maybe i am denting cases that i want to reload, or just maybe i'm curious. not all of us want battle scars on our weapons. i guess that's how others knew that duct(duck)tape leaves residue. i guess they should be flamed too. but thanks for your wisdom and advise.

OK be completely honest, I am not trying to be a

How many rounds have you shot through this firearm?

The reason I ask is because You sound like myself, way back when I was an Apprentice. I used to take my tools home every night and clean and POLISH them. There is taking care of tools, and then there is OCD.

I think Bushwacker85 has it right. ThatIS hot.

BTW so is soot on the end of my G19

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:13:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bblake00:

Just shoot it.

You mean you don't use one? I thought it was normal...

Not nearly as rough as a wool sock....

Just kidding

Gene
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:15:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By KillAgain:
I can't believe this guy isn't getting completely flamed.

Hey buddy if you're afraid of your rifle getting marked up, DON'T SHOOT IT.

God forbid it gets a mark on it. Then the thing is completely useless.

Agreed. AR15 is battle rifle....not a safe queen
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:23:54 AM EDT
I think I got this guy figured out.

Dude, taggin your buddies girl while he is out of town is kinda wrong ok, but taggin his un-fired AR, now thats a whole new level of scumbag.

Feed his dog, get his mail, and maybe, just maybe fondle the AR a bit, but wipe off the fingerprints and drool. Save up your pennies and get your own.

In the meantime, offer to wash his car or some shit, and ya might get a chance to shoot it someday. Dont be a total ass though, bring your own ammo.

Now, the above does not apply if your buddy is a total jerk and the AR in question is a safe queen that hasn't been fired in the 2 years he's owned it. In that case, the Coalition to End AR cruelty and neglect demand that you shoot it behind his back......make sure to leave marks on the upper from the charging handle latch, brass on the deflector, and plenty of drag marks from multiple mag changes in the mag well. Of course, all of this is much more fun if he is duct-taped to a chair and forced to watch.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:40:22 PM EDT

I hear tampon's work great.
Top Top