Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2006 7:24:24 PM EDT
With A2 sights, what kind of groups would you be looking for at 50 yds with a 16" barrel? I'm deciding on whether to keep my 16" HBAR (Bushmaster except for an Olympic fluted barrel) or sell it and get a Colt 6520. The reason is, the only time I've been to the range with it (several years ago) I couldn't seem to get any kind of group - more like a pattern! I'm a pretty good shooter and had not run into that problem before. This was a build with all new parts, and the upper was assembled by a professional AR 'smith. I've learned a lot since then and have decided on the IBZ sighting procedure and have set my rear sight accordingly. I'm going back to the range with it with more kinds of ammo to see if I can get some decent groups at 50 yds so I can adjust the sights for POA which will give me the IBZ zero at 50 and 200. So, I need to confirm this barrel is okay. Would you say a 2" group is about right, or should I be looking for something else? The last time I fired it, at 100 yds, I was getting more like 8" spreads. In truth, I was probably shooting too fast, feeding it M855 and using the large aperture. I just want to give this carbine a fair chance, because I kind of like it. This time I'll use the small aperture, take my time and try some M193. BTW, the Olympic barrel is button-rifled to a 1:9 twist, 4140 chomoly and not chrome-lined.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:33:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the same kind of spread with my new 20" gov profile using m855pd and not much better with xm193. It wasn't until I tried q3131 and some remington psp that I got actual groups. Talk about a relief, I was begining to think I built a lemon. I wouldn't  jugde a barrel's accuarcy until several differnt loads where tested.

ETA: Once zeroed I my group size didn't change when switching between small and large arpeture though POI did move a little at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
gotta use the small aperture.  ive gotten 1" groups at 50 fairly easily.  id say 2" with the large aperture is no reason for replacement.  a good trigger, floated barrel, and a good sling will also help.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of a 14.5 barrel same accuracy as a 20" at 350 yds no problem.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top