Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 12:04:25 PM EDT
I am not very creative. Need to mount my Harris to a Model1Sales 24" varmint upper. The tube was not drilled for a mount. I have received some good suggestions on drilling the tube and how to secure the bipod if I go that route. Question for you creative types is can you think of a way to mount the bipod without drilling the tube? Is there a product on the market that will allow me to do that? I have searched and have not found anything like that. Of course mounting it to the barrel is not an option...defeat the purpose of FF in the first place. Any ideas??? Thanks...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#1]
only thing that I can think of is a gates hose clamp , j/k but naa , why not  drill the tube?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Replace the tube with a railed one and use either an ARMS throwlever or a YHM solid mount adaptor. There would really be nothing wrong with drilling and tapping the tube though.

I can't think of anything that would allow yo uto mount it any other way outside the normal sling stud or rails.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Beam clamp designed for hanging pipes:

Or this type of muffler clamp:

I would just drill and install a sling stud or a short length of rail.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Just looking at some pics here and I saw a tube wrapped in 550 cord. What do you think of this idea...wrap my FFT with paracord and secure maybe a Harris #5 mount under the wrap? Reinforce with some kind of adhesive to the FFT and insure that the paracord is tighter than Hell. Might solve the drilling issue and I think it would look cool as well. Thoughts...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Para cord is going to stretch and contract with moisture. Not as much as leather, but some.

I've seen some bipod mounts that may work if you can put an end cap in the front of the FFT. You may have to drill that piece, but at least you won't be drilling your handguard. Is your guard aluminum or fiberglass / carbon fiber?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Aluminum. I think if I put the 550 cord few a few wash cycles the shrinkage will not be an issue, especially if I can secure the adaptor with some sort of adhesive to the tube...
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just looking at some pics here and I saw a tube wrapped in 550 cord. What do you think of this idea...wrap my FFT with paracord and secure maybe a Harris #5 mount under the wrap? Reinforce with some kind of adhesive to the FFT and insure that the paracord is tighter than Hell. Might solve the drilling issue and I think it would look cool as well. Thoughts...

Do what you will but don't be surprised when it comes off. That aluminum tube will get hot, either by being shot or from sun light.

So you can do it right once (drill the hole for the sling stud) or do it once wrong and once right.

In all seriousness, why are you so hesitant to drill the hole? Please answer that question.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]
when i got my jtdistributing varmint kit w/ bipod stud option what they did was time the slot so that it was dead center on the bottom and used the harris #5 adapter through the slot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top