Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 12:55:37 PM EDT
Is thier any reduction in accuracy or zero hold when mounting optics on a quality non-FF rail system like the KAC or MI 2 piece rails? From the fact that these are no gunsmithing rails and go on and off like normal handguards I would assume so. But I have seen numerous instances of optics and lasers being mounted on KAC's that are used by the military. could someone fill me in?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:05:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
Is thier any reduction in accuracy or zero hold when mounting optics on a quality non-FF rail system like the KAC or MI 2 piece rails? From the fact that these are no gunsmithing rails and go on and off like normal handguards I would assume so. But I have seen numerous instances of optics and lasers being mounted on KAC's that are used by the military. could someone fill me in?

I personally would not do it no matter whose system it was, there is always a room for a little play and it doenst take much play to get even a quality optic off. I would stick with a FF system if you where going to mount an optic to it.

I have a non FF YHM handgaurd and although its very tight i wouldnt think about mounting an optic on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:07:49 PM EDT
i wouldnt either.

they are susceptable to movement and would cause zero problems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:16:44 PM EDT
Don't mount optics or lasers on non-FF rails.

You can obviously mount other stuff like white lights, vfg, bipods, etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:16:45 PM EDT
I stuck my Aimpoint on my non-ff rail and put a magnifier on the receiver and pulled
around on the VFG and the dot was moving around quite a bit...

If you're hellbent on forward mounting, there are now some pretty affordable
FF's that don't require a ton of 'smithing...MI comes to mind.

my .02
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:20:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GhostRing:
I stuck my Aimpoint on my non-ff rail and put a magnifier on the receiver and pulled
around on the VFG and the dot was moving around quite a bit...

If you're hellbent on forward mounting, there are now some pretty affordable
FF's that don't require a ton of 'smithing...MI comes to mind.

my .02

Yes just put a set of MI two peice FF on my Beowulf (although I had to do some modification on the cap to get it to fit, but the beowulf is like .050 thicker than a typical barrel), the quality is GREAT! I would highly recommend MI for the quality and price! Just cut off the delta ring and spring/c-clip and bam install it with a few screws!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
Supposedly they will repeat like FF rail systems, but handguards have play in them which may just be enough for a potential loss of repeat. I don't have enough faith in them personally, even if the loss is negligible, but some shooters wouldn't notice the difference.

If free float rails are not an option I would go with a gooseneck rail where you won't have this issue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:22:55 PM EDT
Thats what I thought, but I see the military mounting all kinds of lasers and optics on thier system, so I wondered what the deal was.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
Lots of PAC4's and PEQ-2A's on non free floated KAC RAS's killin bad guys out their....

at CQB ranges you can get by as well, but that's not the best way and I would not do it it. I keep my Optics on the receiver rail where it belongs and I don't need a Laser.........YMMV
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:06:32 PM EDT
What about the RAS II, it has the raised portion of rails that clamps to the reciever. Looks like it was designed with optics in mind.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:13:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Harv24:
Lots of PAC4's and PEQ-2A's on non free floated KAC RAS's killin bad guys out their....

at CQB ranges you can get by as well, but that's not the best way and I would not do it it. I keep my Optics on the receiver rail where it belongs and I don't need a Laser.........YMMV

I've seen picture of PEQ-2A's held on to A2 handguards with tape. I don't know how common this is, but it sweems to me that it would limit the ability oif the user to get full use from his weapon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:58:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 6:01:50 PM EDT by GUARDIAN504]
I have used the YHM 2 piece handguard (#YHM-9670) to mount my EOTech on my Bushmaster for some time now. I have not noticed any movement or play that has caused a shift between p.o.a. and p.o.i. as mine appear to be solid and secure. Since I am a LEO, I have however after receiving the enclosed e-mail from Yankee Hill, removed the EOTech from this location and installed it on the upper receiver. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry! I hope this information helps.

Hello,
>

>
>Does this 2 piece handguard (YHM- 9670) mount securely enough on the
>rifle to mount and use an EO tech on it?
>

>
>Thank You,

Sorry about the delay in answering your e-mail.
It depends on the rifle, some guys say our 2 pc. hanguards are rock solid and some say they have a little play. These handguards are not guarantied not to have a little play in them. If you buy a set dirrectly from us and you are not satisfied with them, you can return them for a refund as long as the handguards are in resellable condition.
Thank you
Customer Service
YHM
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:56:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GUARDIAN504:
I have used the YHM 2 piece handguard (#YHM-9670) to mount my EOTech on my Bushmaster for some time now. I have not noticed any movement or play that has caused a shift between p.o.a. and p.o.i. as mine appear to be solid and secure. Since I am a LEO, I have however after receiving the enclosed e-mail from Yankee Hill, removed the EOTech from this location and installed it on the upper receiver. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry! I hope this information helps.

Hello,
>

>
>

>
>Thank You,

It depends on the rifle, some guys say our 2 pc. hanguards are rock solid and some say they have a little play. These handguards are not guarantied not to have a little play in them. If you buy a set dirrectly from us and you are not satisfied with them, you can return them for a refund as long as the handguards are in resellable condition.
Thank you
Customer Service
YHM

Not to change the subject, but you waited a long time before your first post. Nice to hear from you, though. My Sure-Fire two piece is very solid with loc-tite, but I haven't put any optics on yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 9:37:08 PM EDT by GUARDIAN504]

Originally Posted By safetyhit:

Originally Posted By GUARDIAN504:

Hello,
>

>
>

>
>Thank You,

Thank you
Customer Service
YHM

Not to change the subject, but you waited a long time before your first post. Nice to hear from you, though. My Sure-Fire two piece is very solid with loc-tite, but I haven't put any optics on yet.

Thank you. I unfortunately do not have a lot of free time to read and post, but I do try to pass on whatever information and knowledge I may have to help. Overall the people on this site seem to be very knowledgable and helpful.

If I am not mistaken doesn't the SureFire also have a set of locking screws in front for a more secure fit at the end cap?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:58:18 AM EDT
Yes, the Sure Fire does have screws at the end. They are what need the Loc-tite, as they will loosen after a couple hundred rounds or so. I do think it is a good product for the money and ease of installation.
Top Top