Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2006 7:41:58 AM EDT
I got a midwest industires ff tube for my beowulf However the front part of the tube does not fit over the barrell. It is shy by like .010.

What kind of clearance should this have? It should not fit tight over the barrel should it? How much clearnace should it have?

Also do i need to remove the ftont triangular plate before i install the ff tube?

thanks,
Josh
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#1]
so you are saying that the inner structure of the ff is touching the bbl? teh beowulf bbl. is thicker than std bbls. or are you having trouble closing the two rails over the triangle handguard cap?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
so you are saying that the inner structure of the ff is touching the bbl? teh beowulf bbl. is thicker than std bbls. or are you having trouble closing the two rails over the triangle handguard cap?

Its the front cap. not the top peice, or the lower peice, but the cap that connects the top and lower peices in the front at the gas block.

The cap meausres .977 and the barrel measures .988

I was told that the MI would fit, but I wouldn't think you would want it that tight as that defeats teh purpose of freefloating the barell right?

Thanks,
Josh
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
open up the i.d. of the cap.

what i would do myself since i am capable of doing so but if you're not send it back and go with troy/samson cause those work for sure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:57:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I just spoke with Troy at mid-west and he said a typical barrell is .920, so that means i need about  .146 removed from the inside of the cap to give it the spacing that i typical barrel has over the cap.

I have access to a machine shop so getting this done is no biggy, but what can I use to refinish the inside of the cap after it is machine?

Josh
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:58:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
open up the i.d. of the cap.

what i would do myself since i am capable of doing so but if you're not send it back and go with troy/samson cause those work for sure.

Yea i posted at the same time as you, im gonna try opening up the caps id, but what should I refinish it with to keep it from rusting/etc..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
i have used the birchwood casey aluminum black touch up pen without any ill effects and even used it on a custom gas block i made without it burning off.

but after discovering norrell's moly resin i would probably use it
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have used the birchwood casey aluminum black touch up pen without any ill effects and even used it on a custom gas block i made without it burning off.

but after discovering norrell's moly resin i would probably use it

LOL ill try the pen. If i buy some moly resin every firearm in my house would fear for its life because they would know paint was coming to them soon :p!!!

Thanks for the help.

Josh
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If you want, send it to me and I'll shoot some Colt Gray/Black Norrell's on it for you..just IM me...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you want, send it to me and I'll shoot some Colt Gray/Black Norrell's on it for you..just IM me...

Thanks I aprecaite it i will keep you in mind.... :)

i got to looking its gonna be close to get the clearance i need without cutting into the cutouts :(, maybe ill just make my own cap
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top