Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 4:37:07 PM EDT
Hi All,

I recently went to my local gun club with a friend and got the bug bigtime.  I had so much fun that I joined on the spot and now I am looking for a kick ass gun to play with.  The outdoor range is 200 yards so I am looking to hone my shooting skills with my soone to be purchased AR at this range.

My questions are as follows:

What AR is generally considered the best and most accurate?

What barrel length is best? 16"?

Is a flat top best option for optics mounting?

What scope or optics would be best for the 200 max range that the gun club has?  I see so many different options from Leupold, EOTech, Aimpoint, AGOC, etc....

Thank you in advance for helping me out.  I cannot wait to go and buy something.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer a 16" barrel flat top with an ACOG TA-11  works for me.  I would recomend Rock River Arms as I have had good luck with them for accuracy.  Bushmaster, Rock River Arms, Colt, Armalite are all good choices.  you may prefer somthing longer but 16" works just fine for me and shooting to 200 yards on a range its more than enough.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hi All,

I recently went to my local gun club with a friend and got the bug bigtime.  I had so much fun that I joined on the spot and now I am looking for a kick ass gun to play with.  The outdoor range is 200 yards so I am looking to hone my shooting skills with my soone to be purchased AR at this range.

My questions are as follows:

What AR is generally considered the best and most accurate?

What barrel length is best? 16"?

Is a flat top best option for optics mounting?

What scope or optics would be best for the 200 max range that the gun club has?  I see so many different options from Leupold, EOTech, Aimpoint, AGOC, etc....

Thank you in advance for helping me out.  I cannot wait to go and buy something.

You could probably do pretty well with a bone stock RRA/ Colt / Bushy or whatever with just the irons and the right ammo.  200 yards is not that far.  It's a matter of what do you want to put holes into at that range.  If you want to shoot silhouette targets, there is no need for anything special, if you want to shoot little tiny groups to brag to everyone or shoot prairie dogs or something like that, then you have some researching to do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for stock rifle with good ammo and irons.

but if you want a rifle to grow into i would probably suggest custom. there are a bunch of great dealers/gunsmith that could build you a great upper/rifle located in the industry/equipment exchange
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Stick with a 16" midlength.  Once you accepted that as the best all around set up, you should hold off for a month and read the AR15 forum and browse the picture threads.

You'll find that you're on the tip of the iceburg.  There's an insane amount of info you should catch up on.

A 16" midlength with a free floated barrel and a flattop will give you an AR you can grow into....

and you WILL grow into it.

BRD is inevitable.  You will be assimilated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a variment rig??

like a 20" bull barrel built up rig??

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/stoutshooter/DSC00869.jpg

this is mine, a littlebut overkill for 200 yds but hey, why not??
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are going to use this as a all around general purpose AR then go witha 16" flat-top and get a folding rear sight plus a fixed power scope.  You can go the expensive optic route if you plane to hunt varmints with it.  If you are just using it for range and plinking fun then go with a more moderately priced optic.  Or you can buy multiple optics.  No AR is complete without a scope and a EOTech or Aimpoint.  My suggestion as far as a AR goes would be the RRA Elite CAR A4 it is a midlength upper.

As far as optics go for I would suggest:
ATN 5X33LU $250

or
Schmidt & Bender 1.1–4 x 20 CQB Short Dot Police Marksman II $2200

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I still like the buckmaster line myself...

$279 lands you a 4.5-14 Mil-dot Side-Focus 40mm with 91-92% light transmission.
Its going to be my first "serious" scope that isn't made by tasco, bsa, etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thank you in advance for helping me out.

pics/info in this thread:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=267139

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have no interest in the whole tactical thing, I'd suggest a RRA (or even better WOA) varmint rig with a Leupold 4.5-14x.  You can bust lots of caps and shoot tight groups.

Amaze your friends....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I know i'll get flack but.........

Just a model 1 sales ar15 w/ 20" fluted SS barrel and a sightron 3-9x40mm mildot scope...Shoot quarters at 100yds easy , so 200yds isn't a problem at all. Plus i spent less than $1k on it with the scope.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top