Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:08:21 PM EDT
Specifically talking about krylon or spray jobs here.  What did you use for templates?  Did you just cut paper into random shapes, order a kit........?   Looking to do my M4, but thought it would get a word or two from those whove tried first.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
www.bulldogarms.com  Try here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.bulldogarms.com  Try here.

Good link...almost looks too easy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
i used netting found in the walmart fabric section.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Graph paper with tape backing......

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, those digi camo jobs are pretty good.

It will take a while for me to sneak a pic,  but I just finished a MK11 and an SR-25 spray job.  They were both previously sprayed and the paint was pretty shoddy (half missing from wear and tear) so I took the liberty of respraying them.

I did one in a more "woodland" color scheme and the other is more scrub brush desert.

The scrub brush desert one I used Flekstone in tan as the second coat over ultra flat tan.  Ultra flat OD over 80% of the Flek with some of the tan coming through.  Finally, a little ultra flat brown in streaks.  All sprayed right from the can with no templates.  Other than laziness, nature doesn't have many sharp edges so I left the edges blury.  Past 20 meters most camo patterns look like one color anyway.

I should have a couple pics by next week.

Edited to add:  I also remove as much paint and oil as possible via the solvent tank.  It turns the plastic grey, but paint holds better to dried out aluminium and plastic.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Tag. I've got a link on my home machine for generating the masks.

ETA: Here's the link. I suggest playing around with this quite a bit to get a feel for what it can do and provides.

Camo generator
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Tag. I've got a link on my home machine for generating the masks.

Soopa-tag!

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Specifically talking about krylon or spray jobs here.  What did you use for templates?

Just laid the gun down, used shop rags to mask off parts of the gun I didn't want to spray, and let rip with the rattle can. The edges didn't come out perfect, of course, but that's not a bad thing IMHO.

Overall effect turned out pretty darn good for a first attempt.

Colors are Aervoe matte epoxy spraypaint from Brownells, with a topcoat of Alumahyde II matte clear for durability.

In retrospect, I would have done a few things differently:

1) chosen slightly different colors for better contrast; overall I think the pattern is a little homogenous, since the Aervoe "field drab" and "OD green" are pretty much identical.

2) taken my time and let each coat dry completely before applying the next. As it was, I got impatient and did the whole thing in the course of one evening.

3) use a different product for the topcoat; AHII "matte clear" is still too shiny for my tastes. Or perhaps a light sanding afterward would knock the shine down.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:32:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If you dampen the paper masks they will "stick" to your project while you spray with out risk of leaking sticky residue behind.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Graph paper with tape backing......

img43.imageshack.us/img43/693/graphpaperresizedmedium9jv.jpg

img43.imageshack.us/img43/5210/canonwhitecompmedium28ng.jpg

Mr. Stickman,  I don't suppose  you could give a brief "how to" on how you laid down your homemade masks? What I mean is did you use the small ones first and then work your way up to the big ones or...?

I know you've posted in detail on how to  paint, and the steps needed to prep your surface, but I don't recall anything about the masking part.

Thank you,

Gene
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Used mesh and/or ghillie netting-

[ link to LARGER image ]
[ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Here is a picture of my rifle that a friend and I used Krylon to paint.  We did a base coat in OD green with alternating strips of kaki and earth brown.  After the striping a fine "mist" of green was applied over it.  

At this time I have also applied the camouflage to the Aimpoint and my M4-2000 silencer.  I will post and updated, outdoors shot when I get a chance.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:20:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Heres a start.  Did the lower today.  

ETA: its not that shiny, thats my craptastic digital

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't drop those rifles.  You'll never find them.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought a used frankengun a few weeks ago at a steal.  Functions and shoot fine but in my opinion it's a "beater".  Some dingaling scratched the paint with something sharp and unsteady trying to put in a series of numbers and letters.  Will a paint job like the author's talking about cover this up?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Heres a start.  Did the lower today.  

ETA: its not that shiny, thats my craptastic digital

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c366/skyshark186/Picture091.jpg

i31.photobucket.com/albums/c366/skyshark186/Picture092.jpg

I was just wondering, how does it feel to paint over a Hogue grip? How does the grip feel afterwards? I would think that because it is a soft rubber that is kind-of sticky, the paint would flake-off as the grip is squeezed after a while. IM me would you? Thanks,

- rem
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#20]
DOnt know about the other guys but I used Rustoleum.  It worked pretty well.  I used some cheap "mesh" from the walmart cloth section to break it up a little.  My total cost was under 10 bucks

The hogue doesnt feel too bad.  Its still a little tacky cus it hasnt fully cured, but Im going to bake it in relatively low heat to get the paint to set.  It actually didnt change the feel of the grip much.  Im happy with it.  The pictures just make it look really shiny, and its actually pretty dark.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Used mesh and/or ghillie netting-

apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/MSTN-LW17/small/A100_0194_img.jpg[ link to LARGER image ]
apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/AI-AWP/small/A100_1882_img.jpg[ link to LARGER image ]

What paints did you use for these jobs?

On the AR, I used Aluma-Hyde.  On the AI, I used dura-coat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Not an AR and not painted on the rifle itself, but here is my M1A that I painted with Krylon and homemade templates a couple of years ago.

This picture does not do this justice. It was my first and only attempt at a camo job.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#23]
When I did mine I degressed it with some engine degresser then I had three colors one light brown, one dark brown and one gree. Sprayed a few base coats of light brown. let that dry.

then about every 6 inches I sprayed a diagnal strip of green, then I tried my best to blend the two with the dark brown.

It came out ok

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top