Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:59 PM EDT

A couple of nights ago I pulled out some new D&H mags, disassembled them, and installed Magpul Gen 2 enhanced (gray) followers and a mix of Ranger and Lumpy plates.  I made some observations which folks who have not installed these may find interesting should they decide to install any of these.  

1.  The followers had a fair amount of flash around the edge of the upper surface.  While I figured this would likely be of no functional consequence, I wanted to confirm this.  Before joining each follower and spring, I put each follower into it's mag body and let it drop toward the top of the mag.  In each case, the follower slid to the top of the mag without resistance.  Good stuff -- no worries about the flash.  This test may be more relevant with other mag brands or Gen 1 followers.  

2.  Regarding the Ranger and Lumpy plates, each had some amount of rubber flash covering part of the stainless steel tabs that slide under the corresponding mag body tabs.  In most cases, this flash was of no consequence.  In some cases, however, it bunched up as the plates were slid on, making it difficult to slide them all the way home.  Not a big deal, but on many of the plates, I trimmed the flash with a small knife to help the plates slide home without undue force.

3.  Also regarding the Ranger and Lumpy plates, some of the lock plates had flash in the form of a cylindrical molding protrusion just below the tab that pops up behind the plate.  In a couple of cases, I think it caused resistance to the tab popping up like it should, so I checked each lock plate and trimmed as necessary.  

I don't consider any of these as significant issues, just by-products of mass production molding.  I'm happy with each Magpul product I've tried.  Maybe it's just my anal-retentive Engineer personality, but I felt inclined to take a few extra minutes to make sure everything went together as intended, and I though I'd share with the class.  

DrMark

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]

Hey Denny!

BTW, my Magpul stuff came from from Denny with his usual great service and prices.

I hope no one infers any negativity from my post -- that Magpul stuff does just what it is intended to do, and I'm sure I'll be buying more in the future.

Now I've got 280 rounds loaded in the mags... gotta get to the range!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:38:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I trimmed the little edges off of both the followers and the rubber flashing out of the way on my ranger plates, did I need to? I dont know, i did it becuase these mags mean life or death and I like to live :D

(absalutly no failers at all with any of the mags that I have installed Magpul followers and rangerplates in, when I was unloading my brand new mags so that I could install my magpul stuff half of them stuck, they are worth the money to me. )
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top