Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:59:03 PM EDT
Ok, I have a Colt 6920 I bought used and I really wanted an A3 type rifle with the 20" government barrel and the A2 stock. I had a Bushmaster like this but it came with a HBAR and I do not like this so I sold it. Being a Kool aid drinker,  I require the rifle to be 100% Colt so I was thinking of removing the collapsible stock and rebarelling the rifle with a Colt barrel. I do not have one and do not know where to get one right now but I will keep looking, preferably with an F marked FSB.

Opinions, comments, flames, favorite recipies?

EDIT: Normally one could buy a new M4 upper receiver and build it as desired, BUT I do not have the $$$$ to buy a new M4 upper as these are so overpriced (at least the Colt  ones) and then to also get a barrel, and I have other priorities in terms of new firearms (cough) FN FS2000(/cough)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't do it.  The factory Colt 6920 is worth more intact.  If it's not what you want, sell it and buy what you do want.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I wouldn't do it.  The factory Colt 6920 is worth more intact.  If it's not what you want, sell it and buy what you do want.

Not no, but HELL no! ...........and put the crack-pipe down!

grab another upper.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Nah, go ahead, swap out barrels. Why not?

If you can cure yourself of the Colt-mania, you can probaly do this fairly cheap provided you turn around and sell the take-offs. if you gotta have Colt, well....

SA will charge you ~$400 bucks for the barrel you want. Gas tube and handguards for another, what, $50? Say you get $200 for your cast-off barrel.....you're still out $250. (This presumes you don't have to buy tools.)

If this kind of outlay seems reasonable to you, go for it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Come on guys, I can't believe some of you don't know what a Colt 6920 is. Not in here I don't. Anyway, for those who do not know, here is what I'm talking about.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Voted No.

Buy something else or build a mutt and shoot the beJesus out of it.

You asked,
Scott
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I would leave that fine rifle just  the way it is
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Just build another upper with Kolt parts.  There's no law against having two uppers for the same weapon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#8]
A colt only has "extra' value to someone who values colts. Change it to whatever you want, if you don't like it then, change it again to something else.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just build another upper with Kolt parts.  There's no law against having two uppers for the same weapon.

Except that an extra upper always leads to another receiver
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
i wouldn't do it - but if you do IM ne regarding "leftover parts"

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell no

Colt flat top 20inch uppers can easily be found if you want to over pay for the name     see Autoweapons.com

specifically here look at the 8th item down the page www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

or you could find any number of dealers on this site or outside of it that sell comparable product.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hell no

Colt flat top 20inch uppers can easily be found if you want to over pay for the name     see Autoweapons.com

specifically here look at the 8th item down the page www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

or you could find any number of dealers on this site or outside of it that sell comparable product.

holy crap - is that place proud of their gear or what?  Very nice stuff indeed - but yikes......

leave it alone and buy a second rifle of the configuration you would like.  I wouldn't mess with the 6920
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't turn a Colt 6920 into a parts gun please. Keep it and buy an Hbar.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Who cares if it is worth more intact or not.  The real question is it worth more to you in the original configuration or the way you want to modify it.  Go ahead and do to it what you want.  Lets your kids worry about value after you are gone.  It's your rifle, enjoy it.

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:17:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Whoa!!! I must say I was surprised by the results of the poll. Wel the decision has been made. I thought it was going to be about 50/50 but most of you guys say NO.

I had second thoughts but I decided to go another way. I wil rebarrel the rifle but only for a while. Since I cannot afford to get a complete upper right now, I do not want an HBAR (I just sold the one I had), and I cannot get a M4 upper right now, I will re-barrel the one I have and as more $$$ becomes available I wil get another M4 upper and put the barrel on that one. So then eventually I will be able to switch uppers at will. Hope no-one's feelings get too hurt.

Thanks to all for your input!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Jeese.

All these people saying "a rifle is just a tool" in other threads are damn near pleading with you to spare the "collectability" of your rifle by just selling it and buying what you want like there's something sacred about an intact mass-produced rifle with a pony on it.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, IMO.

I say modify at will or buy a Rock River.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top