Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 3:00:46 PM EDT
I remember a long time ago, there was a thread about a guy who made his own ballistic jelly like stuff to shoot at and see what happens to the bullet after it goes through a few inches.  I don't remember what he made it out of though.  I was wondering if someone could tell me what this home made stuff is made of, or search through the archives and copy/paste the origional post.  thanks for the help in advanced...

Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy from the Box o truth used modeling clay.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel.  They make the stuff all the time.

Edit : check this out for really examining the jelly hit.
www.dexadine.com/bexw.html
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_gelatin#Preparation and I think you'll find what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Real ballistic gelatin is very expensive, but when I wanted some I spoke to someone at Knox (who is one of the makers of the real thing) and was told that regular, unflavored Knox gelatin like you buy in the grocery store is pretty much the same without the strict controls on quality and ingredients that the ballistics gel gets.  I bought about $30 of unflavored Knox gelatin, mixed it up carefully (one of the secrets of repeatablility is to mix exactly according to the instructions every time and keep it at an exact temperature) and poured it into cheap bread pans to harden.  Put it in an ice chest and took it out to the desert.  For a non  scientific test I think it worked great, it gave me a very good idea of the differences in expansion, depth of penetration and permanent wound cavity size between different loads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Real ballistic gelatin is very expensive, but when I wanted some I spoke to someone at Knox (who is one of the makers of the real thing) and was told that regular, unflavored Knox gelatin like you buy in the grocery store is pretty much the same without the strict controls on quality and ingredients that the ballistics gel gets.  I bought about $30 of unflavored Knox gelatin, mixed it up carefully (one of the secrets of repeatablility is to mix exactly according to the instructions every time and keep it at an exact temperature) and poured it into cheap bread pans to harden.  Put it in an ice chest and took it out to the desert.  For a non  scientific test I think it worked great, it gave me a very good idea of the differences in expansion, depth of penetration and permanent wound cavity size between different loads.

Cool! I think I need to try that some time...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top