Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the Colt if you going to buy a built rifle

Or

Build two yourself and get better quality then your second option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You can buy a name or 2 good ARs......your money, your choise
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the CRAB's.

Colt
RRA
Armalite
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
get what you want
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The MT6400C has a standard front pivot pin, does not have a pinned in auto sear block, does have over sized trigger/hammer pin holes, and $1,400 is WAY to much money for one.

It doesn't have a pinned in sear block, it just isn't milled out.  It is a sear block though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
All my AR's are  Colt's. They are without a doubt superior to other production guns. However, In this case I might go for the two dpms's. This way you will still want a Colt and then you will eventually have 3 AR's....... Two to plink with and one for serious work......
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
get both
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The MT6400C has a standard front pivot pin, does not have a pinned in auto sear block, does have over sized trigger/hammer pin holes, and $1,400 is WAY to much money for one.

It doesn't have a pinned in sear block, it just isn't milled out.  It is a sear block though.

And your DPMS receivers have a high shelf so the point is moot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are the same height a full auto  factory colt M16 A2.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's definitely good to know.  It's a shame I don't have more faith in their quality.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt MT6400 ... for $979

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976258747.htm

That leaves enough to build a DPMS ....   almost ....

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
since its dpms or colt
go with the colt

+1
DMPS = Don't Mess with Panther Shit
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'll continue to go against the tide, but I'd rather have one very nice AR than two pretty good (or maybe even not so good) AR's. But it would really depend on what your needs are.

I'll go ahead and agree with new-arguy.  Buy the Colt; it's quality not quantity.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I will never understand the facination that gun collectors have with quantity over quality.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Colt MT6400 ... for $979

That leaves enough to build a DPMS .... almost ....

Ah man.... you guys are great with the imput!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:19:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's definitely good to know.  It's a shame I don't have more faith in their quality.

You haven't handled enough DPMS rifles to know whether they've got high shelves, yet you feel qualified to offer an opinion on their quality?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Colt MT6400 ... for $979

That leaves enough to build a DPMS .... almost ....Ah man.... you guys are great with the imput!!!

Ah, you are of course aware that that particular rifle is in post-ban configuration, correct? For that price, that's probably a decent deal but unless you want a muzzle brake and pinned collapsible stock, you're going to have to drop some $$$ to replace them with genuine Colt parts.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is one in the EE for sale-

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=323096

He has a lot of stuff on it and he did alot to it to change it to a no-ban config.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You haven't handled enough DPMS rifles to know whether they've got high shelves, yet you feel qualified to offer an opinion on their quality?

I've seen enough blown bolts to feel qualified to advise myself not to buy their stuff.  What somebody else buys is their business.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
get what you want

No, get what I tell you you want...COLT!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
get all three
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Another for the DPMS.

The more the merrier. And it makes Finestein,schumer,Blagojevich,Durbin cry.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#24]
pass the kool-aid...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Someone said there rifles were 100% reliable after break-in. I know some weapons need to get broke-in to be reliable.

I prefer to keep the ones that work right from the start. My LMT has been 100% from the start, and thats with the first 500+ rounds being under powered dirty WOLF ammo. Then I tried some named brand brass ammos. They were more accurate than the WOLF ammo. They were also more expensive to kill paper. So I went back to WOLF ammo. To this day not a single glitch.

Iv used nothing but WOLF in my 6920 from the start with ZERO malfunctions. Of corse it only seen like 60 rounds total. But all 60 or so rounds of WOLF were flawless. (SAFE QUEEN)

I went with the two above for the over all features others did not offer. I have no bashing to offer at this time. Rest assured I will if/when I do.

As for great fit and finnish I have a Stag lower that is awsome. Of corse its the upper that realy counts here, and at this point its a little light on top.

Good luck either way. AR's are like a box of chocolates. You never know what ur gona get.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone said there rifles were 100% reliable after break-in. I know some weapons need to get broke-in to be reliable.

I prefer to keep the ones that work right from the start. My LMT has been 100% from the start, and thats with the first 500+ rounds being under powered dirty WOLF ammo. Then I tried some named brand brass ammos. They were more accurate than the WOLF ammo. They were also more expensive to kill paper. So I went back to WOLF ammo. To this day not a single glitch.

Iv used nothing but WOLF in my 6920 from the start with ZERO malfunctions. Of corse it only seen like 60 rounds total. But all 60 or so rounds of WOLF were flawless. (SAFE QUEEN)

I went with the two above for the over all features others did not offer. I have no bashing to offer at this time. Rest assured I will if/when I do.

As for great fit and finnish I have a Stag lower that is awsome. Of corse its the upper that realy counts here, and at this point its a little light on top.

Good luck either way. AR's are like a box of chocolates. You never know what ur gona get.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#27]
the colt, no question.

Of course if somebody offered me a new ferrari or two kias i wouldn't be driving a kia.

How many rifles can you shoot accuratly at one time?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Dont ask brand questions on here.  Its retarded, and only continues to get more retarded every time.  

Look at it this way.  Youve got 1400 dollars.  Pick your poison.  You buy the colt, get buyers remorse, sell it and get two.  You buy the DPMS, they suck, you sell em and buy your colt.  

Its an edjucation.  The only persons opinion that matters is yours.  Not any yahoo with a keyboard.  ME TOO.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I'd go with a CMT/Stag lower and build an upper to my liking with the optics I want on it for $1400.  

If you drop $1400 on a Colt, you will have a basic rifle that is nothing special IMO (and I also own a Colt).  

I have a DPMS lower, which I think is great, and better finished than what I've seen of current Colt lowers lately, but I do not care for DPMS parts.  The first DPMS LPK I bought had an out-of-spec front hinge-pin that caused me grief, and cost me about $5 less than I could have bought a CMT LPK or Bushmaster LPK.  

My suggestion is to look at several of the vendors in the EE that have great deals on their websites for parts that are just as good as Colt's.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:52:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I still say COLT.......................
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:18:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Go Colt or go home. DPMS Sucks I speak from experience of having to keep them running for my last department.  Colt is the best there is right now for reliable AR15's. If you buy both DPMS's you might get one that runs right.
Pat
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:25:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a new guy, it amazes me how there are so many different opinions about so many different makes... its almost mind boggling!

Anyway, here is my take on 2 vs. 1:

If you have two, and one goes down, you STILL have one. If you have one and it goes down then you have NONE. See my logic?

By the way, I have a new DPMS M4gery and so far I love it.

E

but if the two are sure to go down before the one what do you have then?

They won't
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Jesus, all this talk about Ferraris and Kias, or Turd-world shoes that you wear to go "cross country". We're talking about AR 15 rifles here, for God's sake, and although I personally don't have or used DPMS, my bet is that both those weapons are going to shoot right outta the box, with minimal risk of a failure. The dude isn't going into battle for his life with them, he's just gonna shoot the things. FWIW, I'd rather have 2 AR's in my safe, especially if I'm new to the routine. I can build up from there.

I am now and always will be a devout Colt Kool-Aid drinker; if all I could own was Colt that would be just fine with me. But, my interest is two-pronged, One: The Colt holds its value, even after use, and Two: I like to shoot a LOT. Now, if I was only interested in shooting and not having a weapon which held its value more than the others, I'd shoot whatever I could get my hands on-DPMS. Bushie, Eagle/Armalite, Rock River.  If, however, I wished to shoot and own a weapon I could trade up or sell later for more than I prob. paid for originally, I'd go with the Colt. Having said that, I have a mix of Colt, Bushmaster, ArmaLite, Eagle and a Rock River. ALL ARE SOLID SHOOTERS----NOT AN ISSUE AMONG ANY, but the Colts will fetch more in resale than any of the others.

Which is also why I own a Barrett M82A1. See my point? I could have gotten a Cobb, Armalite, LAR or even one of the other Barrett models, but I bought the Cream of the Crop M82A1as an investment and a shooter, which I could shoot the shit out of and still sell it for more than I originally paid.

That's where the rubber hits the road for me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
but if the two are sure to go down before the one what do you have then?

A threesome?

Seriously...what I'd do is buy one of the DPMS rifles and pimp it out or add an ACOG with the left over money.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Go Colt or go home. DPMS Sucks I speak from experience of having to keep them running for my last department.  Colt is the best there is right now for reliable AR15's. If you buy both DPMS's you might get one that runs right.
Pat

Couldn't said it better.................
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:25:53 AM EDT
[#36]
I would go for THE COLT!

I have own lots of Colts and had trouble with a couple!
Colt did fix it!

Also have 2 bushmasters with no CANTED SIGHT!

B,C,R
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
After many rounds (1000+) through my DPMS I have had no problems.  Only difference is I got their Race Rifle not their normal AR-15.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Two is one; one is none.

You either believe (and live) this or you do not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Two is one; one is none.
You either believe (and live) this or you do not.

Well since two DPMS combined aren't half the rifle that the Colt is.....

I guess two is one, one is none, and 1/2 is shit?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Well since two DPMS combined aren't half the rifle that the Colt is.....

Not my experience, but YMMV...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:00:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have been contemplating the following scenario for quite some time, and it could be that I suffer from the "BMW VS Honda syndrome" but here goes...  I have a choice between 2 dpms rifles (classic 16 and the 20" classic) or 1 colt mt6400... now in essence two is always better than one, what would you do? Price $1400

Or you could get a new LE 6920 for $1100 here and still have enough for an EO Tech.

www.knesekguns.com/price.php

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#42]
OR an aimpoint
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Go for two.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:45:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I really enjoy the learning process involved with rifles, and appreciate all the CORREECT facts that are have been posted, but I can't help the undermining fact, that it seems more people despise DPMS. I mean, I understand people pay hundreds of dollars extra for a Colt over a DMPS, but could the fact remain that these same people are feeling the effect of the dollar? What I mean is, if I bought a high end AR (colt) I sure as hell, would feel as if anything else is pretty much garbage. What I really would like to understand is the dynamics of such assumptions. Do they really suck, or is it the guys who own the colts, feel they need to express the fact they have a $1500 rifle so it must be better? Don't get me wrong here, I understand the military aspect of colt, but damn it... they don't sell military rifles to us!!! Actually, im going to stop typing because, this is a losing battle. At first all I wanted to know was an opinion, but now if possible I would like PEOPLE WITH KNOWLEDGE., to back up their arguments,on why DPMS suck. Not trying to start a fire here, just wanting to learn more......
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:02:08 AM EDT
[#45]
if I were you and you need facts call DPMS and call Colt, and ask them both what are the pro and cons of each. I know from owning, selling and working with DPMS they are high quality rifles. Also look at Gun Test magazines for further information. They have consistanly picked DPMS over other manufactures.

Gun Test magazine is not a sponser driven magazine, they have no ads for vendors and this gives them the ability to give honest opinions on the products they test.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#46]
if I were you and you need facts call DPMS and call Colt, and ask them both what are the pro and cons of each. I know from owning, selling and working with DPMS they are high quality rifles. Also look at Gun Test magazines for further information. They have consistanly picked DPMS over other manufactures.

Gun Test magazine is not a sponser driven magazine, they have no ads for vendors and this gives them the ability to give honest opinions on the products they test.

Yes, anyone can read a specs sheet, but only one with knowledge can correctly asses any rifle to its optimized standards. I am for sure, no professional, and I would go as far to say that many others on this board as well as elsewhere, including military, do not fully understand what makes a rife a superior rifle. I can call DPMS, and I can call Colt, they will both tell me something else about their completion, why, you may ask? Due to the fact this is a capitalist society and at the end of the day DPMS and Colt are for-profit companies. Now there are minorities of men and women, who understand as stated above... it's these people i am looking for, if on this board. Thank you guys and girls all for your continuous help....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top