Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2006 7:18:14 AM EDT
I came across an upper with markings that can be seen here:
markings

Are these uppers any good? Are they aluminum?

Any comments about these whatsoever?

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:24:52 AM EDT
Those are high quality forged aluminum receivers... COLT, Bushmaster and other top brand manufacturers use them...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:24:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 7:25:22 AM EDT by Stickman]
They are a raw forging, but never a finished product as far as I know. While they are used by many palces, they don't make a complete product.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:37:10 AM EDT
+1 to Stickman's comment above. Cerro ONLY produces the raw forging, no machine work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:39:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:44:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Russ4777:
+1 to Stickman's comment above. Cerro ONLY produces the raw forging, no machine work.

Yeah but he didnt ask if the forging was any good...

He would like to know if the upper that had that marking is any good...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:19:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Lon_Moer:
cerrofabricated.com/products_firearm.htm

Lon,

Once again you provide factual info while the rest of us are babbling.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:52:14 AM EDT
anyone know how I could identify the maker(finisher) of that upper with only the cerro markings? There are no other visible marks on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:57:17 AM EDT
I have seen Colt with 3 markings on the upper : A C "guess that is for Colt", and the Diemaco logo and the Cerro forge. Does anyone know what this means?. I would guess its forged by Cerro, and finished by Diemaco for Colt?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:58:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 10:06:25 AM EDT by theshootersden]

Originally Posted By theseacow:
anyone know how I could identify the maker(finisher) of that upper with only the cerro markings? There are no other visible marks on it.

Theres no way to tell with out any other markings... Ive seen Bushmasters with just the key hole roll mark... It could be one of the many different AR manufacturers finished receivers...

How about the barrel? Does it have anything stamped onto it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:02:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/25/2006 10:05:22 AM EDT by theshootersden]

Originally Posted By motoman1:
I have seen Colt with 3 markings on the upper : A C "guess that is for Colt", and the Diemaco logo and the Cerro forge. Does anyone know what this means?. I would guess its forged by Cerro, and finished by Diemaco for Colt?

I would have to say your guess is right...

COLT bought Diemaco and is now COLT's Canadian company... But then again, rumor has it that General Dynamics had recently bought COLT so it might be their step child...
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:02:59 AM EDT
Les Baer's finished uppers are roll-marked with "LBC" (Les Baer Custom).
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:24:24 AM EDT
The Colt that I saw was a new 6721 A3 flattop. the upper was marked m4 above the gas tube and the upper had the Cerro mark and the Diemaco triangle logo Both were part of the forging ie raised marks. The 'c" was a stamped mark. The barrel was typical Colt HBAR marked 5.56 NATO 1/9.
The bolt carrier is the m16 with a Diemaco mark onlt. The bolt was marked MPC like a Colt. The extractor was also marked by colt. The lower has the typicl Colt rollmarks. Thats why I guessed that Colt had Cerro forge the upper and Diemaco finished it along with a Colt barrel and a Diemaco BC and a Colt bolt. Colt assembled the finished gun and just stamped a C on the upper on inspection
Top Top