Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:06:08 PM EDT
I plan on doing the paperwork to get a can in the next few months and have been checking out the various options. I am considering a reflex suppressor, so I can have the short length of a suppressed SBR and keep the advantages of a 16" barrel.

I know reflex cans are supposedly not as quiet as the traditional designs, but with a supersonic round, the weapon will never be truly "silent" anyway. I want a weapon that can be fired in a closed space without being deafening on a 16" barrel, and not give away my location when shooting coyotes with a 20" rifle.

Anyone have experience with a reflex suppressor? Any certain brands to check out or avoid. I know reflex suppressors are popular in parts of Europe, but I haven't found much info about domestic reflex cans.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#1]
There are 3 back over the barrel designs sold in the US right now.

Surefire, very light at 17oz, not the quietest at 27.9 db reduction and at $1200 its super expensive. Comes with integral A2 mount.

Ops Inc, still not released but supposed to be any day.  Supposed to be very quiet, uses a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider and is used on military SPR rifles.

Troy/RD systems, medium weight at 21oz, short as the Surefire, $890, can use any flash hider such as the Phantom or Vortex.  Its supposed to be as quiet as the Ops Inc cans.  Its suppsoed to be so similar Seberger actually sued Troy for making the can and its now sold under the RD Systems name.  There is a for sale ad for this suppressor in the EE.  I would make sure current litigation has not spilled over to RD before placing an order.  I was supposed to have my suppressor en route by this weekend but now its in limbo.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Come to SHOT booth 701 and see the one I ordered up in 6.8SPC......:).

Simon
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#3]
taggage
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There are 3 back over the barrel designs sold in the US right now.

Surefire, very light at 17oz, not the quietest at 27.9 db reduction and at $1200 its super expensive. Comes with integral A2 mount.

Ops Inc, still not released but supposed to be any day.  Supposed to be very quiet, uses a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider and is used on military SPR rifles.

Troy/RD systems, medium weight at 21oz, short as the Surefire, $890, can use any flash hider such as the Phantom or Vortex.  Its supposed to be as quiet as the Ops Inc cans.  Its suppsoed to be so similar Seberger actually sued Troy for making the can and its now sold under the RD Systems name.  There is a for sale ad for this suppressor in the EE.  I would make sure current litigation has not spilled over to RD before placing an order.  I was supposed to have my suppressor en route by this weekend but now its in limbo.

Surefire street price is $1050, so it's not that bad of a deal.

I'll be checking out the RD Systems as soon as DevL gets his
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Does RD systems have a website that I could check out?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Even with the Surefire, you'd adding an additional 4" (roughly) over the Flash Hider.

Something cheaper, like the TAC-15, you'll be adding 6.5"

There's weight savings, etc. etc. But there's also about $650 difference in price. The Surefire also cannot be used on barrels shorter than 14.5".
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does RD systems have a website that I could check out?

Yes, however...very little has to do with suppressors. They make mostly industrial type machines.

www.easymation.com Main page

Kinda have to search around for info, talks alittle bit about making stuff for Troy Industries.

www.easymation.com/ammo4.htm
www.easymation.com/ammo6.htm
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Even with the Surefire, you'd adding an additional 4" (roughly) over the Flash Hider.

There's weight savings, etc. etc. But there's also about $650 difference in price. The Surefire also cannot be used on barrels shorter than 14.5".

It'll work with a MRP CQB with a 12.5" barrel. It'll work with 13.75" barrel with a Troy MRF-MX...

With the Surefire you have to look at all of the combined attributes. Yes, it's 4" past the muzzle, and it's only 17 oz, and it gets as much suppression as a KAC M4QD. It also has less than an MOA (closer to 1/4-1/2 MOA depending on the barrel) POI shift when added.

But then again, I'm a little biased...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

There is an adapter available for short barrels now.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The RD can be used on an 11.5" barrel and adds only 3.75" making it as shorter than a 14.5" barreled weapon with no suppressor.  I got word my suppressor is built, paid for, and the paperwork is approved by the ATF.  I will know by Wednesday if I will be receiving my suppressor or getting a refund.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#11]
How the fuck is a muffler $1000?? These are worth maybe $75 at best- there isn't anything to them and R&D- well it isn't like they haven't been used for decades.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How the fuck is a muffler $1000?? These are worth maybe $75 at best- there isn't anything to them and R&D- well it isn't like they haven't been used for decades.

Stainless steel construction, CNC machining, Inconel blast baffle, the price of the licenses, tooling and employees, the blackened finish, the dozens of revision in R&D (suppressors keep getting better). Nah, nothing to it!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It isn't like they are a whole rifle, with intricate parts, springs, barrels that need to be turned down then rifled, chrome lined, sights with small adjustable parts, bearings, pins etc. A can is a muffler, a tube, some baffles, really fairly simple, and I would be hard pressed to see how they could even cost more than $75 each to produce.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why dont you go into the business sell them for $150 and make yourself a million bucks then genious?  Let me guess... you have no idea what goes into making a suppressor do you?  THere is over $75 just in labor on the milling machine before you calculate materials, SOT cost, finish, equipment, etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It isn't like they are a whole rifle, with intricate parts, springs, barrels that need to be turned down then rifled, chrome lined, sights with small adjustable parts, bearings, pins etc. A can is a muffler, a tube, some baffles, really fairly simple, and I would be hard pressed to see how they could even cost more than $75 each to produce.  

Ever price out CNC mills?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]
There's way more than $75 involved in making a quality suppressor, but even more to the point, when people are willing to pay $1000, then why lower the price?  Now that's not a slam, but a simple statement of market driven price structuring.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Creeper...your end of the market isn't worth getting out of bed for.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Creeper...your end of the market isn't worth getting out of bed for.

I'm not one to call people out, but I couldn't agree more. Seeing some of his recent posts makes me think he's possibly a troll accout though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
There's way more than $75 involved in making a quality suppressor, but even more to the point, when people are willing to pay $1000, then why lower the price?  Now that's not a slam, but a simple statement of market driven price structuring.

To a large extent this is true... supply and demand. in countries where there are no or very weak restricitons on owning a can they are not at all that spendy -- But, they are controlled here and can not be inported for private sales, captive market...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
IIRC, the SF suppressor has an EDM cut baffle stack.

ASU, IM me your phone #. Got a Q for ya.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top