Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 4:26:24 PM EDT
What are the benefits and drawlbacks of the different types lower receivers? Forged vs machined billet vs cast.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:29:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 4:30:45 PM EDT by Stickman]
Forged lowers are inexpensive, and high quality. Cast are slightly cheaper, but of lower quality. Billet is an expensive alternative, and usually 3 times the price of the forged lower, without 3 times the benefit, which is why they stay a miniscule portion of the market.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:35:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 4:42:16 PM EDT by j3_]
Most forged are 7075 T6. Billet ones I have seen are only 6061T6. Cast I have seen are 356 T6.
There are what I consider big differences in the properties/strengths of these. Some use the logic that it does not have to be equal to 7075 T6 to function ok. I have always figured why buy what I think is a weaker material lower when stronger ones are available. Funny thing is the billet one often cost more money that the forged ones. The only billet one I know of made from a billet with similar properties as 7075T6 is the newer Diamond series lower by SOCOM. I was told they are made from Fortal aluminum and I believe the serial numbers starts with a 1xxx. Here is a link to a site that shows the differences in the materials.
www.matweb.com/search/SearchSubcat.asp
Top Top