Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 9:30:20 AM EDT
I know there is a long thread on this, but I wanted specific info on this and decided to start a new Thread.  Will either buffer make a noticable differance  in recoil in a Semi AR? I was talking to an AR armor, and he said that it wouldn't make that much differance in semi. He told me not to waste my money, especially if it's going into a semi. What are the benifits for having one in a semi, if recoil isn't reduced, does it do anything else? Which is better for the semi rifle, the MGI or the Enidine? I am interested in them, but for only a marginal decrease of  felt recoil, I'm not sure it's worth the money and extra weight. Does anyone know, or care to comment? Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:47:45 AM EDT
[#1]
imo it makes a world of difference if you are shooting standing up, bench you probably wont notice the difference.

when standing the recoil is like shooting a .22lr rifle, i use the mgi btw.

also have one in my .50beowulf which makes it shoot really pleasant.

your question has been answered quite a few times in the "mgi or enidine" thread.

Enidine Hydraulic buffer or MGI Rate reducing buffer
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've never found an AR to really have recoil...not much of one anyway, you'll probably agree? Having said that, I'm not sure why anyone would buy one just for the "recoil" aspects of an AR. Some of what I've read previously surrounds using the Enidine (et al) buffer to get rid of the "sproing" sound of the original spring/buffer assy., and giving the impression of a smoother motion to the B/C in recoil. Some find the spring sound annoying, personally I may not especially like it but it is helpful when the "sproing" sound changes to let me know (without counting shots) that my mag is empty.

Bottom line, will Iget one? I dunno. I think it sounds like it might be something decent maybe in my SPR clone when I'm out shooting 'chucks this summer. For me, the jury's still out until I gather more info. Kinda pricey...

Then again, like most things, it's all hype and the usual crap in the end just to sell something. I used to fly R/C helicopters in competition, and you have no idea the wasted money I spent on all the new kick ass whizbang accessories to fly straighter, more precise, and better than my opponents. That is, until I went to the nationals one year and got my ass waxed by some dude who showed up with a box-stock off the shelf POS without any whizbang accessories. Yup, he just knew how to fly! Spent all his money on stick time and cases of fuel. Smoked everyone in my class.

There's a lesson in there somewhere...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:58:06 AM EDT
[#3]
YES

rate reducing buffers or devices are the next big thing in AR development. Makes quick shots much easier. Though the AR has relatively low recoil, the speed at which you can fire off shots does allow for the recoil to affect ones ability to keep the rifle on sight imho.

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#4]
not sure about the endine but the mgi helps greatly with muzzle rise and keeps you on target for rapid followup shots.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
again, everything is being repeated from the link above.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes it works - with an MGI and a Fat Boy Gas Tube, my 6 year old daughter can shoot without being knocked around.

5Shot
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]
When I first got my MGI buffer I was a little dissapointed.  It didn't seem like it made much of a difference.  I then picked up and shot a regular carbine with H buffer and could immediately see the difference.  I wouldn't exactly say the MGI Buffer makes my carbine feel like a .22lr, but it I'd describe it as only 2 or 3 notches above that.  I just recently ordered a new MGI buffer for a new build I'm working on.  Unless something better comes along, I plan on buying them for all ARs I build in the future.  As of now only 1 of my ARs is without an MGI buffer, something that will likely be corrected in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I put one, along with a 2x MGI spring in my 20" AR with A2 stock. With the extra weight and spring tension the recoil is already reduced. Then the mechnical buffer plays it's part without the shrap "thump" of the buffer hitting the end of the tube.

Let's just say even from sitting bipod (at range on benchrest stand) at 300 yards, a 16x scope will not move more than about 4-5" off target.

I've been wanting to put one in my Bushmaster M4, bust as it's new it won't cycle reliably with .223 loaded ammo under cold temperatures (below 40 degrees). Just too much weight and not enough gas.

I would say that my buddy borrowed one of my MGI buffers for his 9mm carbine and ACE stubby stock. While the recoil wasn't much to begin with, with the buffer the thing really DID shoot like a .22LR. Amazing difference.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
My MGI wasnt purchased to reduce recoil, but to reduce ROF in my M16..Which it does do as advertised.. I hardly ever shoot semi with it, but when I have there is a noticeable difference in felt recoil.. In FA follow up shots dont matter..( To me anyway) FWIW I can put a 30rd. mag in a std. size sillouette with much less effort than before  the MGI was installed.

It was  a worthwhile investment... For FA.. Which doesnt really answer your question, but if you know someone that has one give it a try..
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top