Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 6:54:23 AM EDT
Sorry for a stupid newb question but, is it possible to convert from .223 to 7.62X39 by simply swapping out the barrel and bolt assemblies or would I need an entire upper assembly?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Barrel & Bolt are only thing that needs changing ... you have it correct ....
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:02:45 AM EDT
[#2]
The barrel and bolt are all you need, but I'd still recommend building a complete seperate upper so you can switch between them. Unless, of course, this isn't your only AR.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I just went ahead and put together an entire 7.62 AR ...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=263472
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just went ahead and put together an entire 7.62 AR ...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=263472

Nice!!  I have an original R6830, but I need to get some more good mags for it. Lot's of fun putting that upper on my M16 lower!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks fellas, I already have an A4 20" (target) upper to swap with my A2-CAR15 (pig hunting) upper. I was thinking of convering the CAR to use the heavier ammo since I've been quite dissapointed in the terminal balistics on thick skinned game like Feral pigs.

But you are right, it makes sense to just have the second weapon, now if only I can convince the wife that I need an entire second weapon when they look the same to her. If I can sell the SKS that part will be easy
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top