Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/22/2006 6:43:21 AM EDT
Sorry for the noob post fellas. Im going to the gun show today to purchase my first ak and ar. I am pretty much set on Colt. Which model would be the best for "entry" level purchase?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:48:20 AM EDT
Any one of them that's disguised to look like a Bushmaster or a Rock River.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:52:33 AM EDT
It depends on your budget and the quality of the show. We never have Colts around here
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:53:02 AM EDT
My first recommendation dont purchase them at a gun show until you research your prices.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:54:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 7:00:54 AM EDT by forgiver]

Originally Posted By jmart:

Yeah, seriously, Jmart is correct. My RRA TASC is unbelievably nice. I re-zeroed it with XM193 yesterday, and my total adjustment was UP 1. I have not handled a Colt since being in the military, but this RRA is much higher quality than any Colt I ever handled or fired.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:33:52 AM EDT
I'm curious--why would you want to buy a Colt? I've been researching ARs for a couple of year now (I'm finally getting ready to buy one next month), and I've read nothing that convinces me that Colts are worth the extra money over a quality gun like a Bushmaster or RRA. What prompted you to select a Colt?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:50:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lobotomyboy:
I'm curious--why would you want to buy a Colt? I've been researching ARs for a couple of year now (I'm finally getting ready to buy one next month), and I've read nothing that convinces me that Colts are worth the extra money over a quality gun like a Bushmaster or RRA. What prompted you to select a Colt?

Colt makes an excellent gun, and their quality control process is much more thurough than that of the off brands. If you don't care that they take extra steps to make sure their gun won't fail when you need it, go bushy. It is this extra attention to detail (and brand name) that makes colt about 200 dollars above the others. I'm not saying that the others aren't also very good, but colt's extra quality control measures help to keep the number of "Lemmons" to a bare minimum.

The quality control measures that people pay the colt price for are,
A Proof load tested and magnetic particle inspected barrel
B Magnetic particle inspected bolt

If the following don't matter to you, get a bushy. If they do, get a colt. Simple as that. We don't need the colt cult and the anti-colts fighting to the death AGAIN...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:51:09 AM EDT
Bushmaster 16" M4
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:55:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 7:56:42 AM EDT by Cato]
Depends, but if you want a 16" barrel model that would be Colt MT6400C and 6920.

Pat Rogers, who sees more rounds go downrange in a week than most of us
shoot in half a lifetime, recommends Colt. Enough said...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:05:47 AM EDT
I agree with the comments above regarding buying an RRA or Bushy over Colt...Its your money get what you want, I will add very rarely are good deals found at gun shows...We have vendors here in the EE that I'm sure could beat any gun show price on what ever you choose to go with, plus the vendors in EE support our site !!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:17:43 AM EDT
As stated, your chances of getting butt-raped by going to a gun show to buy a Colt are very high. Research and buy from a reputable source.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:45:37 AM EDT
It depends what you want to do with it. If you want to go out and drive tacks and impress your friends with your shooting go with the comp or match hb flat top with a fixed stock. If you want to look cool its definitly the 6920 or 6721 tactial carbine depending on which one you think looks better but the hb will be more accurate. Also if the gun has a collapsable stock you will have a minor loss of accuracy. All in all if you want a parts gun they are out there by various manufactures and they look the same but if when you pull the trigger you want to make sure everything goes as its suppose to get the colt. I cant pull the 6701 away from the wife at the range because she keeps putting them in the same hole. I doubt you will find either of those colts at a gun show resonably priced and will have to search or order what you want because in the end its what your happy with.
colts only
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:58:35 AM EDT
As far as gun shows go, colts are usually priced so high you wonder if the dealers are using drugs... I remember seeing an old beat up colt, it was marked SP2, and had the slab side lower, A1 sights, A2 handguards, and a 1/7 HBAR barrel, and it was at 1400. I looked at the guy funny, and he said, yep, great deal, it's ALL COLT! At another part of the show as an old beat up colt M16A1 barrel that was priced at 350. I looked at the guy like he was crazy, and he said, yep, it's a Colt! (like he was doing me a favor). I can get a brand new barrel of my choosing for 400 at SAW, and SAW is the the most expensive of the good colt dealers.

In other words, most dealers will try to rip you off by charging 500 dollars more than they should "becuase its a COLT" Research prices on this site and others so you don't fall victim to these fools...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:04:48 AM EDT
Buy one of each, don't let others make decisions for you.

Colts are over rated. I have one, and it doesn't wash the car or do dishes. Your best bet at a gunshow is to find a person walking around with a black rifle on his shoulder for sale, but you really need to know what you are buying.

..........and post pictures, or this thread is worthless.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:09:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 9:54:45 AM EDT by FMJ]
#1 BUSHMASTER

#1 COLT 6921 14.5

#2 ROCK RIVER

#2 LMT,CMT,STAG
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:13:26 AM EDT
If it must be a Colt....get the 6920. But make sure it has the M16 carrier. Look over the finish real good as Colt has been putting out some ugly guns lately (if that matters to you?)
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:15:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mongo001:
As stated, your chances of getting butt-raped by going to a gun show to buy a Colt are very high. Research and buy from a reputable source.

+1
Don't buy at a gunshow, you will get raped.
Take your time, research your purchase.
Research twice, buy once.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:18:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mongo001:

I would feel awful if one of members got butt-raped at a fun show
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:30:16 AM EDT
A Colt is a Colt is a Colt, Over priced or not it's just the way it is. You never really know what something cost you until you're through with it. IMHO Colts hold their value better than anything else out there. If you do your part, they will do theirs. Try to find a private party at a gun show selling a quality AR and negotiate fairly and you will not get hurt. I bought a Sporter Target that way in excellent condition privately at the Fort Lauderdale show for $650.00 and it included exras. I feel it was a fair price for a quality piece.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:44:52 AM EDT
I can buy 6920s right around 1200-1250 at my local store, the last show had them priced at $2295. I don't know if they sold one because I kept laughing everytime I walked by the vendor and I had a hard time seeing. Buy off the board, it'll be well worth your while. [9mm Colt ARs were $2495.00 at the show]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:10:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/22/2006 10:10:31 AM EDT by Wetterman]

Originally Posted By regalgseguy:
If it must be a Colt....get the 6920. But make sure it has the M16 carrier. Look over the finish real good as Colt has been putting out some ugly guns lately (if that matters to you?)

Why?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:26:52 AM EDT
It is easier to tell you what Colt "features" you DON'T want...

You don't want the large hammer and trigger pins. Look at any other make, and look at some Colts, you will see some have "large pin" for hammer/trigger. You want to be able to use standard parts.

You don't want a Colt that has screws on the pivot pin, instead of the standard pushout pin like on all other AR type rifles. The offset screw arrangement makes it difficult to use any other upper. Part of what you buy an AR type rifle is that you can mix and match uppers/lowers.

You don't want a Colt that has the steel "sear block" in the rear of the lower. This makes it difficult to use some aftermarket triggers.

If you can't find a Colt without these "features", then buy Bushmaster, RRA, Armalite, or one of the other good manufacturers AR type rifles.

Somebody post a picture of the cutaway "half circle" Colt bolt carriers, and a standard AR-15 bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:28:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By houstonHK:
Sorry for the noob post fellas. Im going to the gun show today to purchase my first ak and ar. I am pretty much set on Colt. Which model would be the best for "entry" level purchase?

Colt? Anything that begins with "M-"

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:02:39 AM EDT
I'd recommend the Colt models:

LE 6920 - no more than 1,200 and anything less is a bargain
LE 6721- $100 less than the above
LE 6520 (9mm) - same as the 6721

or if not the Colt

LMT (Complete) no more than $1,100

Bushmaster: Patrolmans Carbine- no more than $950 (A3 model)

all dollars are referencing new, in the box rifles

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:13:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lobotomyboy:

Honestly, without sounding confrontational, what type research have you done that has overlooked the measureable differences in the Colt vs Bushmaster v RRA?

I may understand - but respectfully disagree - with a statement such as:

"I have researched the Colt, Bushmaster, and RRA comparisons, and personally do not feel that the Colt AR15......:

.mil spec buffer
parked under FSB
F marked (correct height) FSB
M4 feed ramps
MP tested bolts
MP tested barrels
1/7 ROT barrels
M4 dual heat shield handguards
side sling adapter std
Lifetime Warranty
Company w/170 year history
Resale values
etc
etc
etc

aren't worth the extra 50-$150 to me."
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:40:35 AM EDT
If I were getting a new ar I and money (within reason) was no object I would still probably get a bushy. Although my DPMS has been a fine rifle after 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:57:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jmart:

+1
These models usually say "BUSHMASTER" or "ROCK RIVERS ARMS"
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:04:09 PM EDT
As a first buy I would not go with a Colt. You pay thru the nose for the prancing pony that has so many non-mil spec features to it.

Go with a RRA or Stag and buy more mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:15:25 PM EDT
Go to the gunshow and enjoy yourself. Get a good look at some different varieties. Unless you find a killer deal, which is unlikely, you are better off buying one from the EE or a good local dealer. I bought a Bushmaster for my first Ar and a Colt for my second. Both have been 100% reliable with any ammo. I don't think you could go wrong with either. If money isn't an object, I'd go with a Colt 6920.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:09:49 PM EDT
Go to the EE and buy a low mileage complete upper then for $240 buy a RRA or Mega lower complete from one of the many great vendors here on this site and you'll be much better off.
I just put together a Mega lower complete with Vltor stock and tango down grip with a bushmaster flat top upper cmmg bbl with 1/7 twist with troy FF rail for a grand total of $850 that is 98% new.
BTW even though I just caught the AR bug again lately over the last few years I have owned several ARs and the colts are nice but just not worth the extra money IMO. If you don't want to build or mess around with different parts RRA or Stag are great along with several others out there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:22:03 PM EDT
I find it amusing that someone would go to a gunshow and expect to find Colts laying around in sufficient numbers to have a choice, rather than grabbing the one that is available.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:31:05 PM EDT
The best "Gun Show" I have ever been too!

Click Here
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:33:57 PM EDT
When I went to some gun shows in San Antonio a couple months ago they had Colt 6920s, 6721s, and 6520s. The 6920s were right about $1200 - I remember because Larry Knesek was selling them for $1100 that week and I thought $1200 would be pretty good considering the extra charges for shipping and FFL transfers.

Most of the San Antonio shows I went to had a few Colts, a large number of Olympic and DPMS and just a handful of RRAs and Bushmasters...

Spooky
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:51:04 PM EDT
We have some pretty lame a$$ shows around here and there are usually a few colts on tables and a few floating around private treaty (used but very nice). I don't think there is much difference between a colt and others but it sure does sound nice when someone asks "what ya shootin" and you say "a colt". To me that's worth a little although the colts usually stay nice, warm and dry in the safe while the bushy, dpms and armalite are out getting the work.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:05:59 PM EDT
In my area wer get Colts still in the box from way back when. Lots of Bushmasters, choice of black or green furniture, carbine or rifle. A few Armalites, seldom any Olys.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:25:17 AM EDT
So, did you get anything?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:12:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By houstonHK:
.... I am pretty much set on Colt. Which model would be the best for "entry" level purchase?

Colt 6920.

Good for everything except DCM/NRA High Power competition.
Top Top