Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:53:59 PM EDT
Hey all,  a while back I saw a pic of an M-16 with a shotgun mounted underneath like an M-203. I don't remember where I saw the pic, whether it was in a magazine or on the net, but I was curious if anyone happened to know any info on such a critter, or if it was just something whack from a video game. Thanks for any info.

crossDAWGhug.gif

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK, KAC makes a modified version of their M203 mount that takes a grip-less, short-barrel Remington 870 (I think) and attaches it to an M4-profile barrel. They call it a "Masterkey," as it makes sense for a breaching solution. I think this is the most prevalant mounting system (seeing as how I've actually heard of it), though I'm sure there are many others.

That's about all I know. This system does exist; it's just hard to seperate the video game/airsoft photos from the real photos. Here is the ImpactGuns photo:

I don't see why you can't build one, though the shotty will have to be a short barreled shotgun, and I guess if you see the thing as an entire weapon system, it would be an SBR as well. I find the thing a bit impractical, and imagine the weight your adding to the front of your carbine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:41:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Slu54, Thanks a ton for the pic and info. You're awesome!

crossDAWG
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Now if only someone made a shotgun-mounted AR.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Only one I have ever seen was in a comic book.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Defense Review did a review on it as a variant available from Remington for Law enforcement.

http://www.defensereview.com/article686.html

http://www.defensereview.com/article686.html
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

serval2.free.fr/image/combat/Punisher%20vs%20Wolverine%20MZ.jpg

have you ever seen the film Predator?

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

serval2.free.fr/image/combat/Punisher%20vs%20Wolverine%20MZ.jpg

Thats where it should stay.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:15:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Something like that could add a whole nuther level of gameing  a multi-gun 3-gun stage.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I can't believe I forgot Predator! I guess the first thing I thought of was the Punisher comic when i was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#11]
It may look cool, but there is no way in hell I'd want that mounted on my weapon.

Now, a SERBU?  Oh yeah, BABY!

Here's the link.  It won't let me post the pic directly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Gay. Gay. Gay. This is extremely unpractical and exists only because of a perceived notion and is sold only for air-soft types in uniform. If you are an operator and use a Masterkey, Im not knocking you. You probably know what works for you..... My experience with underbarrel weapons has been disapointing. I hate M203's and I hate under barrel shotguns even more. I acknowledge the need for a grenade launcher though, it just interferes with being a "rifleman" in my opinion. I would much rather trust the 203 work to a designated grenadier than have me be lousy with a grenade and lousy with my rifle because it has a 203 slung under it. Underbarrel shotguns are nearly impossible to aim with...granted you aren't enaging people at 40 meters with such a

weapon, but if it has such limited use, whats the advantage of hanging on your weapon. IMO, a much better solution is to use a pistol gripped 14 or even 18.5 inch shotgun, especially with a folding stock. This will be compact enough to accomplish breaching tasks and will be usefull as a defensive weapon. Having a shotgun while clearing a house isn't only useful but its a huge advantage, especially if you are issued a 20 inch weapon. Shotguns rule CQB, provided you are opposing un-armored suspects....like third world Arabs. Remingtons new MCS is an excellent idea.

You can configure it however your mission dictates, which gives a great deal of flexibility. Added weight, limited utility and improbable hits....even against a door, make guns like the Masterkey a poor second choice to a seperate breaching weapon. The XM26 is a waste of development dollars
and effort. I can't think of one advantage something like this would offer over a Remington 18.5 Pmag with a top folding stock. Just about every operator I have ever worked with shared my sentiment....Whats next, hanging MRE's and extra chonies off your weapon?!?! please. just my .02
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#13]
ever see the XM-26?

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input. Me and my buds here in Iraq was just gabbing about different weapon systems and they didn't believe me about a setup like that. Thanks for the pics and such.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:36:47 AM EDT
[#16]

In October 2003 Dismounted Battlespace Battle Lab’s lightweight shotgun system underwent operational inspection and test firing for 200 shotguns to be fielded to the 10th Mountain Division for future use in Afghanistan. The original system was a prototype for proof of concept. The one being fielded applied lessons-learned from the first iterations of testing to make the weapons more reliable in the field. The testing identified a couple of areas for minor changes. In the future, the designer can make these changes in manufacturing to make it an overall better shotgun. The minor adjustments included polishing some of the parts to reduce friction. When the testing is finished, about 15,000 rounds were fired through the 200 systems going to the field.

The 18th Airborne Corps, deployed in Afghanistan, was the first unit receiving the Army's new Lightweight Shotgun System [LSS]. A team from PM Soldier Weapons and the U.S. Army Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, part of the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, fielded the system. A total of 199 of the new shotguns were deployed to Afghanistan for use by the elite 10th Mountain Division unit in response to an urgent operational need. The 10th Mountain fielded the lightest variation of the 12-gauge shotgun system, which attaches under the M-4 carbine and weighs 2 pounds, 11 ounces — less than the M-203 grenade launcher.Cost for the system is yet to be determined, because it is dependent on production quantities.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m26.htm
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top