Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 11:37:10 AM EDT
Went to the range to do some paper punching. I had shot about 40rnds of WWB, then the second round of a full 20 round mag fired with a strange sound. Te result was the following:

The crack is like a reverse L. The rest of the rounds in the mag had the burn marks as a result. Nothing was damaged. After a very close inspection, the rest of the mag worked perfectly.

Anyone think it is worth notifying Winchester about?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#1]
You're lucky there was no damage to you or the rifle.  

I'm staying clear of that stuff.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
now that is a new one I have not seen before..
glad to hear there was no damage to you or the rifle.

I would notify them about this. heck, you might get another box of ammo out of them...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
An ammo problem can happen with any type, brand, or caliber...Let em know... It might get you a freebie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Let them know so they can evaluate if there is a problem.  The next person it happens to may be injured.    
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, everyone stay away from the bulk winchester, as a matter of fact you better send it to me and i'll dispose of it proper likehough,
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#6]
It appears that the cartridge was not properly annealed if at all.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I will let them know. I have never had a problem with this ammo before.

I will mail them on Monday and see what they have to say, and post any info.

Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
caliar15... I have used a bunch of it too with 0 problems. I have 4 more boxes with this lot number, I am a little wired about loading them up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen similar damage with Remington Golden Bullet .22's in a bolt action.  Best explanation I was given was that the ammo wasn't as consistent as it should have been (there was a definite variation in the sound from one shot to the next, before the rupture), and the rifle had a chamber that was a little tighter than it should have been.  The rifle worked just fine with Winchester and CCI, and the rest of the box of Golden Bullets fired without a case rupture (that I know of) in semi-auto .22's.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Let them know so they can evaluate if there is a problem.  The next person it happens to may be injured.    

+1

Avoiding Winchester ammo because this happened to 1/1 bazillion of their production is nonsense.  If one were to follow that train of thought, one would never shoot a firearm again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I Believe the same thing happend to Beer-Slayer with his Keltec
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=420968&page=9
Except there was no gun left.

IT was caused by a lot of WWB marked WWC03
The case ruptured in battery dsytroying the gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Me and my buddy just shot off 650rds or so today. Every one went boom just like the 1000's I've used in the past. Every ammo can occasionally have a problem. Nothing is perfect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I would let them know about it, and tell them the lot #.  Not for the possibility of getting free ammo, but to let them know of possible future problems.  If everyone who has this problem lets them know, they should be able to fix it.  They should be able to tell if it's a one-off freak accident or if there is a pattern.  All it would cost you is a few minutes of your time (less than it probably took to post the original message).

That said, I see no reason to stop using the ammo.  Every brand of ammo has problems at least as bad as this (many much worse) on rare occasions.  In my very limited experience, the reputable ammo companies bend over backward to fix problems, and very much appreciate it when you let them know about a problem in a reasonable manner.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes notify them and also let them know what the LOT number  from that box is. If they get reports from other folks with similar reports from the same lot, it will help narrow down the problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the same lot # of ammo I will call them on Monday and see if any body else has had the same problem. I haven't used any of it yet. But I agree with most people nothing is perfect. I will yet you know on what they say later. hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought that lot number looked familiar. I just bought six boxes of the same stuff, with the same lot #. I fired one box of it the other day and had no problems at all. I'll be curious to see if it was a fluke, or if it shows up anywhere else.
Don
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Went to the range to do some paper punching. I had shot about 40rnds of WWB, then the second round of a full 20 round mag fired with a strange sound. Te result was the following:

i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/wile_coyote/7e209d19.jpg

i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/wile_coyote/30c4d2aa.jpg

The crack is like a reverse L. The rest of the rounds in the mag had the burn marks as a result. Nothing was damaged. After a very close inspection, the rest of the mag worked perfectly.

Anyone think it is worth notifying Winchester about?

DeJavu! I had the exact same thing happen at the range on Tues. while shooting ADCOM Lot #AML04M010-007. I had to manually extract the casing w/ a cleaning rod while pulling back on the charging handle. It was only the 7th round and I had 10 more mags loaded with the stuff and 700 more rounds still in the ammo can! Needless to say I was a little concerned. After A close inspection of the weapon, I reluctantly continued and fortunatley had no more problems. I think I will also report this to ADCOM and post it in the Ammo thread. Unfortunatley my shooting partner threw out the round while cleaning up, so no photos

Choppa
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Well, called Winchester and left a message describing the problem I encountered. Thier message said they weould call back within 1 business day. It has now been 1 week with no return call.

Anyone else with this type of problem have a better way to contact them? I dont know if just sending the cartridge directly to them is the best thing to do, but maybe it is.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#19]
DON'T send them the case, then you have no proof. Send them an email if you can find an address, mention the "L" word kinda casual like. Try the same thing on the phone when you leave another message. Even if it's just something that's gonna happen due to all that ammo they produce, they still owe you a phone call or letter or something that says they give a s**t.

For what it's worth I have put above 300 rounds of that lot number through my AR without a problem- so far. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:27:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I once had a problem with a round of CCI .357 Magnum Blazer.  I purchased the ammo so I wouldn't have to pick up my cases out of the snow in Germany.  The first round out of the magazine there was a report and debris back in my face.  Good thing I was wearing shooting glasses.  Found the case after it ejected out of my Coonan pistol and noticed that the case was ruptured above the case head.  Disassembling the pistol the chamber was cut (from gases) at the 9:00 position.  Sent the case to CCI and they stated they would pay for the damages.  They paid for the ammo and a whole new upper slide, barrel and bushing for my Coonan.  I can say that they stood behind their product and took responsiblity.   I would send another message to Winchester.

CD
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I've seen similar damage with Remington Golden Bullet .22's in a bolt action.  Best explanation I was given was that the ammo wasn't as consistent as it should have been (there was a definite variation in the sound from one shot to the next, before the rupture), and the rifle had a chamber that was a little tighter than it should have been.  The rifle worked just fine with Winchester and CCI, and the rest of the box of Golden Bullets fired without a case rupture (that I know of) in semi-auto .22's.

I had the same problem a few years back with some of this ammo.  I fired a round through a semi auto pistol, and heard an "off" report.  I unloaded and checked the pistol which had a bullet lodged 1/2 way up the bore.  The case was blown out on two sides just above the rim.  I contacted Remington and they sent me a check for $20, enough to replace TWO boxes of ammo!  No problems since, and I've fired thousands of rounds through my 10/22 and Phoenix Arms .22

--VT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I had the same problem a few years back with some of this ammo.  I fired a round through a semi auto pistol, and heard an "off" report.  I unloaded and checked the pistol which had a bullet lodged 1/2 way up the bore.  The case was blown out on two sides just above the rim.  I contacted Remington and they sent me a check for $20, enough to replace TWO boxes of ammo!  No problems since, and I've fired thousands of rounds through my 10/22 and Phoenix Arms .22

--VT

Remington's reply to me was to ask me to send them the rest of the box for their inspection.  If they found the ammo to be defective, they would reimburse me for the box.  If not, I would be out most of a box of ammo (plus the cost of shipping it back to them).  The rest of the box was used in semi-autos, and it continued to vary from shot to shot (in sound level and in where it hit the paper).

I still buy some centerfire ammo from Remington (tapering off as I build up a supply of brass), but that was the last box of rimfire I'll buy from them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top