Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 8:40:58 AM EDT
I am newbie who wants a carbine instead of my rifle. I’m trying to decide if I should have my pre-ban Colt 20” 1/7 govt. profile barrel cut down or send my upper in for a barrel replacement. Is my original barrel desirable for a retro build? I don’t want to cut it if someone else could use it.  Thanks in advance for all replies.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:49:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't cut it.  Get a new barrel, or better yet, get a new upper!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:59:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I would buy another upper if it was me.  If you cut your 20" to 16" you'll get a Disapator, not a carbine style 16" tube.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:56:20 AM EDT
[#3]
i'd save the colt 20 inch 1:7 barrel for a later build.  DON'T CUT IT!  Once you cut it you can't "un-cut" it if you change your mind later.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:03:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep your 20 inch and buy another upper with the barrel lt that you want, you may run across another lower on of these days, then you'll have two AR-15's food for thought
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I would buy a new barrel and change it yourself or get a new upper.  The more the better!  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I concur on all of the above.  Get a new barrel in the configuration that you want and save the old barrel.  THEN build a new upper for the 20'.....THEN a new lower.....see where this can go?

Have fun, look forward to seeing the pics when finished.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
i would cut it!

1x7 dissy w/ rifle length gas system!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i would cut it!

as much i like mine in this configuration I'd recommend purchasing two upper receivers.  

One for the carbine length gas system and another for a rifle.

then again, I do REALLY like my chopped dissy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]
sell the barrel and get what ever assembly you want...its worth more the way it is or if its HBAR turn it down to Govt profile and get another AR the way you want it...1 AR is never enough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't cut it.  Get a new barrel, or better yet, get a new upper!

New UPPER is the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
i would cut it!

not a good idea... 16" baarels with rifle length gas systems are not reliable without opening the gas port, and even then they are not 100% -- best system for a 16" is the midlength... why compromise.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#12]
That shall be up too you.....  Also depends on your financial aspect....
Mine is a Colt 16A1 upper...    But didn't really like how far the barrel extended beyond the front sight.......
I didn't want to go get a new barrel or complete upper also....   so I had ADCO cut mine down about 3 inches...    
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!! .......   Runs like a dream and I would NEVER want to go back too the original 20" length again......

It's all about YOUR tastes.......   So ENJOY IT......  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top