Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:07:56 PM EDT
my M4gery ejects at 2:00 most of the time .... but once in a while it does the 4:00 thing.
I like the 2:00 ejection... any way to make it that way consistantly?
And does anyone know the reason it does one or the other?
Jim
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I miss tweak...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#2]
All of my AR's do this same thing, 90% of the brass is at 2:00, the rest at 4:00. I have no idea why but it has never bothered me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Extractor loses grip of the spent case too early and it fails to hit the brass deflector...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought this was going to be a thread about nocturnal emmisions, and was going to suggest the general forum.

Reliably at 4:00 for me, though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought it was about military aviation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#6]
All mine throw at 2 O'clock consistantly.  Try using an o-ring under your extracter see if that has an effect one way or the other.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:27:40 PM EDT
[#7]
A friend of mine built his own AR and it ejects at 2:00 with LC, but Wolf it kick them out at 4:00? Maybe it has to do with the higher pressure ammo?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm... I always seem to find the brass at 5 o'clock, approx 6-8 feet away and fairly even with where I am standing.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hmm... I always seem to find the brass at 5 o'clock, approx 6-8 feet away and fairly even with where I am standing.

- rem

+1

The only time brass went to 2 o'clock was when I trimmed a couple of coils off the ejector spring.  It tossed my brass in front of the firing line, making me wait until brass call, so a new, std length spring went back on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- rem

+1

The only time brass went to 2 o'clock was when I trimmed a couple of coils off the ejector spring.  It tossed my brass in front of the firing line, making me wait until brass call, so a new, std length spring went back on.

I had a salty Marine ask my where my brass went right before the first match.  I pointed at the ground just across the line at my 2 o'clock and he said "good, then we won't have any problems."  I don't mind waiting a wee bit until brass call.  I don't need my ass kicked by a retiree.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I miss tweak...

what happened to tweak
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I miss tweak...

what happened to tweak

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I miss tweak...

what happened to tweak

The story is in the Washingon Forum, go there if you are interested.  I'll miss him terribly.

But getting back to the ejection.  If you're ejecting at 2:00 you are getting a bit of overfunction.  Brass should be landing between 4:00 & 5:00.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had brass eject in different directions depending on the type of ammo and what gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Once again, Armalite's Tech Notes to the rescue.

Read all about it here:

www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote34.htm

Though this is written about the AR-10, it applies equally to the AR-15.

Hats off to Mark Westrom for publishing these.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the replys.....  I want to try some wolf somtime just to see how it functions, since its a lower velosity ammo maybe it will eject back more in my rifle.
jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:54:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- rem

+1

I had a salty Marine ask my where my brass went right before the first match.  I pointed at the ground just across the line at my 2 o'clock and he said "good, then we won't have any problems."  I don't mind waiting a wee bit until brass call.  I don't need my ass kicked by a retiree.

Well, the guy's a prick then.

Everyone knows ARs spit their brass to 4 - 5 o'clock.  That's why everyone wears long pants.

I like being able to pick up my brass when I'm done shooting.  I shoot pretty fast in slow fire, and with my brass going to 4 o'clock, I can pick it back up after I'm done in offhand without bothering anyone.  When I shoot slow prone, I set my stool up as a case deflector and open the front flap, so that virtually all the cases end up in it.  The few that bounce out fall right by my right elbow.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#18]
The standard HP mod to make your brass land at 2 is to trim your ejector spring.  Depending on the spring, I'll trim between 1.5 and five coils.

SRM
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top