Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:25 AM EDT
This is my first post so bear with me.

Well, I bought my first AR-15 last Saturday and got an inexpensive Olympic Arms K3B AR just for shooting at the range and on some land we have.  MSRP is $780 but I got it for $670, 2 30 round mags, sling and hard case.  Here's a low res pic of it:

img32.imageshack.us/img32/4099/newtoypic1140580perclowres2jy.jpg

I took it out and fired off about 340 rounds at the range.  The sights were so far off that the rear windage sight is almost all the way to the right to be close to zeroed.  That's disappointing enough.  But then when I got back home and cleaned it the cam pin had a slight metal ridge worn around where it fits into the bolt carrier.  

Now... When I was in the Army the M-16s we had never had any wear like that that I can remember.  And those weapons were fired thousands of times... not just 340 like my new one was.  Is that wear normal or should I be concerned about it?  I'll see if I can post a pic of the pin later tonight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Lest I be a smart ass, typically, you get what you pay for.  And, no, what you are experiencing should not be happening.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Just remember with wise shopping you can build a better AR for less money.   Olympic is not considered a top tier maker.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I knew it was an Olympic before opening the thread.  I had three do the same thing.  Had to send all three back to Olympic to be fixed.  To their credit, they did fix the problem.

Get it fixed before your cam pin breaks.  Yes, this can happen.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I knew it was an Olympic before opening the thread.  I had three do the same thing.  Had to send all three back to Olympic to be fixed.  To their credit, they did fix the problem.

Get it fixed before your cam pin breaks.  Yes, this can happen.

+1 and it is good to hear they will take care of you.  Shoot safe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an enhanced CMT BCG in my build (MP checked bolt) with only 250 rds. of Q3131 through it and I too have some wear / very minor ridge on the cam pin as well. Anyone care to elaborate on what is normal and what is not? Pics?

I know the rifle can 'splode if this pin fails so it's of concern. I have two of these CMT pins and they both appear to be made of magnet material (ferrite???). I don't believe they are, but they do have that appearance for some reason. When they were new, I wiped them down with some G96 and a lot of dark funk came off on the rag, but they still appear the same. Weird.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ll try later to get a pic up of my oldest Cam Pin. It has a definite wear pattern on it and I think with time this is unavoidable. This is where proper routine maintenance comes into play. I don’t know how many times I’ve seen members criticized for over cleaning their rifles or told that they don’t need to maintain their rifle like the Army taught them.

There is a reason to the military’s  madness and proper cleaning along with a detailed inspection of each part will hopefully catch a problem before it happens. How many times have you seen thread topics like “Do you disassemble your bolt and carrier for cleaning?”

Proper cleaning, inspection and lubrication, all key elements to shooting and enjoying your new AR.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is my first post so bear with me.

Well, I bought my first AR-15 last Saturday and got an inexpensive Olympic Arms K3B AR just for shooting at the range and on some land we have.  MSRP is $780 but I got it for $670, 2 30 round mags, sling and hard case.  Here's a low res pic of it:

img32.imageshack.us/img32/4099/newtoypic1140580perclowres2jy.jpg

I took it out and fired off about 340 rounds at the range.  The sights were so far off that the rear windage sight is almost all the way to the right to be close to zeroed.  That's disappointing enough.  But then when I got back home and cleaned it the cam pin had a slight metal ridge worn around where it fits into the bolt carrier.  

Now... When I was in the Army the M-16s we had never had any wear like that that I can remember.  And those weapons were fired thousands of times... not just 340 like my new one was.  Is that wear normal or should I be concerned about it?  I'll see if I can post a pic of the pin later tonight.

1 out of my 5 AR15's is an Olympic and I love it to death. It was my first. If you have any issue they will fix it and keep on fixing it until forever. Good company. I like them and will give them my business again
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just remember with wise shopping you can build a better AR for less money.   Olympic is not considered a top tier maker.  

Well put.  And anyone lucky enough to get decent customer service from those losers should also buy a Powerball ticket!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:01:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Start a new Olympic thread if you feel the need...this is about cam pin wear if you didn't read the topic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Post some pics- someone mentioned this might be because of CMT Cam pins being a different material? Good lord I have CMT parts in just about everything.

Please post a pic.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Mycolt cam pin showed some gouges in it in less than 1k rounds. I replaced the carrer and cam pin. no unsuall wear in 2k.

I think the carrier is to blame for cam pin wear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

And anyone lucky enough to get decent customer service from those losers should also buy a Powerball ticket!

Did the internet tell you that? Or did you come up with thet response on your own?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And anyone lucky enough to get decent customer service from those losers should also buy a Powerball ticket!

Did the internet tell you that? Or did you come up with thet response on your own?

Banzai, a former Oly dealer did!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Start a new Olympic thread if you feel the need...this is about cam pin wear if you didn't read the topic.

Did you happen to read glenn_r's reply, MR. HELPER???

Plus,  I would get "DUPE" and "MASTER OF THE OBVIOUS" slammed if I started and "Oly is junk" thread!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok... here are two pics I just took of the cam pin.  It's hard to see but there's a metal ridge that's formed after only 340 rounds:

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/6488/campin14ym.jpg

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/6133/campin23sj.jpg
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are pics of my cam pin. Manufacture is Oly Arms, as is my bolt carrier. I have no exact idea how many rounds this bolt carrier has seen , but an estimated guess would be 6,000-7,000 rounds. There is definite finish wear as well as displacement of material but I am far from worried about failure. The area where most failures occurs is at the hole for the firing pin, and as you can see this area is perfectly fine.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
The wear does seem premature but most cam pins will look like that after a few thousand rounds.   Buy a couple spares to keep on hand.   It's not a bad idea to have a supply of small parts .
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The wear does seem premature but most cam pins will look like that after a few thousand rounds.   Buy a couple spares to keep on hand.   It's not a bad idea to have a supply of small parts .

Indeed, I just replaced the one on my SP1 after about 10K, looks just like Quib's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#19]
QUIB,;
Those are good pics.  Thanks for posting some comparison pics.  

Mr45Auto;
Yes... it looks like I'll have a couple spare parts ready and will swap them out when the need to be.  Now that I have my 1st AR-15 (entry level or not), I can take my time building one right.

VariableBinary;
That's good to hear Olympic Arms has good customer service.  At least I know they'll work with me on any problems I may have.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]
One of my Colt bolts with about 8k looks about like Quib's pics.  Does anyone know how common cam pin breakages are as a cause of failure?  I don't read much about them failing.  Just curious.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#21]
TT,
    Here are Colt (new above, 2K rounds fired below), Bushmaster (2K), and chrome from SAW (new above & 5K FA out of 10"-14.5" M4 uppers below) cam pins for comparison. Pic shows side of pins showing heavier wear. Personally, I would not be comfortable with your cam pin wear at such an early round-count and would pick up a USGI replacement.
                                                              HTH,
                                                               Carey
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Banzai, a former Oly dealer did!

Well G**Damn... Then it must be true!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#23]
How are the chromed ones?Right now im using chromed extractors and ejectors.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Is it just me or do those Oly pins look cast instead of machined? The surface looks rough, much rougher than a milled or machined pin. They look bad enough that I would replace it quick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this a used rifle?

If so- that may be the reason that there is significant wear with less than 500rds.

If not- I wouldn't worry too much. All of my cam pins have the same wear as in the pics above. So do all the M16s/M4s that I have seen.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Is it just me or do those Oly pins look cast instead of machined? The surface looks rough, much rougher than a milled or machined pin. They look bad enough that I would replace it quick.

If my cam pin was cast it would have failed long before I could have thrown it away!  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Is this a used rifle?

If so- that may be the reason that there is significant wear with less than 500rds.

If not- I wouldn't worry too much. All of my cam pins have the same wear as in the pics above. So do all the M16s/M4s that I have seen.

The Olympic Arms AR-15  was new with only 340 rounds through it last Sunday.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been wondering the same thing, I tossed out a mystery-maker cam pin that came in my first AR because it was getting some really severe wear.  Wear in the parking, that's normal, but really noticable deformation of the cam pin, hell no.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I had a LMT cam pin look much worse than yours with only 300 rds through it.  Looks more like Quibs.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Leitner-Wise enhanced Cam pin.  Enhanced enough to prevent what you speak of.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:13:23 AM EDT
[#31]
My CMT cam pin looks like the one at the top with 340 rds. through it. I'll keep an eye on it and already have a spare. Anyone have pics of the LW enhanced cam pin?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is the wear from the cam pin that came with my Del-Ton supplied bolt/carrier. I’m not sure but I believe it is manufactured by CMT. This rifle has had maybe 400 rounds though it, if that much. There is of course some finish wear but no noticeable displacement of metal like the cam pin from my M4gery. Along side it is my spare Bushmaster Cam Pin.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top