Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 2:21:01 PM EDT
So today I was fortunate enough to shoot my first AR.  I have shot rifles and pistols in the past, but this my first gun.  

It is a RRA Standard A4 with a carry handle and a 20" HBAR.

It ran very smooth when there wasn't a failure to feed.

I have 3 D&H 30 round USGI mags.  About 75% of the time, the bullet would not seat unless I used to Forward Assist.  I tried using only 28 rounds, which helped sometimes, but the problem still exists.  I am almost certain that this is a mag problem and not a rifle problem.  What other brands of mags do you recommend?  Does this sound like a mag issue?

Other than that, it was extremely accurate.  I was able to hit clay pigeons with ease, and I was shooting an 8 inch group standing, shivering (13 degrees and damn windy), rapid fire at 50 yards.

I used a mix of 55g Winchester white box, and Lake City XM855.  All ran fine except for one touch primer on the WWB.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
bump, can anyone help with my mag issue?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
bump, can anyone help with my mag issue?

Just a suggestion.

Post your troubles in the AR-15 troubleshooting forum.

The range report is good here, but problems get more exposure in the correct forum.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So today I was fortunate enough to shoot my first AR.  I have shot rifles and pistols in the past, but this my first gun.  

It is a RRA Standard A4 with a carry handle and a 20" HBAR.

It ran very smooth when there wasn't a failure to feed.

I have 3 D&H 30 round USGI mags.  About 75% of the time, the bullet would not seat unless I used to Forward Assist.  I tried using only 28 rounds, which helped sometimes, but the problem still exists.  I am almost certain that this is a mag problem and not a rifle problem.  What other brands of mags do you recommend?  Does this sound like a mag issue?

Other than that, it was extremely accurate.  I was able to hit clay pigeons with ease, and I was shooting an 8 inch group standing, shivering (13 degrees and damn windy), rapid fire at 50 yards.

I used a mix of 55g Winchester white box, and Lake City XM855.  All ran fine except for one touch primer on the WWB.

I have a RRA Elite CAR A4 and have some cheap balck mags.  I had the same problem with one o these mags.  44mag.com has some excellent USGI mags for around 9-12 dollars.  These are good and good company.  It is probally the mags.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice AR you have, but the problems are almost surely magazine related

simple resolution is to try other mags, if possible

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Take some emery cloth or very fine file and deburr the sharp edges on the inside of the feed lips.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
OK- Welcome
This might be a dumb coment but here goes.
I have found that most guns new out of the box are none to clean. They all seem to have a certain amount of grit and such in them and are light in the lube area. Look under "AR-15" and "maintenance and cleaning"
or your owners manual.  Pull out the bolt and give the bolt,locking lugs ,charging handle,and the inside of the reiciever and chamber a quick clean and then proper lube. All this should take about 2 1/2 minutes the second time you do it. (the first time with the directions in your hand it will take you 10 or 15 tops)
Chances are this is all you need to get "up to speed". A little bit of grit and a tight new gun can be frustrating.  Good Luck.   If things still hang up procede to the troubleshooting forum.
Note- I have shot 4 or 5 thousand rounds thru 4 or five different AR's and don't think I used the foward assist more than twice. The foward assist is something the military wanted for full auto guns under battle conditions-you really shouldn't be needing it .
New mags will come thru dirty also.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The mags are D&H USGI from 44mag.  I went ahead and bought some gen2 magpuls for them.  I also bought a gen2 HK mag.  

On a side note, how well did I do for accuracy with this rifle considering the conditions?  I am a relativily new shooter.  I can only get to the range maybe once a month, and I've really only shot .22s in the past.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top