Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/16/2006 1:13:21 PM EDT
In the course of ordering some Colt parts, I was told:

1.  Colt does NOT order blanks from outside sources.

2.  All Colt bolts are made in their own factory.

The source for this information is closely connected to Colt.  Are these statements true according to your knowledge?  Do you have any evidence to support either answer?  THANKS!.  Not trying to start a fight, just trying to verify.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I know that Colt bolts all used to be made at the factory, but that was as of about 20 years ago. I have no idea if they've started subbing in the years since.

What's a "blank"? Are you referring to raw reciever forgings? If so, Colt has NEVER made their own raw forgings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Now that Colt owns the company that used to make their blanks I would imagine it COULD be true. Regardless, every AR company probably has their own specs and materials that they require the forger to adhere to. Could not tell you about the bolts but I think it is possible. And if not they still check each one to ensure it is up to spec.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I was told by a Colt armorer that the ONLY part Colt made in house was the bolt.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
and yet we see colts with diemaco bolts. Just wondering if those were made before or after the buy out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Gentlemen.  I meant barrel blanks.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top