Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 8:16:48 AM EDT
I put 50 rounds through a brand new RRA complete lower w/ 2-stage trigger and when I got it home I noticed that the hammer pin had worked its way to the bolt catch side of the lower.  It functioned properly when I was shooting it but is there anything I should check for?
I fear if I put a couple hundred rounds through it, it might walk away on me.

I have never taken a trigger assembly out either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!
I want to take a quick look at it first, it didn't come out to the point where it wasn't showing on the mag release side, but I haven't had one budge on me before.
I would say it only moved about 1mm.  So I just tapped it back in when I got home.

I also noticed on a bunch of pictures that the pins have 2 slots in them.  Guessing they should only go in one way?

By the way I need to learn this stuff for myself to troubleshoot problems in the future.  If I can't figure it out I will send it back.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The pin is normally held in by the leg of the hammer spring. If you peek in the upper you should be able to see whether that is the case or not.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The hammer pin is the one that is walking.

From my reading it seems like the trigger pin is held in place by the hammer spring and the hammer pin is held in place by the J-pin in the hammer.
Unfortuantely I don't know what the J-pin looks like.

I will push my hammer pin a little to either side to see if it "sticks" which should indicate a proper hold by the j-pin.  If it doesn't, then there is something wrong.

Does anyone have a pic of a J-pin on/in the hammer?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Doh! You are correct. Take a look at the "Information" section. I know there is an exploded view of an AR15 in there somehwere.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I found it and looked at it.
I also checked out the hammer pin and it seems like it has just about 1/2mm of play in the pin where I can push it from side to side.  If I push hard enough I can push the pin out, but it looks like it "should" hold on its own.
It might have been a false alarm and only pushed to the one side with the 1/2mm of play but actually didn't break free and really start to come loose.

I will keep and eye on it, or I might just pull the hammer out to see if the j-pin is in there properly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I also checked out the hammer pin and it seems like it has just about 1/2mm of play in the pin where I can push it from side to side.

It may be that the hammer pin's center groove is a bit wider than normal (or the j-pin on the RRA 2 stage hammer is thinner than the J pin on the standard hammer).

I wouldn't bother to take it apart, just watch it when you go to the range.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Take Steve up on his suggestion to return it for RRA to check it out.  There are too many variables to be able to diagnose this sort of thing sight unseen, but RRA will do right by you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Next time I get to the range I will watch it closely.
I don't want to spend the money on S&H if I am just being paranoid.  I will keep an eye on it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a hammer without a J-pin in it.  I made a J-pin once using an old hammer spring.  It still works today.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top