Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 2:26:29 PM EDT
How good is it at suppression of flash, and how loud is it compared to a phantom on a 14.5" barrel?  This would be on a home defense carbine, so noise, or lack there of, is important.  Ballistics from a 11.5 or 14.5 barrel won't matter in a house, in fact I think I'd see less wall penetration with the 11.5, but I'm still researching that.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The flashhiders, made to look like the XM177 muzzle attachment, do nothing to reduce noise.  If they did, the BATF would consider them suppressors and require the Class 3 tax stamp (you wouldn't be able to mailorder them for $15 or so).

The short (SBR or pistol length) barrels are loud.  If you're worried about noise in an enclosed area, I suggest going with something else.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:10:47 PM EDT
[#2]
minimal flash reduction and negative sound suppression since it actually sounds louder with the xm
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Very very little supression of the flash, much louder. I get a nice starburst during the day.

ETA: You could find a true XM moderator which did reduce noise. If supressors are legal in your state and you wanna jump through the hoops.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Real loud and large flash..

If you want a real XM sound modulator, Total Silence has them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#5]
No cans in MO...thanks for the input, I'll go with a 16".
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
May I suggest that, if you in fact ever do need an AR, CAR, or any other firearm for in home defence, the amount of noise it makes is going to be something you're totally unaware of.

Adrenaline will have you so hyped you won't hear or feel a thing.

BTW. My own house gun is an XM177'd class 3d SP1 Colt.  Has been for 25 years.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top