Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 2:51:01 PM EDT
I've seen a lot more and more 9mm conversions for the AR. A lot of companies are selling factory ARs in 9mm. Why? Why would you use a 9mm instead of a .223? Is there an advantage? Please explain.

Thanks,
Kris
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the most common reasons for using the 9mm in an AR platform is 1) the cost of ammo, you can get more shooting in for the same amount of $$, and 2) the 9mm is a "fun" cartridge to shoot.  Add to this the ability to shoot the 9mm safer in places such as indoor ranges, makes the 9mm a practical cal for "sport shooting".

I would like to get an AR rifle in 9mm some day.........
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm isnt cheaper than 223/ 556 if it is its not much
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#3]
All of the above reasons, and (**dons flame retardant underoos**) it could be used as a home defense gun as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think the most common reasons for using the 9mm in an AR platform is 1) the cost of ammo, you can get more shooting in for the same amount of $$, and 2) the 9mm is a "fun" cartridge to shoot.  Add to this the ability to shoot the 9mm safer in places such as indoor ranges, makes the 9mm a practical cal for "sport shooting".

I would like to get an AR rifle in 9mm some day.........

I've kinda thought about the "safer shooting" aspect. My house I'm building is on property that would be great for shooting pistol rounds, but I don't know if I like the idea of shooting higher velocity stuff such as .308 and .223.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Low recoil and cheap ammo.  There is nothing like slamming the hell out of a steel plate at 25 meters on a public range with a bunch of bystanders.  32 rounds of pure enlightenment!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok. Enlighten me. Do I need a different receiver to convert, or can I used just my standard one? What type of magazines do these use? I really do like the idea of a 9mm suppressor that I canuse on my AR, TEC 9, Ruger, etc..

Kris
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok. Enlighten me. Do I need a different receiver to convert, or can I used just my standard one? What type of magazines do these use? I really do like the idea of a 9mm suppressor that I canuse on my AR, TEC 9, Ruger, etc..

Kris

9mm Upper
9mm Buffer
9mm Mag Block
9mm Hammer
Everything else is the same, I believe.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Because the ammo weighs the same yet you have to pay extra to convert it?

Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:00:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I just enjoy shooting my 9mm rifle.  As was stated above, I can shoot steel at 25 to 50 yards and not blow holes in it.  It is just fun to shoot.  I just bought mine as another toy.  I don't shoot at an indoor range, but others say the they can't shoot 223 at some indoor ranges, but can shoot the 9mm.  If it comes down to serious business, I'll grab the M4gery.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That depends what kind of ammo you shoot.

I get Winchester White Box 100 rnd Value Packs of 115gr 9mm for $11 at Wally World. 40 rounds of .223 of the exact same type of ammo is $8. The cost difference is 20 cents per round.

A 9mm AR is not a replacement for a 5.56 AR but rather a pleasant shooting and inexpensive alternative.

BTW, just in case anyone is unware, there is a Rimfire and Pistol Caliber AR forum here that has a lot information (including a nice tacked thread on 9mm ARs).
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just do it, you'll be a happier person.  

I did and I'm happier.    

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Shooting a 9mm AR15 with a can on it is an absolute hoot.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't ask why, ask why not
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That depends what kind of ammo you shoot.

I get Winchester White Box 100 rnd Value Packs of 115gr 9mm for $11 at Wally World. 40 rounds of .223 of the exact same type of ammo is $8. The cost difference is 20 cents per round.

A 9mm AR is not a replacement for a 5.56 AR but rather a pleasant shooting and inexpensive alternative.

BTW, just in case anyone is unware, there is a Rimfire and Pistol Caliber AR forum here that has a lot information (including a nice tacked thread on 9mm ARs).

i can get winchester white box in the 50rd packs of 115gr for $4.89 a box which comes out to about $9.78 for 100rds.

also there are times where the weather will not permit outside shooting and most indoor ranges only allow pistol cal or frangible. frangible in .223 isnt cheap.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#17]
fun; something different; really cool if SBR
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#18]
A semi-automatic, American-made, less expensive version of an HK subgun.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:03:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A semi-automatic, American-made, less expensive version of an HK subgun.  

I actually sold my HK-94 (semi auto version of the MP-5) and replaced it with a 9mm AR15.

The HK was a nice firearm. It was reliable and accurate but it was also a pain to clean, expensive to modify/maintain and the manual of arms was different than an AR. My 9mm AR has also been reliable and accurate but it feels and operates exactly the same as its rifle caliber brothers. I can also use almost any AR15 accessory for it. I don't regret selling the HK for a second.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:20:32 AM EDT
[#20]
For all the reason others have listed.

Before I SBR'd it people that didn't understand 9mm AR's tried mine and started to think about getting one, they saw that it was fun to shoot.

Now they are sold.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Before I SBR'd it people that didn't understand 9mm AR's tried mine and started to think about getting one, they saw that it was fun to shoot.

Now they are sold.

Yeah, for really short SBRs, you can't get any terminal performance with a 5.56, but that's exactly what 9mm JHPs were designed for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Now they are sold.

www.goobage.com/pics/arms/9mm_sbr.jpg

Can I get some details about your upper?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I just built my first one not to long ago and it is a blast more fun than even my Krink.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Now they are sold.

Very nice weapon. I have considered doing something like that with an Oly GLOCK mag lower w/ RRA entry stock, VFG, no irons, and forward mounted OKO sight. If I do, I will also use a suppressor on it. Having an ultra quiet carbine, is one of the primary reason for going with a 9mm, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#25]
I would do it for cheap, high quality ammo ($11 100rd packs at Wally World as mentioned above).

Now price out 100 (or hell, we're ARFcommers here, 1,000rds) of high quality ammo like the WWB for .223.

The price of the 9mm is far cheaper in this instance.

I still don't think I'll get one for quite a while, though. At the tender ago of 19, nobody will sell me 9mm ammo, even if I do say it's for a rifle, anyway

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Shooting a 9mm AR15 with a can on it is an absolute hoot.

Agreed!!!!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now they are sold.

Very nice weapon. I have considered doing something like that with an Oly GLOCK mag lower w/ RRA entry stock, VFG, no irons, and forward mounted OKO sight. If I do, I will also use a suppressor on it. Having an ultra quiet carbine, is one of the primary reason for going with a 9mm, IMO.

I have a VFG on it now, and a GemTech Trinity paid for and just waiting on the governemnt.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Id advise against a 9mm conversion unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.  Saving money by using 9mm ammo is a lost cause because the upper/mags/other hardware of the conversion costs more than youll ever save.  The 9mm blowback action is no more controllable than 556, maybe worse.  A 32rd 9mm mag fully loaded is kinda heavy.   Unless you need a pistol caliber to shoot at an indoor range, Id advise against it.  Its the plinking equivalent to a 10/22, but the 10/22 is cheaper, more accurate, and more fun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:41:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Id advise against a 9mm conversion unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.  Saving money by using 9mm ammo is a lost cause because the upper/mags/other hardware of the conversion costs more than youll ever save.  The 9mm blowback action is no more controllable than 556, maybe worse.  A 32rd 9mm mag fully loaded is kinda heavy.   Unless you need a pistol caliber to shoot at an indoor range, Id advise against it.  Its the plinking equivalent to a 10/22, but the 10/22 is cheaper, more accurate, and more fun.

I don't know if I'd agree that a 10/22 vs. a 9mm AR argument. No offense. Your other argument that the cost of the conversion is not worth the ammo savings doesn't make sense to me. You can get a complete 9mm from Pete @ Legal Transfers for $800. This is just the same price as or cheaper than a 5.56 AR. If you want something fun, utilizes cheap ammo, has mountains of top notch accessories, and can shoot at an indoor range - I doubt there is a better choice than a 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a Colt LE6450 9mm Carbine.  It's 9mm only and has absolutely no problems with some conversions.  It runs 100% and I recommend a dedicated 9mm carbine to anyone that can afford a dedicated 9mm.  

I agree, it's an absolute hoot to shoot.    

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top