Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 9:12:06 AM EDT
I've been in the military fourteen years.  I've always considered myself pretty savvy when it comes to OPSEC.  I am AT Level II.  I have a throwaway cell phone registered to an address in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans. My son takes different routes home from school every day.  My wife has to have a PACE plan before she leaves the house.  We shred all of our junk mail, lest anyone stealing trash from our curbside glean the address posted prominently on our garage.
My daughter thinks her daddy is a "businesman."
So what am I missing here? What is the big deal about hiding your serial numbers when you post a pic?  The folks who built, packaged, and shipped my AR know it. So does my local dealer.  As do the all of the Bubbas who were drooling over it at the range. Now the nice lady at the Provost Marshall's office at my base knows it, along with any MP who cares to read my registration card.
There are even guys on te EE board requesting specific numbers on their lowers, in an open forum, no less!  Are they as ignorant as I?
So who are these minions, with the rotors on their black helicopter spinning merrily away, awaiting the word to descend upon my humble abode to check my serial number? Are these Muslim fellows at the local Stop -n- Rob transmittting my position to their nefarious counterparts as I drive by with my AR in my trunk?
I try to be as security concious as possible, but I remain baffled.  How is showing images of my serial number going to target me any more than anyone else once the Hillarys and Feinsteins ban our weapons once and for all? I know the good folks from this site would never give away my personal info, but that's a moot point, as every time you post anything, the address from which it eminated is clearly and forever recorded.
I guarantee if anyone ever shows up on my doorstep, I will have sold said weapon the day before...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You are in the military and your 14 year old thinks you are a business man?

Yes, there is something wrong.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds a bit on the crazy side.  no offense
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I kinda share your view, much like on my motorcycle boards, where people fuzz over their license plate.  I mean, it's not like I don't drive my car EVERYWHERE, or that my car is so special that they won't pass 3 just like it getting to my garage that they took all the time to find using secret databases...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Every time I see a serial number online, just for fun I call in and report the gun stolen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I blank mine out simply as a precaution, you just never know. After being on this board for a few years people can start to gather a lot of personal info about other members, I.e. place of employment, state of residence, type of vehicle driven even license plate numbers as mentioned earlier. I don’t have problems posting pics of my self and my guns but I try to draw a line on just how much personal info someone can gather about me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
He is the FAT guy in that AIRSOFT FATBOY picture!

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Good thing your son takes a different route home from school every day.
Make sure he doubles back on his route occasionally, just to throw off his tail.

Those librarians are so tenacious about unreturned books these days...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Every time I see a serial number online, just for fun I call in and report the gun stolen.

THAT'S why!

I assume John is kidding, but he's not the only one who's ever thought of it!

That is the only reason I would concern myself... not from some gub-ment agency, not from an anti-gun collaborative, but from a single, unorganized miscreant who, for whatever reason that may tickle their fancy, might want to call 911 and say I stole HIS AR15!

I do cringe every time I make an internet deal and send my address though.  I keep saying I'm going to get a PO box...  But then I'd have to be careful that the gub-ment wasn't documenting my shipments!  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#11]
i blank out my cousins wifes face in all pictures because she looks like this
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THAT'S why!

I assume John is kidding, but he's not the only one who's ever thought of it!

That is the only reason I would concern myself... not from some gub-ment agency, not from an anti-gun collaborative, but from a single, unorganized miscreant who, for whatever reason that may tickle their fancy, might want to call 911 and say I stole HIS AR15!

I do cringe every time I make an internet deal and send my address though.  I keep saying I'm going to get a PO box...  But then I'd have to be careful that the gub-ment wasn't documenting my shipments!  

Yes, I was just kidding.  But that is a reason I've heard from several people around here about why they black out the serial numbers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i blank out my cousins wifes face in all pictures because she looks like this

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#14]
It's simply info the 85,000 ARFcom members and the thousands of un-registered visitors don't need to see.

It's my serial nuber, noone else needs to know it.

Besides, with the right photo-editing program, you can't hardly tell it was there in the first place.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#15]
or if your good just make a SN up.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:23:19 PM EDT
[#16]
You should really burn your mail when you're done shedding it. The data is still there man.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're going  to take a lot of photos of  your gun wouldn't it be easier to just permanently take the serial number off of the gun itself?  

Edited for stupid people who may not realize I'm joking; ,...defacing serial numbers is a crime.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I've been in the military fourteen years.  I've always considered myself pretty savvy when it comes to OPSEC.  I am AT Level II.  I have a throwaway cell phone registered to an address in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans. My son takes different routes home from school every day.  My wife has to have a PACE plan before she leaves the house.  We shred all of our junk mail, lest anyone stealing trash from our curbside glean the address posted prominently on our garage.
So what am I missing here? What is the big deal about hiding your serial numbers when you post a pic?  The folks who built, packaged, and shipped my AR know it. So does my local dealer.  As do the all of the Bubbas who were drooling over it at the range. Now the nice lady at the Provost Marshall's office at my base knows it, along with any MP who cares to read my registration card.
There are even guys on te EE board requesting specific numbers on their lowers, in an open forum, no less!  Are they as ignorant as I?
So who are these minions, with the rotors on their black helicopter spinning merrily away, awaiting the word to descend upon my humble abode to check my serial number? Are these Muslim fellows at the local Stop -n- Rob transmittting my position to their nefarious counterparts as I drive by with my AR in my trunk?
I try to be as security concious as possible, but I remain baffled.  How is showing images of my serial number going to target me any more than anyone else once the Hillarys and Feinsteins ban our weapons once and for all? I know the good folks from this site would never give away my personal info, but that's a moot point, as every time you post anything, the address from which it eminated is clearly and forever recorded.
I guarantee if anyone ever shows up on my doorstep, I will have sold said weapon the day before...

You post your MOS openly on an internet forum. The first person that does an EE deal with you has all of your important info. Yep your an operator all right, not a very smart one. I know what you look like (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eighteenbravo2003/my_photos)and where you live Robert of Wimberly, that's not being very security conscience.

BTW This was waaaaayyyyyy too easy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I myself shred all junk mail and other personal info, then once a week empty the shreded stuff into a trash bag full of dirty diapers!  I figure that's a decent level of security...  

As for the license plates, someone could run the plate for a small fee with your state's BMV and figure out your name and address.  Then if you had a listed phone number they could cross-reference your name/address on switchboard.com.  All that from anyhere in the country/world, if you put that license plate on the web...  

<----------Then again there I am in my avetar in my top-secret work uniform....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You post your MOS openly on an internet forum. The first person that does an EE deal with you has all of your important info. Yep your an operator all right, not a very smart one. I know what you look like (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eighteenbravo2003/my_photos)and where you live Robert of Wimberly, that's not being very security conscience.

Well any way our "operator" has some interesting pics.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:20:02 PM EDT
[#21]
18Bravo

I found out your IP and traced it to your house.  I will be over for dinner.  And tell your kid that the different routes home from school are only making me mad.

Oh, by the way.

The chair is against the wall.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
18Bravo

I found out your IP and traced it to your house.  I will be over for dinner.  And tell your kid that the different routes home from school are only making me mad.

Oh, by the way.

The chair is against the wall.

John has a long mustache.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:43:07 PM EDT
[#23]

The different routes home thing cracked me up. I agree with the blacking out of serial numbers (unless you have a very interesting one, like how mine and my brother's are exactly the same) but different routes home and cell registered at another address and such is a bit much. Whatever floats your boat though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like that, waaaay too easy but impressive, (He was top secret right?) lmao
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Sooooo......... let's have that serial number then
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#26]
erm..... yea I don't know what to say, I've known some crazy people in my time but um..... How bout them Cowboys!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, what part of the PI is that?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

... I do the same thing. It's something to keep your tax-dollars paid BATFE agents busy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
erm..... yea I don't know what to say, I've known some crazy people in my time but um..... How bout them Cowboys!!!

The cowboys? Pssshhhh... They SUCK. Its sad to say that the patriots will win the super bowl for the next 15.2 million years....
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
So what am I missing here? What is the big deal ......
I try to be as security concious as possible, but I remain baffled.  ...

No offense intended here....but..... to have a "throwaway" cell phone, different routes for the family, using the milspeak term OPSEC, and being at level II, etc.....I would not post that information anywhere if it was me. You are describing yourself as an "operator" and I cant see why would you would ask about hiding serial numbers on pics of a weapon but more than that describe"OPSEC savvy."

Like I said, no offense.....I am sure everyone here supports our guys and gals in the military (current and past service). I do. I would just think those questions and especially the "OPSEC" comments would not posted in public. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The cowboys? Pssshhhh... They SUCK. Its sad to say that the patriots will win the super bowl for the next 15.2 million years....

Looks like they're getting blown out to me
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:07:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give you , and raise you .
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:15:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Remember to cut those fingers off so as not to leave any prints!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Remember to cut those fingers off so as not to leave any prints!

no no no.. you simply heat a steel pot until it's as hot as you cna get and you burn the prints off... jsheesh...... friggin n00bz
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#37]
No wonder the fuckin libs hate us.  With stupid comments posted like these.  Cell phone registered in other states (which he told us all about), different routes home?

Are you serious?

I can't help but laugh and worry about your mental well being.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#38]
What's AT Level II?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:10:05 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's AT Level II?

antiterrorism officer level 2

Which you can do on the web sitting at home in your underwear.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
What's AT Level II?

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]

Jeez, how did I miss this earlier!  Too much!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's AT Level II?

antiterrorism officer level 2

Which you can do on the web sitting at home in your underwear.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Am I the only one that can see through the BS that is often piled so high on this site?  This guy is CLEARLY mocking everyone who hides their SN's for their rifles.  OF COURSE none of what he said about the cell phone, different routes, ect was all MOCKERY!

Sheesh, get a life people!  Do the tin foil hats block out any perception?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#46]

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top